Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Twin Cities Burbclave
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's what I've done so far:

Putting together a sewing kit?-sewingtinopen_small-png

These are 1 ounce screw-top containers (about 2"/5cm across, about .75" tall). Initially I put the pins (both stick and safety), and the needles in one, and the bobbins and buttons in another. But the tin is actually tall enough to accommodate all of it in ONE tin. So now, the bobbins are in a tiny ziplock bag, which makes them easy to lift out to get to the pins and buttons. The needles are in their original cardboard, but I trimmed the card/folder to fit inside the lids, and it stays there by itself.

It's tiny - here's a picture for reference.

Putting together a sewing kit?-sewingtinclosed_small-png

There's no cutting tool (though the tin could accommodate something REALLY tiny), and no tape measure, but I have those in my knitting notions bag already. My main goal was to have real amounts of decent quality thread, and longer needles than what's usually included. This worked really well.

I'd intended to put them in a separate organizer pouch, but as it turned out, my daughter had ordered a medium double organizer pouch for her MCB, and I'd ordered a small one for my MB, and she really wanted the smaller one as the medium pouch was really large in relation to her bag. So I traded. It's much bigger than I need for my knitting notions, so I just dropped this mini kit in there with my knitting notions. I'm going to use the clear pocket for the knitting patterns that are living in my MB. Most of the time I won't need to even remove it - it'll show through the clear window.

Added: Now I need to figure out what to do with the other 4 tins.
    Last edited by CathyWeeks; 06-05-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyWeeks View Post
    Ok, here's what I've done so far:

Putting together a sewing kit?-sewingtinopen_small-png

These are 1 ounce screw-top containers (about 2"/5cm across, about .75" tall). Initially I put the pins (both stick and safety), and the needles in one, and the bobbins and buttons in another. But the tin is actually tall enough to accommodate all of it in ONE tin. So now, the bobbins are in a tiny ziplock bag, which makes them easy to lift out to get to the pins and buttons. The needles are in their original cardboard, but I trimmed the card/folder to fit inside the lids, and it stays there by itself.

It's tiny - here's a picture for reference.

Putting together a sewing kit?-sewingtinclosed_small-png

There's no cutting tool (though the tin could accommodate something REALLY tiny), and no tape measure, but I have those in my knitting notions bag already. My main goal was to have real amounts of decent quality thread, and longer needles than what's usually included. This worked really well.

I'd intended to put them in a separate organizer pouch, but as it turned out, my daughter had ordered a medium double organizer pouch for her MCB, and I'd ordered a small one for my MB, and she really wanted the smaller one as the medium pouch was really large in relation to her bag. So I traded. It's much bigger than I need for my knitting notions, so I just dropped this mini kit in there with my knitting notions. I'm going to use the clear pocket for the knitting patterns that are living in my MB. Most of the time I won't need to even remove it - it'll show through the clear window.

What a nice kit! Thanks for sharing Putting together a sewing kit?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyWeeks View Post
    If you make duplicate kits, would be a good idea for stocking stuffers or similar...or to round up on a swap

Forum Member
    Twin Cities Burbclave
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If you make duplicate kits, would be a good idea for stocking stuffers or similar...or to round up on a swap
    I've been thinking about turning the other 4 into sewing kits as well. Hadn't thought about how to disperse them, beyond maybe putting them in my cars, or putting one in my toiletries kit. (Though that still leaves one additional). Is there a swap thread here on these forums? Or elsewhere?

Added: Nevermind. I found the swap thread. :-D

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its amazing how few decent sewing kits are available, and how expensive the good ones can get.
    In my (home-made) sewing kit I have some extra-heavy thread (I think one is some army-surplus suture thread....), and a couple of buttons, one dress-shirt size, another big one that would work as the top button on a pair of jeans. In the past, I have used the heavy thread to repair camping equipment or shoes, and several times, the top button on a pair of pants. (I should eat less, I guess....). Long ago, I used to carry a very small pair of pliers with my sewing kit. They really helped to grab big needles when sewing very thick cloth.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally cobble things together as I find them and keep them in an old altoids tin

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2