Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipper pull cord

What cord is used on the TB bags?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly it is similar to a Type 1 paracord. It is a woven external sheath with a single internal cord. You can purchase a variety of colors that match their offerings from the website. If you want more variety you can purchase several different weights and colors of paracord from many different vendors across the internets.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve used both the earlier TB zip pulls with plastic tabs and the later ones that you tie with an overhand knot, but now I prefer to make my own with paracord. That way I can use different knots, mainly snake knots and lanyard knots and sometimes a short Solomonís bar. The lanyard knot is also great in leather.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchase 425 paracord for my pulls, usually through Amazon or paracord planet. Seems to be the same size as those shipped with their bags and it fits fine within the plastic ends they include.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just upgraded my 5-year-old, well-work black S25 with wasabi interior in the older outside fabric to a new S25 in that gorgeous Nebulous Gray 525 with the NW Sky interior. If it's not broke, why fix it? The new bag has zippers installed which the old one never did so I added cord pulls in "figure 8 style" to the existing zippers in Island and I love the look (for now...). One thing I love is the ability to occasionally scratch the "new bag" itch by swapping out cord pulls and changing the whole look...

I really want to cut the zippers off, but I'm nervous because that can't be undone... Wondering if anyone has any post-zipper-removal regrets...

Zipper pull cord-tb-jpg
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    I just upgraded my 5-year-old, well-work black S25 with wasabi interior in the older outside fabric to a new S25 in that gorgeous Nebulous Gray 525 with the NW Sky interior. If it's not broke, why fix it? The new bag has zippers installed which the old one never did so I added cord pulls in "figure 8 style" to the existing zippers in Island and I love the look (for now...). One thing I love is the ability to occasionally scratch the "new bag" itch by swapping out cord pulls and changing the whole look...

I really want to cut the zippers off, but I'm nervous because that can't be undone... Wondering if anyone has any post-zipper-removal regrets...

Zipper pull cord-tb-jpg
    Well... I have never cut the zippers off and I would advise against it because it will have an effect on resale/trade value. Also, it can't be undone, but, as you say, you can change the cord and change the look of the bag without removing the pulls.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually cut off the metal zipper pulls myself. I know it may affect resale value but I can live with that. I really like making my own cord pulls, and also I prefer the silence. But to each their own.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Well... I have never cut the zippers off and I would advise against it because it will have an effect on resale/trade value.
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    ...I know it may affect resale value but I can live with that...
    Hold the phone. People SELL their TB bags?
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually to buy more TB bags Zipper pull cord

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've either sold or traded bags I found I wasn't using for MORE TB bags. I never have buyers remorse, because I can always sell or swap until I get the right bag combination that works for me. Plus, sometimes I really want the newer features, like the zip tops on the shop bags, and the locking zipper pulls on the Aeronauts, or the new laundry cubes rather than the regular cubes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True story! My dream bag (Aubergine/Sitka A30) came up for sale on eBay recently. I would have spent more than the already pretty high asking price if the owner hadn't cut the pulls off, rendering the bag unlockable. So... If you plan on cutting off zipper pulls, think carefully about what you might want to secure in that pocket going forward.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    True story! My dream bag (Aubergine/Sitka A30) came up for sale on eBay recently. I would have spent more than the already pretty high asking price if the owner hadn't cut the pulls off, rendering the bag unlockable. So... If you plan on cutting off zipper pulls, think carefully about what you might want to secure in that pocket going forward.
    My A45 doesnít have the lock pulls. But I use the packsafe wire locks. https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/pac...iABEgLzfvD_BwE

They work a treat. I loop it through the ďloopĒ on the zipper. Not the actually zipper pull. Decent enough lock as far as locks go I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    Yep that bag was top of my mind. It was sad watching it go unsold for so many weeks, in such a gorgeous color! It seems to have sold now but yeah, Aubergine and Sitka would have been snapped up in minutes if the zipper pills hadn't been cut off.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I usually cut off the metal zipper pulls myself. I know it may affect resale value but I can live with that. I really like making my own cord pulls, and also I prefer the silence. But to each their own.
    Iím sort of with you here. I did a lot of the earlier TB plastic ended pulls, then the later over-hand knotted ones, but now I like to tie my own using lanyard knots, snake knots or Solomonís bars. Much nicer, and quieter too. However, I canít bring myself to cut anything off my TB bags, so the metal pulls stay.... for now anyway!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have left every single zipper pull in all of my TB Bags.

I placed zipper pulls, the black ones that came with the bags, on the smallest zippers.

I have a collection of plastic cords in different colors which I bought for craft, I have thought of experimenting with them by twisting them with the black zipper cords and fit them into the plastic pulls.

I will need to practice the butterfly knot, as shown, in the knot tutorial, on Vimeo.

I have only experimented the Golden Retriever sound, once.
    Last edited by backpack; Yesterday at 04:22 PM.