Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men of TB Forum: how do you use the Side effect?

Just got the side effect and I think itís a genius little piece of kit.

My edc has been copilot with a tethered double organizer wallet where I put extra credit cards, membership cards and some extra cash etc (I carry a minimalist wallet in my pocket )

I used to use a tristar previously and used the large snake charmer to store valuables. About an inch thick stack of credit cards, lounge memberships etc and 3-5 passports since they wouldnít fit in my double organizer wallet. Given that the A30 is small Iím planning on using the SE as the main valuables compartment inside of the A30

I am curious as to how men use the side effect for EDC. I think itís genius for cell phone, spare cards, gum, extra charger, sunglasses , etc. maybe a mini Poland sprint water bottle (my stainless kleen canteen wouldnít fit.). Anyway , I put the strap across my chest and had it high on my back and my wife just laughed at me carrying a purse. I think that because itís in landscape mode it makes it worse and more purse like. Though small size in general is the issue , my wife says.

I am thinking maybe the hand strap may make it a more of a European make carry-all (throwback to Seinfeld). But primarily since it can be easily moved between bags.

i would much appreciate any feedback from any guys who use it as part of EDC.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Iíve never carried it around by itself, I carry it around inside the yeoman mini duffel. It adds ďorganisationĒ. But to be honest it doesnít suit me. I have a iPhone 6s Plus. So it kind of takes up an odd amount of space horizontally then other stuff doesnít fit in all too well. I think as a bag the travel cubelet is way better for what I have. But again I wouldnít carry them by themselves.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good question and I am curious what others think.

Myself, I use my Side Effect mainly within other bags, such as my S25 or Pilot/CoPilot. Especially with a backpack it adds a nice organizational element for phone, calendar, etc that is not as easily pickpocketed than an outside zipper compartment. Worn by itself I do feel like it looks somewhat purse-like. The only time I wear it this way is when I am flying by myself and use it to have my valuables with me when visiting the bathroom.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. I got an XS max and also carry a second phone. Between those two I can BARELY fit sunglasses in there. The SE I got has 210 ballistic interior. WOW. For an everyday kit this is much better durability than halcyon /dyneema. I have a four year old copilot and the dyneema is badly worn out. Even a shoulder bag traces cube thatís dyneema is starting to wear out holes in it. To be honest, I wish all the bags (esp smaller ones meant for EDC). would offer the 210 ballistic interior as an option

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm diabetic, and I use mine to carry my diabetes supplies when I travel. Easy to switch from bag to bag (fits nicely in both my CP and my MCB), and built so much nicer than anything else out there.
    Co-Pilot (Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi), Medium Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Olive), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Cloud), Ristretto 13" (Black/Steel), Side Effect (Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I had to run out and take a few extra thing. I didnít feel like packing copilot since itís for my workday edc stuff. Anyway, I threw the side effect into a shoulder bag packing cube and threw in a 16 oz kleen kanteen bottle and large sunglasses case (standard glasses case are the ones I keep
    In the side effect). I used the side effect thin strap instead of the absolute strap. Hopefully it holds. Not bad. I do wish the shoulder get packing cube was made of nylon. Dyneema is wearing out pretty badly.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently I am using mine as a cable management bag in my DLBC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question. I have a black halcyon/island version.

Originally I was using it as a general EDC grab all I would through into a bag. I ended up switching to 2 smaller bags to separate work related stuff (VGA-HDMI connector, passkey, ext SSD, mouse) from general stuff (ext battery pack, phone charger+cable, pens, pills, lens wipes, etc). Since then its kind of been my "man" purse though it only goes from the house to car/fixed destination and then back; its not being carried around in public. It'll hold things I may want if I'm going to be gone for a few hours to the whole day but not taking a full backpack. I've attached my S25 waist straps so technically I could wear it like a sling or waist pack but I haven't actually done that yet.

Contents
    Lens wipes (I wear glass so always have some around)
    Various Pills (allergy, motrin, backup prescription ones)
    battery pack + phone cable
    ear buds
    small microfiber towel
    pen
    small notepad
    gerber dime multitool
    small usb chargeable flashlight
    Emergency $20

Just can't get past the man purse look issue to use it more than that. Normally its just keys, wallet and phone when I'm out.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Side Effect lives in one end pocket of my A30, and corrals my extensive collection of corrective and decorative eyewear.

I routinely carry at least two pairs of spectacles (my "vocational" pair, designed for screen work, and at least the case for my "everyday" pair, both Lunor); a pair of folding reading glasses (vintage Oliver Peoples half-eye ones with sliding temples); contact lenses including spares, in a little metal case; and usually at least 1 or 2 pairs of sunglasses (I collect vintage Oakleys... but have also acquired a fair number of Ray-Bans...) Basically I'm utterly dependent on corrective eyewear of one sort or another! All that lot lives in cases which are corralled in a Wasabi SE, which lives in turn in the "left" or "top" end pocket of the A30.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25QKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my Side Effect inside of many TB bags. Plus I attach it to the front of my bike's handlebars with key straps when cruising around town Holds my cell phone, wallet, etc.
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rock it cross-body, over the right shoulder, by my hip, with my matching espadrilles (no socks of course).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite a few Side Effects. I often use one with a wrist strap as a "murse" for day trips into the city and on vacation. I also use them often as my electronics bag on airplanes (phone, earbuds, cords, etc). Side Effects are my favorite TB item.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SE lives 95% of the time in the bottom pocket of my S25, holding the EDC stuff I don't want/need on my person: USB battery and a couple cords, some pain and allergy pills, a little notebook and a pen. I keep the "purse" strap and the waist strap in the front pocket. It's quick to transfer to another bag if I switch bags for the day, and if I'm going really light I'll just take the SE and wear it cross-body with it in the small of my back or using the waist straps, depending on my mood.

I'm already a "murse" (male nurse) by day, so I don't see any problems wearing a murse myself.
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is inside my Smart Alec, currently use it as an "electronics" pouch (i.e. phone, cables/wires/chargers/, battery pack, etc. I have also thought about putting it outside until I can find a proper upper modular pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kromdom View Post
    Mine is inside my Smart Alec, currently use it as an "electronics" pouch (i.e. phone, cables/wires/chargers/, battery pack, etc. I have also thought about putting it outside until I can find a proper upper modular pocket.
    You may find that the SE is almost as useful on the outside of the SA as the original UMP. The SE is smaller at 1.5L vs the UMP at 2.5L, but has the benefit of being easily removed at destination to be carried separately. I have both and usually use the SE.
    (and not to completely derail this thread, but the Travel Cubelet makes a great smaller but lower profile replacement for the lower module pocket on the SA)

I'm female, but FWIW, I've never thought it odd to see guys carry crossbody bags (that's what messenger bags are)... if the smaller bags feel too purselike, carry them high & snug on your back, like the photo on the A30 Packing Cube Backpack page (sorry, don't know how to link to the photo itself).
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast