Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.
    Please tell me more about this. When I was a student, I once apologized to the local convenient store cashier for using mostly pennies to pay for a small item, and he pointed out to me that it's all still money. That was nice of him...I know it is time-consuming to count out pennies, though, so I do avoid using them unless it's for giving an exact amount that requires a few pennies.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Please tell me more about this. When I was a student, I once apologized to the local convenient store cashier for using mostly pennies to pay for a small item, and he pointed out to me that it's all still money. That was nice of him...I know it is time-consuming to count out pennies, though, so I do avoid using them unless it's for giving an exact amount that requires a few pennies.
    I think that's really just the extent of it. No one wants to count change and counting pennies is really tedious. Stores will still take them, and they are still viable currency, they're just annoying.

It is true that vending machines only take nickles, dimes and quarters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's considered rude to leave only a bunch of pennies as a tip at a restaurant, unless it's part of the total change from the paper bills you used...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For international travel, I like a Clear Organizer Wallet. There was a handy tip here a long time ago about cashing in local change at the airport Starbucks to a gift card or phone app so that the money is then accessible in local currency elsewhere. Does anybody know the thread I'm talking about?
    Hi @GoStanford,

The tip about using a Starbucks card as a holder of your spare foreign currency was a suggestion by @Miking. You probably recall it because, in the middle of a long thread about Now Available/Back In Stock products in October 2014, @adalangdon posted about Kiwi Clear Organizer Wallets being available, then you posted about getting a Pocket Pouch in Kiwi/Ultraviolet, and I followed with a post about how giving people Pocket Pouches with an included Starbucks card in their custom ďleaf designĒ format made an attractive and useful travel present, in view of @Mikingís tip:

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    The good thing about Starbucks is that you can use their rewards card as a convenient currency exchange for all the small bills and change you accumulate on a foreign trip! I just pull up to one of the dozens that are in every airport ever... order my usual "grande, low fat, half soy, no foam strawberry and črŤmŽ mochalocachockalattefrappe" and have them put the rest of the change onto my Starbucks card. It is added in my home currency, at the current market exchange rate with no fees, plus with their gold card you can sit down, relax, get free wifi and refills on regular coffee and tea. (Move over Admiral's Club!) plus it beats having it in a ziplock in your dresser!

So far I have tried this in the US, Canada, UK and mainland Europe and it works flawlessly.
    A better, and more recent place to read about this is in @bchaplinís October 2015 thread about Business cards and Tom Bihn luggage tags:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...gage-tags.html

In addition to pictures of some of the newer Starbucks leaf cards in both Pocket Pouches and luggage tags:
    she shows Oyster Cards and other transit cards in luggage tags. There are also direct links to the early thread.

BTW, I still carry one of the Starbucks leaf cards shown on those pictures in my Kiwi/Nordic Pocket Pouch in one of the pockets of my (Black 400d Halcyon/Island) Side Kick. Theyíve made larger leaf and snowflake custom Starbucks cards in recent years, and they will fit into the Pocket Pouch (once you take them off their card backing ó with the presentation card itís slightly too large for a Pocket Pouch or Luggage Tag, but fine for a Clear Organizer Wallet, Mini Organizer Pouch, or Small Double Organizer Pouch. I just havenít posted pictures of these.

One comment: the Starbucks cards issued in Japan, China, and other locations in Asia and the Far East are on a separate system, so I donít think you can use the cards from the U.S., that work for Canada, Europe, and the UK there. Admittedly, I havenít tried this, because I know theyíre on a different system. Also, most people wanting to pay without using cash would just scan from their phones, so I canít imagine trying to explain why Iíd want them to process my non-standard, US Starbucks card in China ó especially since Iím usually not going to Starbucks in that situation. YMMV.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, Thank you for the detailed post! It's very informative and takes me back a while....

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond , you are amazing!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he pointed out to me that it's all still money
    I never cared when I worked registers either. Like he said, it's all money, and if someone wants to pay me to count them then bring on the pennies. But I had a couple colleagues who got bent out of shape if they had to count.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youíre right, Chinese Starbucks cards use a special app (not normal Starbucks) and canít be used elsewhere.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I totally vote mini Q-kit

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, Mini Q Kit is my preferred change holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2