Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not noticed laundry cubes. They are new?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by franzdom View Post
    I had not noticed laundry cubes. They are new?
    Yup, back in March

https://blog.tombihn.com/new-packing-cubes

EDIT: Note that they also, not long after, discontinued the Aether Carbon material Frown
    Last edited by G42; 07-04-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @GoNavy,

If you use the link I gave above to the Laundry Stuff Sacks are here thread, specifically, if you start at my post #16
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...html#post74354
    you'll be able to see how these work. I'll excerpt a bit (I'm leaving out earlier discussion in answer to how this fits with a variety of specific bags, and that omits some text and pictures at the beginning; there are many more pictures in the thread that give comparisons with other accessories)

In general, there's a lot of information on new products in the threads that are started when these items first debut. Particularly in the older threads, you won't necessarily see this in pictures at the start of a thread, because the original poster will just be the first person to receive the product (in this case, @GoStanford got a fast shipment because her proximity to the store let her get the product early, and she graciously posted initial pictures for everyone). When the forum mods add to these threads, they/we try to anticipate and answer questions new users will have -- but in this case I didn't receive an ordered TLSS until much later, so my posts and pictures show up later in the thread. But, in general, if you take a look at threads linked in our post answers, you're likely to find pictures and text that will answer many of your questions.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The first 2 pictures show the TLSS viewed with the floating divider pushed all the way to the top end. It's like a wind sock. The third picture shows the TLSS with the floating divider pushed all the way to the bottom. There's basically an inner cylinder that is about half the height of the whole TLSS that can be pushed to one end or the other -- or anywhere in between. The edge stops about 2" form the ends of the outer cylinder so you can pull the drawstring to close it.
    Excellent explanation. Now I realize what I'm looking at. At first I thought there was no divider; then I thought it was a fixed divider and one end of the tube was not as deep as the other. It's a very clever design. I like it even though I don't own one..yet. Logically, if I fill it up with clean stuff, the same stuff when dirty will fit in!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Cubes, vs tubes/sacks

https://www.tombihn.com/products/pac...=6900211777599

A30 & 45 sizes, plus the new Aether Island colour Smilie
    What gorgeous pink color is that halcyon?!?
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    What gorgeous pink color is that halcyon?!?
    Ultraviolet, but it's actually purple, just looks pinkish in pics.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Ultraviolet, but it's actually purple, just looks pinkish in pics.
    It’s my favorite too!

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had forgotten about this thread and I don't see that I had posted back about the laundry sack I tried.

I ordered the A30 stuff sack and it didn't work how I had thought it would. The drawstring closed from the side instead of the top so it left a gap after closing. I compared it to my current laundry drawstring bag and that cinches from the top so it closes completely. I'm not worried about thing falling out, but I'm worried about keeping smells in. Ideally I'd want to bag to fully close so it doesn't smell up the rest of my suitcase.

I'm waiting for the nws laundry cubes to come back in stock and I'll try that next.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I had forgotten about this thread and I don't see that I had posted back about the laundry sack I tried.

I ordered the A30 stuff sack and it didn't work how I had thought it would. The drawstring closed from the side instead of the top so it left a gap after closing. I compared it to my current laundry drawstring bag and that cinches from the top so it closes completely. I'm not worried about thing falling out, but I'm worried about keeping smells in. Ideally I'd want to bag to fully close so it doesn't smell up the rest of my suitcase.

I'm waiting for the nws laundry cubes to come back in stock and I'll try that next.

The laundry cubes are pretty slick. I know they talk about putting the dirty clothes on the mesh side where they can get some air, but I'd be more inclined to put the clean stuff on the mesh side and the dirty on the sealed side.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    The laundry cubes are pretty slick. I know they talk about putting the dirty clothes on the mesh side where they can get some air, but I'd be more inclined to put the clean stuff on the mesh side and the dirty on the sealed side.
    Not sure where that was... the product page says: "Clean clothes go in the Mesh side and dirty clothes go in the Aether side."

That's how I'm using mine...clean with the mesh, dirty fully enclosed in the aether side
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Not sure where that was... the product page says: "Clean clothes go in the Mesh side and dirty clothes go in the Aether side."

That's how I'm using mine...clean with the mesh, dirty fully enclosed in the aether side
    Smilie
    I might have been hallucinating... I'm high on Tom.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know about the Laundry Packing Cubes. I love my laundry sack thing for socks and underwear, but I had no idea this was now a thing elsewhere.

Next time I need packing cubes, I know what I'm getting.

Oh, and I have not noticed any leaking scents between the sides of mine. It's a pretty sturdy material for an organizer. But maybe if your stuff really stinks, I could imagine it stinking up your whole bag, not just the stuff sack. But that's unavoidable.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I did not know about the Laundry Packing Cubes. I love my laundry sack thing for socks and underwear, but I had no idea this was now a thing elsewhere.

Next time I need packing cubes, I know what I'm getting.

Oh, and I have not noticed any leaking scents between the sides of mine. It's a pretty sturdy material for an organizer. But maybe if your stuff really stinks, I could imagine it stinking up your whole bag, not just the stuff sack. But that's unavoidable.
    Thanks for the info! I picked up the laundry cubes last week, one of each Aeronaut 30 size. I have an A45, but I think the A30 cubes will be more versatile for other bags.

They seem perfect and since I use cubes anyway when I pack, it should fit better in my suitcase.

I usually only throw socks and underwear in a laundry bag since I'll re-wear my clothes and come back with all dirty clothes that need to be washed. I imagine I'll use the smaller cube for that instead of the laundry bag. The larger cube, I'm still debating about. I guess I could use it as a normal packing cube and it'll be nice to have the option of a laundry section to put clothes in that know I won't wear again for the duration of the trip.

Last edited by nolegrl; 10-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find Laundry Packing Cubes on the Tom Bihn website until I went to Aeronaut 45 Cubes. Aha! There they were, buried under size choices.

I just did a ten day trip, in and out of six different hotels, using the Bihn laundry stuff sack. I packed a roll on and a Co-Pilot. I found that the Bihn laundry stuff sack doesn't work for me because its cylindrical bulk made packing my roll on more difficult. I might have to try a packing cube next.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is the one I use my with my Aeronaut 30 for socks and underwear. And maybe a swimsuit, some T-shirts, or something. The cylindrical shape is supposed to fit nicely into the side pocket of my Aeronaut 30, which it does, but I even use it on other bags or other places.

I find its cylindrical shape works well for socks, underwear, and t-shirts. I roll my boxer-briefs, t-shirts, and swiming trunks into little cylinders themselves and pack them in there upright. Socks just go in however. Not everything stays organized, but it's fine; dirty is separate from clean and you don't need to organize your socks that much. It's plenty big for lots of stuff -- at least for a man who doesn't need bras -- so you don't need to be super-efficient about it.

Which brings me to its only arguable drawback for me. Since I can certainly pack 7-12 days worth of socks+underwear in this thing, I find myself doing exactly that. It's only for socks and underwear, I might as well fill it up, right? And it fits so nicely into my Aeronaut's side pocket, might as well have it live there, right?

In reality, an entire side pocket of socks+underwear on my Aeronaut is overpacking. To put it another way, my variant is 5 liters, and I should not be bringing 5 liters worth of underwear; it's too much. But I find myself doing it, since sort of by using it to organize socks/underwear, I'm allocating 5 liters to socks and underwear. Granted, I can just not fill it up all the way and use that space for something else, but that's not the automatic thing to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast