Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is There an Alternative Side Kick Strap That is Longer?

I love my new Side Kick. The only thing is I wish the strap was longer. I find it a little snug when wearing a thick winter coat. Is there an alternative?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inky, give teh OP/Tech Mini SOS strapi a try. It is basically a thinner/lighter version of Tom Bihn's Absolute strap, and is adjustable up to 52 inches. I used this with my Side Kick when I had one and it was very comfortable.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... do you have a new Side Kick with the gatekeeper strap, or does your strap have swivel hooks on the ends? Since the new Side Kicks have essentially proprietary attachment points, your best bet might be to email customer service. If you haven't dealt with them before, they're great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

@Inky's question, and @Crisitina's question citing the new Gatekeeper straps in use since the end of June 2018, led me to check the new Side Kick strap placement.

For background, the original design of the Side Kick had the webbing end with a Triangular piece attached, with a central hole through which you could clip on a 1" Shoulder Strap. It looked like this:

(Picture from @gochicken's post #26 giving excellent comparison pictures between the Side Kick and the Side Effect in The Side Kick a dream come true thread from November 2016's debut day. I'm only extracting the side view showing the Side Kick at the right with it's attached shoulder strap.)

For comparison, here's the current (post-end-of-June-2018) design of the Side Kick, which now uses the what used to be called the Field Journal Shoulder Strap (except that the webbing is now the satiny smooth fabric also used for current Cafe Bag straps), and which is now sold as the Side Kick Shoulder Strap:

The above picture is taken from Darcy's 25-June-2018 post #11 in the Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried thread started in 22-March-2018 that ultimately led to the re-design of the Side Kick strap attachment arrangement in late June 2018.

I can't post a picture now, but the new strap on it's longest setting is basically only a little longer than the default setting I use for my original Side Kick with the hook end strap -- where there is about 6+" extra length left to adjust in the strap. So, I can imagine that some people might find the length of the current strap a problem.

It is, however, possible to add a pair of 1" Triangle Hooks tp the webbing loop ends of the current Side Kicks to modify them back close to the original design, and get some extra length if you then go back to the original 1" shoulder straps.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-28-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how much more length you need, you could get a set of the gatekeeper double rail clips and basically use them as extensions of the side attachments - I think that you would need to break one of the clips off on each of the double rail clips so that there was a loop for the strap clips to go through, but looking at them, I think it would give you another 4" or so (2" on each side between the clip and the strap on the double rail clip). Then you aren't permanently altering your bag but might make it just easy enough to deal with your coat. :-)
    A45 - Black Halcyon/NWS MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a LCB or MCB in original Nordic. Okay fine, anything in original NORDIC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    Depending on how much more length you need, you could get a set of the gatekeeper double rail clips and basically use them as extensions of the side attachments - I think that you would need to break one of the clips off on each of the double rail clips so that there was a loop for the strap clips to go through, but looking at them, I think it would give you another 4" or so (2" on each side between the clip and the strap on the double rail clip). Then you aren't permanently altering your bag but might make it just easy enough to deal with your coat. :-)
    Hi @jessmakes,

The hack that I referred to is not a permanent alteration of the bag -- it just involves taking off the current Side Kick Strap, passing the webbing loops of the bag through the bottom slots of the 1" triangle hooks ($1 from parts for the pair), then either using a cord pull or a Nite-Ize Gear Tie or one of their 3" cord organizers (basically a short, bendable bar) passed through the webbing to secure it. I'll point you to my post #20 in the Please bring back the snaphook on the SK thread.
    This is just like the hack that I showed for adapting the Field Journal Notebook so folks could use the Op/Tech Mini SOS (or other shoulder strap with snap hook-type ends) on the FJN. The only difference (since I made that post), is that I've checked on a new Side Kick that this actually works. It's quite easy to undo (unknot the cord pull, slip the triangle hooks off the ends of the webbing loops, and put back the original strap).

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Here's what the hacked setup looks like with the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap attached. For comparison, I've folded down the supporting part of the Mini S.O.S. strap and placed it beside the wider, larger Absolute strap (designed for much heavier luggage carrying loads).

The quick description is that you remove the gatekeeper clip ends of the FJN straps from the webbing loops, pinch together the webbing loops and push them through the bottom slit of the 1" Triangle clips, then pass a cord pull (that you knot) or 3" Nite Ize Gear Tie (that you bend and wrap) through the webbing loop to secure it.

Of course, the better response is to contact Customer Support, and have them amend the length of the Side Kick Strap.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @jessmakes,

The hack that I referred to is not a permanent alteration of the bag -- it just involves taking off the current Side Kick Strap, passing the webbing loops of the bag through the bottom slots of the 1" triangle hooks ($1 from parts for the pair), then either using a cord pull or a Nite-Ize Gear Tie or one of their 3" cord organizers (basically a short, bendable bar) passed through the webbing to secure it. I'll point you to my post #20 in the Please bring back the snaphook on the SK thread.
    This is just like the hack that I showed for adapting the Field Journal Notebook so folks could use the Op/Tech Mini SOS (or other shoulder strap with snap hook-type ends) on the FJN. The only difference (since I made that post), is that I've checked on a new Side Kick that this actually works. It's quite easy to undo (unknot the cord pull, slip the triangle hooks off the ends of the webbing loops, and put back the original strap).

Of course, the better response is to contact Customer Support, and have them amend the length of the Side Kick Strap.

HTH

moriond
    Ahhhh, it makes more sense after seeing it. ☺️
    A45 - Black Halcyon/NWS MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a LCB or MCB in original Nordic. Okay fine, anything in original NORDIC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture comparing the old and new design Side Kick:

Is There an Alternative Side Kick Strap That is Longer?-img_3777-jpg

On the left: Black 400d Halcyon/Island Side Kick from first production release with original strap at my current setting. On the right, Black Halcyon 400d/Ultraviolet Side Kick with the redesigned strap, set at maxiumum strap length (and empty, because I'm not using it yet).

There is about 6.3 inches of length in the doubled up (original) 1" Side Kick strap on the left side of the left end image before the adjustable Tri-glide.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The current length works for me, but I think that the default shoulder strap length of the redesigned Side Kick would work better for some people if it were slightly longer.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-29-2018 at 12:43 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting about this @Inky and thanks for the further thoughts @moriond

@Inky we've made a longer Side Kick strap for you to try out. Posting this here just in case you don't see the private message I sent. Feel free to respond to that or emailus@tombihn.com with your shipping details.

If anyone else would like to test a longer (new gatekeeper version) Side Kick strap, PM me.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the replies! I appreciate it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a brand new one with the gatekeeper strap. (In response to which current Side Kick I have.)
    Last edited by Inky; 12-01-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is There an Alternative Side Kick Strap That is Longer?-8e7c4c08-1c86-463e-9a17-2b29f6ae6fb4-jpeg
    I love, love, love the new longer strap Tom Bihn (Darcy) sent me!
    I am 5’7” and the Side Kick sits right where I like it and is comfortable for me.
    I really appreciate this and am thrilled with the length! Thank you so much again!!
    Medium Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase, Side Effect, Little Swift, Pop Tote, Travel Cubelet, Cubelet, Side Kick, Snake Charmer, Travel Tray...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: everyone we sent longer prototype straps to said the length was perfect, so we've gone ahead and replaced the strap on all existing, in-stock Side Kicks with a new, 10" longer shoulder strap. All Side Kicks made in the future will also have the longer strap. And the Side Kick Shoulder Strap that's available for purchase separately on the Shoulder Straps page is also the new length.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update, Darcy. I was pretty sure the slightly longer strap would work better for a lot of people. Are you also planning to use this length strap with the Daylight Briefcase? I donít have the new model Daylight Briefcase (mainly because I already have a few DLBCs because of having to try each fabric combination), so this is something I havenít been able to check.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update: everyone we sent longer prototype straps to said the length was perfect, so we've gone ahead and replaced the strap on all existing, in-stock Side Kicks with a new, 10" longer shoulder strap.
    Thank you, Darcy! I have the longer strap, and it's perfect, especially for someone who's taller. (I'm 6-4.)