Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing Cube Retirements Packing Cube Retirements [emoji50]

Today's announcement about new and retired Packing Cubes caught me by surprise.
    Feeling very grateful to have picked up packing cubes for my NFTD when I had the chance Packing Cube Retirements [emoji50]
    The new Island coloured Aether is gorgeous though and I can see the new double sided cubes to separate clean/dirty laundry being very popular Packing Cube Retirements [emoji50] might have to slip one into my next order........

It's on the blog if you haven't seen the news yet:

https://blog.tombihn.com/

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

2. .html" style="margin-top:6px; margin-bottom:6px;">
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the new packing cubes look awesome. So glad to see the Western Flyer is getting some colors!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And surprising that that Stowaway cubes are also retired for such a recently launched bag.

Not a good sign for the Stowaway. Canít help but feel it might be soon for the ĎRetired Designí label too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn. I had planned to order a small Pilot packing cube today. Oh well.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    And surprising that that Stowaway cubes are also retired for such a recently launched bag.

Not a good sign for the Stowaway. Can’t help but feel it might be soon for the ‘Retired Design’ label too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the retirement of the Stowaway Aether Packing Cubes is more of a reflection of the fact that many of the people who order the Stowaway, don't decide to use the Packing Cubes -- that appears to be part of the reason the Aether Packing Cubes for the Yeoman Duffel are being retired, even though the Yeoman Duffel itself is fairly popular. (And, by the way, I think that the Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes are underappreciated for their general utility. Their square form factor and greater depth than most other entries to the packing cube line, plus the carrying handles let them occupy a unique place among the accessories.)

moriond

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the all-Aether cubes, and snagged the original large A45s, another Medium Yeoman, and a Stowaway cube before they go away. I am super-intrigued by the laundry cubes, through, and I love the new Island Aether!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad I finally ordered some recently. I love the all fabric ones.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite packing cubes are the all fabric. I don't own a single one with mesh. I have tried them, but the all fabric are more aesthetically pleasing to me. Would love to see the Island packing cubes made in all fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    My favorite packing cubes are the all fabric. I don't own a single one with mesh. I have tried them, but the all fabric are more aesthetically pleasing to me. Would love to see the Island packing cubes made in all fabric.
    Some forum members prefer to use the mesh cubes. I'd just add that with the new Laundry style packing cubes, you can either have your clothes contained by all fabric or with mesh on one side, because the Aether divider can be pushed to act as a boundary for the second side when mesh is on one side of the cube, or when Aether fabric is on one side of the cube (or you can have clothes in either partition, as your clean and dirty clothes stored within the cube changes.)

While I also like using the Eagle Creek Specter II packing cubes, the advantage you have with the Aether cubes is that they'll keep their shape even when underpacked, while the Specter II cubes basically take their shape from having fully packed contents -- that's harder to maintain in the large size cubes, unless you always have these cubes packed completely full. So there's a different balance between structure and weight achieved with the Aether packing cubes.

Until now, we haven't had a laundry packing cube matched to the rectangular style. (I should add that I'm generally used to "flat packing", so the rectangular format appeals to me).

moriond

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOOOO, I've been wanting laundry packing cubes, but I never though TB would make them, so I stocked up on the Eagle Creek ones.

Must . . . order . . . more . . . bags. BUY ALL THE BAGS!!!!

My checkbook is doomed.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think TB doesnít need any packing cubes in its lineup. The market is flooded with packing cubes.

Where TB excels is in its innovative designs whether itís their travel bags or their accessories. Travel trays and snake charmers brought me to TB, the larger bags keep me coming back.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'd just add that with the new Laundry style packing cubes, you can either have your clothes contained by all fabric or with mesh on one side, because the Aether divider can be pushed to act as a boundary for the second side when mesh is on one side of the cube, or when Aether fabric is on one side of the cube (or you can have clothes in either partition, as your clean and dirty clothes stored within the cube changes.)
    moriond
    Thanks so much, @moriond. Just to be sure I understand: With the laundry packing cubes, you can place all your clothes on one side of the partition and use it to full capacity (fitting just as much as the non-laundry cube of equal size does)? This was a big question of mine! If that's the case, they should be very useful.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was waiting to get some cubes, but the mesh has sent me away. As someone else noted, the market is flooded with cubes - but they're all mesh. I already have mesh cubes. I was looking forward to getting some that were solid, not mesh. The halcyon ones looked like just the ticket, but the aether ones look too thin and the colors are ugly.

One less thing to buy, I guess.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a bunch of laundry cubes for my A45! These look perfect. For a long time I've been taking an extra empty small cube or stuff sack along to transfer dirty laundry to. I really like the look of these, and how they perfectly fit the A45. I also prefer the mesh so I can see what is inside. Sometimes I forget which color cube corresponds to which items. Can't wait for these to show up!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of mesh because in my experience it snags & tears on a lot of things, but this mesh looks like it might be a fairly tight weave and more durable. TB has a great rep for durability and performance, so I'm not as worried on that front.

I have a lot of Eagle Creek silnylon cubes, bought well before I ever heard of TB, and love them for how light they are... I also actually like that they are slippery, for some tight packing occasions, because they don't get caught/jammed easily. My packing is usually oriented around what clothes & stuff I want to bring, pick the cubes that best fit the stuff & usage pattern for that specific trip, and then fit the stuff to which bag makes the most sense...

With all that being said, I bought the aether carbon A30 end cubes when they came back in stock the last time because they are sized so specifically to the end pockets vs anything from EC. The aether material is an interested alternative to the silnylon but not different enough to swap out my entire EC collection. Given the TB quality and cost, I think it makes sense that they narrowed their offering down to the big hitters and ones that cube the most awkward spaces.

For those who haven't touched the aether fabric, ask Customer Service for a swatch. It is indeed very thin, but doesn't feel fragile and has a nice papery feel to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast