1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-TB Organizational Pouches with clips

You can find plenty of these on Amazon, although I've never had good look with quality. The zippers in-particular tend to break off.

This post is not intended to ask for TB alternatives, though I don't mind the thought. Rather, given that TB packs are the only packs I've seen with o-rings (not in Timbuk2, LL Bean, et al), what is the point of the clip on these organizational pouches? Where do they see practical use?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EDR1633 View Post
    You can find plenty of these on Amazon, although I've never had good look with quality. The zippers in-particular tend to break off.

This post is not intended to ask for TB alternatives, though I don't mind the thought. Rather, given that TB packs are the only packs I've seen with o-rings (not in Timbuk2, LL Bean, et al), what is the point of the clip on these organizational pouches? Where do they see practical use?
    Welcome to the forums, @EDR1633,

I'm not sure why those other pouches have snap hook clips, but you can certainly adapt bags that don't have built-in O-rings by using add-ons to the standard webbing. For example, here's the reply post [#26] I wrote to @Meglet in her How do you deal with car keys???? thread. It uses One-Tigris add-on clips that were mentioned by @ceepee in a different context:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Meglet,

If you don't want the position of your carabiner attachment to the Small Cafe Bag webbing strap to shift, you can use one of the OneTigris clips that @ceepee mentioned in a reply post (#224) in the 2017 Wish List thread:

The usage case was for attaching an "O-ring" to the Synapse webbing, but these devices can also be rotated 90 degrees, or 45 degrees and click into a fixed position, if you want to attach to the webbing of your Cafe Bag, and not have the ring slide along the webbing, as a Carabiner would. Then just clip any keystrap onto the ring. Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I tried this with a Cafe Bag.

Personally, I use a Mini Q-Kit to hold keys (and a small flashlight).

HTH

moriond
    More generally, you're correct that O-Rings are a staple of the Tom Bihn organizational system, and the All About O-Rings blog post contains the Ode to O-Rings video with suggestions:

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I may have to get creative though. I found a post somewhere on this forum that I forgot to keep where someone had made their own o-ring attachments. Could come in handy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagle Creek makes some pouches (pack-it sacs) which have clips; I've used them with TB bags and keystraps before. Most bags have key clips or molle type attachments but no other brand has the sort of attachments like TB to my knowledge. As for why, so you can clip them to things What sorts of things? Belt loops, keyrings, possibly molle based attachment points, etc.

Non-TB Organizational Pouches with clips-1336_blue_sea_l-jpg
    Last edited by hachkc; 05-17-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I may have to get creative though. I found a post somewhere on this forum that I forgot to keep where someone had made their own o-ring attachments. Could come in handy.
    I have a small collection of non-TB small bags. Some are from Muji, others are lightweight pencil cases, and some are those little toiletry bags you get on long international flights from non-US (ahem) carriers. Many have a little loop on one end of the zipper, something to grab on to when opening or closing the case. Over time I have also acquired those cheap badge lanyards from conferences and meetings. I cut the lanyard (usually a 1 cm wide ribbon), and keeping the lanyard spring-hook on it I just thread it back through the loop on the case and either tie or sew the ends together. Or, I do that before putting it through the case loop, that is, create a loop with the small hook, and just transfer it from case to case. There is always leftover lanyard to use elsewhere, and those little hooks just seem to show up over time. Paracord also works.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be the O-ring post you're referring to.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The odd bag here and there may have D-rings or loops inside on which to hook pouches with clips. On pouches like the Eagle Creek examples shown above I like to tie an adjustable length of cord through the fabric tab at one end and, when needed, hook the clip on to it to make an impromptu handle around the back or top of the pouch. Handy for when you want to set the pouch aside but would rather hang it off of something rather than lay it down on a dirty surface.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A note about the Eagle Creek Pack-It pouches: the backing material on the interior is some sort of clear plastic that wears through too easily if you put any hard objects like pens or gadgets in there. I sold my unused Eagle Creek pouches once I wore through the first one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Muji! I just got a few of their pouches and when paired with a TB lanyard with a clip, they're delightful. This pouch was my toiletry kit on my last trip.