1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you store your spare straps when not in use?

I got a Travel Cubelet to live inside my MB as an organizer, and it will be where my wallet goes, and a few other EDC stuff that I must have, so when I want to go light, I just grab my TC and go. I know this is a common usage (TC or SK or whatever). Anyway - where do you put the TC handle, when it's inside the MB? And for that matter, where do you keep other non- or little-used straps (like the strap that goes across the back of the MB to stabilize it when on a bike or whatever).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an S-biner carabinder to hang them in my closet where I store my bags and accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyWeeks View Post
    I got a Travel Cubelet to live inside my MB as an organizer, and it will be where my wallet goes, and a few other EDC stuff that I must have, so when I want to go light, I just grab my TC and go. I know this is a common usage (TC or SK or whatever). Anyway - where do you put the TC handle, when it's inside the MB? And for that matter, where do you keep other non- or little-used straps (like the strap that goes across the back of the MB to stabilize it when on a bike or whatever).
    My current EDC is a Side Effect in a Parental Unit and I normally just leave the strap on the Side Effect, even though it's kind of annoying sometimes (I keep the SE in the center of one of the large side pockets).

If I were using a TC and I didn't want the strap on it, I might wind the strap up and put it in the TC front zippered pocket. Or I might leave it on but try to keep the excess out of the way by tying the entire strap in a knot.

I also leave the waist strap on the SE most of the time as well, which is also annoying as it adds bulk, but I guess I am more annoyed by NOT having the straps when I want them.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep the straps on all the smaller bags used as accessories (FJN, SE) inside my big EDC, the LSB or S19.

The SE strap is doubled up, to look like a stylish mini purse.

The TC Simple Strap was removed, when it became an extra pocket, inside my small EDC, the SCB.
    However the Simple Strap is still in the SBC to be switched between other accessories inside the SBC.

I mostly have Short Key Straps in black which came from the TB Bags I bought.

Sometimes, quick access to one accessory will be more efficient if that accessory has a Longer Strap, the doubled up Simple Strap does the job.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I guess I am more annoyed by NOT having the straps when I want them.
    Same here. For this reason, I always keep all the spare straps for each bag with the bag it is meant for.
    But I don't buy a ton of extra straps, so there is not a lot of bulk to be concerned about.
    For the straps that are somewhat long, I tie them up loosely into flat knots and put them inside the bag, usually in the least-accessed pocket.
    Sometimes I leave the unused straps in their proper place on the outside of the bag and tie them so that they stay mostly out of the way, such as the waist strap on my Large Cafe Bag. ITW Nexus makes excellent 1in webbing keepers called the Web Dominator here: Web Dominator | NA ITW Nexus

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put it all into a small snake charmer. Extra key straps on one side and waist straps, shoulder straps (the smaller, thin ones), zipper pulls, sternum straps, etc. in the other side. I need to find a better option though to free up the snake charmer.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *might* have a 2 gallon Rubbermaid tub full of pouches, key straps, and shoulder straps not currently being used as part of the family’s EDC on standby...

(this alleged stash of goodies is what enables me to always have the perfect TB accoutrements for any occasion and has earned me the label of Super Swiss Army Ninja Packing Mom)
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Usually I tuck a Travel Cubelet into the Makers Bag (my music gig bag), but the shoulder strap does tend to get in the way. I fold the strap and wrap it with an elastic band, the kind for ponytails, then it fits inside the Travel Cubelet and is out of the way. If I need to dash into a store, it's quick and easy to attach.

Key straps hang off a split ring key ring, ready for use. For bags I use more often, I know what type and length of key straps I prefer and they live in that bag. My less used bags are still being tested for optimum accessorization, so I like to have extra key straps handy. elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones I am really not using are all shoved in a PCSB that lives in my packing cube storage drawer. It's a snarly mess of a black hole, so I need to dump it out on a large, flat surface to find anything LOL

If it's a case of not using the strap on a bag right now, but might need to at a moment's notice, I try to find a place inside the bag for it. For instance: if my PCSB is in use as a packing cube inside an Aeronaut, then I keep my simple shoulder strap in the front pocket of the PCSB in case I have to grab it out and transform it to shoulder bag mode.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spare accessories and straps go in my Sitka (Where do you store your spare straps when not in use?) pcsb, which is stored in my s25 when not in use.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB