1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30: large cube or large travel cube

Hi guys. Has anyone contemplated the pros and cons between the subject two ? Laundry one is nice. I can fold more delicate pieces into the aether side but now I wonder if it’s too limiting to have half the space. Maybe the standard large cube is better?

Ordered several items but will keep
    - one large cube (or large laundry cube)
    - side pocket aether cube
    - travel laundry sack

I also have the old dyneema small tristar cube and the shoulder bag cube , if needed.
    Last edited by 1bgNWB; 11-05-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The central divider in the laundry cube doesn't divide it in half. It is looser and more flexible than that, so you can pack from just one side, and as you create dirty laundry, you can change the proportion of clothes on each side. Hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30: large cube or large travel cube

Think of the laundry packing cubes exactly like the laundry stuff sack, just in a square form. The partition “floats”. Can go all the way up. Or all the way down. Or anywhere in between. I only mention the laundry sack cos there’s a good video of it on the products page.

Personally I’d either get two small packing cubes and the packing cube stuff sack. Or get two small cubes and a large cube. I would not get the large one and a laundry sack as the large cube will take up half the bottom space. So then you have to stuff the laundry sack into the top half of space you have left. Round bag. Square hole. Unless you’re planning on using the end pockets for the laundry sack. That might work.

I in general found the laundry sack quite annoying considering I use mainly square bags (A30 and A45, Pilot, Wf). I love the laundry packing cubes. Everything fits and maximises the space available.

Last edited by LordAnubis; 11-06-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Think of the laundry packing cubes exactly like the laundry stuff sack, just in a square form. The partition “floats”. Can go all the way up. Or all the way down. Or anywhere in between. I only mention the laundry sack cos there’s a good video of it on the products page.

Personally I’d either get two small packing cubes and the packing cube stuff sack. Or get two small cubes and a large cube. I would not get the large one and a laundry sack as the large cube will take up half the bottom space. So then you have to stuff the laundry sack into the top half of space you have left. Round bag. Square hole. Unless you’re planning on using the end pockets for the laundry sack. That might work.

I in general found the laundry sack quite annoying considering I use mainly square bags (A30 and A45, Pilot, Wf). I love the laundry packing cubes. Everything fits and maximises the space available.

Thanks. I know what you mean about the stuff sack. The way I’ve test packed it was to roll all my T-shirt’s and underwear and then sardine stack them in two levels so it ends up being a rectangle shaped. I can slide it on the side of the large cube (stuff sack being on it’s thinner rectangle “side” or just in one of then side pockets. I don’t see much use for the small stuff sacks since i put all my tees socks and underwear in the stuff sack. The large cube I test packed w one pair of kakis, one shorts, then on the flip compartment two dress shirts, two polos and one under armor workout shirt. I can pack the same in the large cube that doesn’t have a divider and am wondering about the benefits of the divider (other than the dirty laundry use)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the laundry cubes. The divider does not cut the cube in half. The divider floats, so you can completely fill one side only and it fills the whole cube. As your clothing gets dirty, you move it to the other side, and the divider moves. Same clothes, same amount of space, but there is a soft flexible cloth between the two sets of clothes. Or you can use both sides for different types of clean clothes. However you use it, the divider does not take away any space from fully packing the cube.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bgNWB View Post
    Thanks. I know what you mean about the stuff sack. The way I’ve test packed it was to roll all my T-shirt’s and underwear and then sardine stack them in two levels so it ends up being a rectangle shaped. I can slide it on the side of the large cube (stuff sack being on it’s thinner rectangle “side” or just in one of then side pockets. I don’t see much use for the small stuff sacks since i put all my tees socks and underwear in the stuff sack. The large cube I test packed w one pair of kakis, one shorts, then on the flip compartment two dress shirts, two polos and one under armor workout shirt. I can pack the same in the large cube that doesn’t have a divider and am wondering about the benefits of the divider (other than the dirty laundry use)
    If you weren't going to use the laundry cube for laundry, then I'm not sure that there would be any purpose, unless you wanted to use the divider for something (like where you just test packed bottoms on one side and tops on the other side). I like to be able to see everything that I've packed, so am not a fan of the laundry stuff sack but am a huge fan of the laundry cube.
    MCB - Olive/Cloud MB - Aubergine/NWS STT - Wasabi! TC - Viridian

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a PCSB in original Nordic or Sitka.