Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel cubelet stuff

I've been using a Side Effect as my EDC for about a year now, and while it was ok, I always thought if the Travel cubelet would be better. I liked the looks of it, rather than the function. Part of it might have been, the fact I didn't use and pouches to organise my 'stuff'.
    So, I'm now the proud owner of the TC in grey/purely interior. I'm trying to organiser my 'stuff' again, but thinking will use a pouch or two, to make better use of the space.
    How does anyone organise their 'stuff' in the TC, pouches/sizes/photos would be good thanks.
    TIA
    Jaffa

(I can put a list of what my EDC 'stuff; is, but going back to work now!)
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be interested to find out how other people feel about this because I just got my TC and as soon as I put my SE stuff in it I got really annoyed with the vertical orientation. I feel like I can put half as much stuff in the TC even though it's 20% bigger than the SE.

But if you're not comparing directly to the SE, and you just want wallet/phone/keys, I can see it being great for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I'll be interested to find out how other people feel about this because I just got my TC and as soon as I put my SE stuff in it I got really annoyed with the vertical orientation. I feel like I can put half as much stuff in the TC even though it's 20% bigger than the SE.

But if you're not comparing directly to the SE, and you just want wallet/phone/keys, I can see it being great for that.
    Technically, the TC is only 13.3% bigger than the SE...
    I find that I tend to fit the same items equally well in both, but I'm never pushing the limit of what they can hold, just by nature of what I carry. The vertical is more useful/intuitive to me when I'm carrying my 16oz Nalgene bottle...but I use them fairly interchangeably.
    Both seem small enough to me that I don't use any accessories other than the pockets/dividers that are built in.
    I can imagine that if folks are carrying many small items that are easy to loose, accessories would be helpful.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like the Travel Cubelet does best with flat items that make use of the vertical space. Also, unlike the Side Effect, it's better if the contents are relatively few in number, so there isn't too much digging around for what you want. Mine typically carries:
    * pen in pen slot
    * in interior pocket: lip balm, Slim Rescue Howler whistle (it's flat), 1 oz bottle of hand sanitizer, locator Tile
    * in main compartment: Fjallraven wallet, phone, and small 3rd party pouch
    * in outer pocket: Tom Bihn pocket pouch with train pass, work ID, contact card, and one credit card

In other words, tiny stuff in the internal pocket, larger flat things in the main compartment.
    And one flat pouch in the outer pocket, which is easy to extract when I need scan my train pass.

I like the pen slot, which the Side Effect didn't have, and personally prefer the vertical orientation. I can usually grab what I want by feel, because each area has relatively few items and they don't change much.

I don't actually carry my keys in the TC.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 05-05-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Technically, the TC is only 13.3% bigger than the SE...
    I find that I tend to fit the same items equally well in both, but I'm never pushing the limit of what they can hold, just by nature of what I carry. The vertical is more useful/intuitive to me when I'm carrying my 16oz Nalgene bottle...but I use them fairly interchangeably.
    Both seem small enough to me that I don't use any accessories other than the pockets/dividers that are built in.
    I can imagine that if folks are carrying many small items that are easy to loose, accessories would be helpful.
    Yes that is me: many small items that are easy to loose. I consolidate when I can but I get annoyed by even minimal rummaging. The SE pockets are perfect for what I carry and I love being able to see everything without moving anything.

Forgive me on the percent thing. For a minute I thought the SE was 1L and the TC 1.2L, not 1.5 and 1.7L. Should have said 200ML bigger, which to me should be one additional item in the TC over the SE, but that isn't the case (for me).

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also find that the vertical orientation makes retrieving things slightly more difficult, because the only thing that's tall enough to reach the top of the TC is my phone. I do use it occasionally (usually in combination with a backpack), but rarely on its own.

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've shared this pic a couple of times now, but this is my exact TC EDC loadout. I prefer the vertical orientation of the TC and Side Kick over the horizontal orientation of the Side Effect. I like to organize my things stacked like a bookshelf, so it's easy for me to just open the top and grab what I need without looking into the bag. Also, I found the TC to be less tippy than the Side Effect; I had to load the SE just-so in order for it not to flip over, especially when retrieving my glasses or phone.

Travel cubelet stuff-tbedc2-jpg

Interior pocket: phone (used to take pic)
    Pen slot: pen
    Main compartment: mini OP (wallet), notebook (A6), eyeglass case (with 2 pairs of Rx glasses)
    Exterior Compartment: keys clipped to O-ring, and the hand wipes, band aids, and blotting linens are floating in that pocket. Eventually, I'll order another mini OP to corral that stuff.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the comparison tool, I have studied the dimension of the Travel Cubelet and the Side Effect, and I am very confused.

The Travel Cubelet fits perfectly inside the Small Cafe Bag but I could never fit an SE in there.

The Travel Cubelet feels much smaller and daintier than the SE. The TC dimension are close to the 3D OC.

So putting them together, the TC is more square and the SE more rectangular.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Using the comparison tool, I have studied the dimension of the Travel Cubelet and the Side Effect, and I am very confused.

The Travel Cubelet fits perfectly inside the Small Cafe Bag but I could never fit an SE in there.

The Travel Cubelet feels much smaller and daintier than the SE. The TC dimension are close to the 3D OC.

I think the extra carrying capacity comes from the greater depth of the TC. I'm not sure whether it translates in practice though, as I've never filled either of them to capacity.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

More geeky food for thought...

I think that there are several things at play here, including the aspect ratio.
    Part of the perception of the bag may be due to the zipper location. The SE opening is on an 8.7" length and the TC on a 5.7" width. Some people may not be comfortable packing/filling too close to the opening because it's easier for items to fall out... The volume close to the opening is therefor larger on the SE than on the TC.

Another factor in performance & perception is the fabric... SE is 1050 ballistic/200 halcyon, 525 ballistic/210 ballistic or 200 halcyon, or 400 halcyon/200 halcyon and weighs 5.8-6.4oz
    The TC is 525 ballistic/aether, 210 ballistic/aether, or 200 halcyon/aether and weighs 3.6 - 4.3oz.

So the heaviest TC is lighter than the lightest SE.
    Many threads/posts have discussed the relative feel/difference/perception of packability/stretch across materials... and overall squishability in general (is that a word? can we make it a word?)

I traded away my 525 ballistic SE because it felt too heavy/rigid for such a small bag... I can't fathom having a 1050 ballistic... I did keep a 400/200 halcyon one. The opening span of the SE is larger than the TC so the extra fabric rigidity of the heavier materials probably helps prevent the bag from collapsing on itself too much.

I have TCs in both 525 ballistic and 210 ballistic... the 525 is noticeably heavier and more rigid... the 210 works better for me as a bag in bag...and the 525 feels more substantial when carrying by the strap.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a black TC and it gets used only for very specific uses.

1. The school run: walking to/from school with the kids.

Front Pocket
    House Keys

Main Pocket
    Phone
    Wallet
    Lip balm which lives in the pen slot
    Apple AirPods
    Small snacks for the walk home

I prefer the vertical look of this to a side effect for such a small carry.

2. Some types of travel: carrying the important items with me. Lives inside another personal item bag but can be removed to keep close to me if I leave the other bag somewhere.

Same carry as above but with passport which lives in front or main pocket. And perhaps a kindle in case but it would be quite full with that also.

Again the vertical orientation seems to work just a little better in fitting into other bags compared to the side effect (although not much in it).

In the U.K. thereís a current trend for men to carry small vertical orientated bags. Not that Iím a follower of trends much but nice as I already carried a SCB. The TC feels like a smaller SCB which suits me.

My wife would always however go for her Aubergine Side Effect for the same use. She likes the Ďlookí of the horizontal and the wider access.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the Travel Cubelet, and the pen slot, but I couldn't fit as much in it as the SE, either. I'm definitely a horizontal orientation person. Also, the SE fit perfectly in the front of my Pilot, and the TC did not. I like having my Pilot as my personal item carry on, and having my "purse" inside it. Then I use the "purse" when I get where I'm going. I liked the idea of being able to get into my "purse" while it was still in my Pilot (vertical orientation), but the TC just didn't fit well. So for me, it's the SE.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I like the idea of the Travel Cubelet, and the pen slot, but I couldn't fit as much in it as the SE, either. I'm definitely a horizontal orientation person. Also, the SE fit perfectly in the front of my Pilot, and the TC did not. I like having my Pilot as my personal item carry on, and having my "purse" inside it. Then I use the "purse" when I get where I'm going. I liked the idea of being able to get into my "purse" while it was still in my Pilot (vertical orientation), but the TC just didn't fit well. So for me, it's the SE.
    The SE and pilot combo is perfect, like a packing cube shaped specifically for it. Iím planning on picking up one of the Steel/Island pilots when they are in stock which may then sway me back to using a SE again.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like pouches are the way to go, with making the TC work better for me....
    I have a larger size op in purple (think its medium size), which is slighter smaller than the TC itself. So will look at getting some pouches, possibly one for the larger compartment and 1 for the size zipped compartment.
    Work time...
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    Looks like pouches are the way to go, with making the TC work better for me....
    I have a larger size op in purple (think its medium size), which is slighter smaller than the TC itself. So will look at getting some pouches, possibly one for the larger compartment and 1 for the size zipped compartment.
    Work time...
    Jaffa
    I think the size for the main compartment is small. Mini is the size that best fits the front pocket. Iíve also taken a photo with a medium but thatís much larger than the TC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast