Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best option for a change holder?

What do you find is best for storing your change (US money)? I was using the clear portion of a small double organizer pouch, but I think I'd rather use something smaller so I can easily keep it with my wallet. I have a COW as my main wallet, so something around that size.

Maybe a mini organizer pouch or mini q-kit?

Another question...how do you keep track of multiple small o-ring attached items in your bags? Especially if you have to move them around to different bags. Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nolegrl; 10-24-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like the mini qkit would work for change.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mini cordura org pouch. Works well clipped into a larger bag or when I need to keep it in my pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Another question...how do you keep track of multiple small o-ring attached items in your bags? Especially if you have to move them around to different bags. Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?

Try using any key ring or split ring.. all the pouches pouches to the ring, ring to a double clip keystrap...so you're only undoing the one ring from the one clip.

Carabiners work as well

and +1 on the mini halcyon for change
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?
    Don't know if this'll work with your packing style, but when you order 5 straps simultaneously, TB includes a medium-ish plastic ring to keep them together. You could use a 8" strap to hook the ring to the bag's o-ring and have all your pouches connected to the ring. When you need to change bags, just unhook the main strap and transfer the ring/all the sub-straps to the new bag. Make sense?

ETA: Grrr. G42 beat me.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Don't know if this'll work with your packing style, but when you order 5 straps simultaneously, TB includes a medium-ish plastic ring to keep them together. You could use a 8" strap to hook the ring to the bag's o-ring and have all your pouches connected to the ring. When you need to change bags, just unhook the main strap and transfer the ring/all the sub-straps to the new bag. Make sense?

Lol it does make sense and that's what I was thinking of too, a separatable plastic ring that you slide off the o-ring and move.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Courtesy of Proctor, I've always liked this clever hack using either a split ring or a utility strap.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...plit-ring.html

Best option for a change holder?-utility-strap-pouches-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post

more like, great minds think alike! Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a mini organizer pouch or mini q-kit
    Yes! The mini OP sits nicely in your bag with a COW. But the mini q-kit is super easy to see and access the change.

eta: I like s-biners when I have lots of key straps.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! I placed my order this evening. I decided to get both a mini q-kit and a mini organizer pouch (clear). I imagine I'll find use for both of them at some point. I also bought a utility strap and figured I can hang both my organizer wallet and change pouch from it.

I went back and forth between a clear and ballistic pouch, but I like being able to see what I have at a glance. Coins aren't worth much so I'm not worried about security. If I visit another country, I'd definitely use the Q-kit for coins since they're much more valuable.

Last edited by nolegrl; 10-25-2018 at 03:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    eta: I like s-biners when I have lots of key straps.
    That's a good idea! What size do you use for that?

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is about 1.5" or 2" tall.

eta: Now that I think about it, it's really old and I haven't seen ones like mine in stores in ages. So YMMV as far as the clips fitting on.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 10-27-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Organizer Pouches in different colors for different coins denominations.

I also found out that one of those portable round pill containers that looks like a mini bottle fit the 10 cents coins.
    Very handy when one needs a little candy bar at the vending machine, wants to tip bakery and coffee shop person or needs a cash bus/metro fare.

Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Organizer Pouches in different colors for different coins denominations.

I also found out that one of those portable round pill containers that looks like a mini bottle fit the 10 cents coins.
    Very handy when one needs a little candy bar at the vending machine, wants to tip bakery and coffee shop person or needs a cash bus/metro fare.

Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.
    That's a good idea, but a little much for what I'm after. I generally don't carry pennies since they're basically useless. I tend to take them out of my purse and put them in a jar at home. I've been meaning to wrap them and take them into the bank to get quarters.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes carry change in a mini Q-Kit, but more often I use an old camera film container for my quarters - easy to store in the glove box of the car, also. Pennies, nickels, and dimes go into a piggy bank and eventually to Coinstar or the bank.

For international travel, I like a Clear Organizer Wallet. There was a handy tip here a long time ago about cashing in local change at the airport Starbucks to a gift card or phone app so that the money is then accessible in local currency elsewhere. Does anybody know the thread I'm talking about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast