Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NIK's MINIMALIST WALLET plastic inside pocket questions

I was so excited to order the new minimalist wallet by Nik. I ordered the #1, the most minimal, not because I did not want more pockets or a loop, but because of the plastic pocket on the inside.

I am assuming the #2, #3 & #4's are made with the same materials that are on the clear organizer pouches and the clear 3DOC. I have had trouble with things sticking to the plastic when I have ordered these products in the past.

I am wondering what some users' experiences with the new wallets have been when removing and replacing credit cards that are also plastic, from this pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    I was so excited to order the new minimalist wallet by Nik. I ordered the #1, the most minimal, not because I did not want more pockets or a loop, but because of the plastic pocket on the inside.

I am assuming the #2, #3 & #4's are made with the same materials that are on the clear organizer pouches and the clear 3DOC. I have had trouble with things sticking to the plastic when I have ordered these products in the past.

I am wondering what some users' experiences with the new wallets have been when removing and replacing credit cards that are also plastic, from this pocket.
    Hi @anna2222,

I haven't had difficulties with items sticking to the clear Urethane side of Nik's wallet. For context, I'll just say that I prefer to use 3DCOC's that were made before they switched to the clearer, stickier Urethane (and I also prefer this in the pockets of my Little Swift) -- you can see my posts in the old 2012 Question about the Urethane used thread.

I'll just make a few comments that might be relevant: you are most likely to be using the clear urethane pocket in Nik's Minimalist Wallet for a photo ID, such as a Driver's license. If you are storing credit cards in that pocket, they are likely to have raised plastic sections for the card numbers, which means that most of the plastic card surface is not in direct contact with the Urethane, anyway. Even when I've stuffed 8 cards into the pocket which is faced with the clear urethane, I didn't have problems with the top card sticking to the clear window -- even when that was an ID card with a flat surface, such as my Driver's license. It may be that if you both stuffed the pocket with the clear window utterly full (as I gather my 8 card experiment is more than they expect most people to try -- but, hey, I knew somebody in the forums would ask this question), I'd probably have to leave the cards that way for a long time (at least several weeks) before they were likely to stick to the window.

It's the fact that you regularly have to take most of these cards out of the pocket, as well as the fact that the actual total surface area of the Urethane window is small -- much less than the area that's in contact for the 3DCOC -- that makes me believe cards sticking to the window is not likely to be a problem. But I haven't had the wallets that long -- the typically ship these off just before the products are going to appear. However, since they've been testing the wallets with staff at the TB store for a year, and most of the Customer Service folks I've spoken with are pretty vocal with their own opinions as owners of TB products, I'd bet you could get opinions if any of them ran into this as a problem.

I'll just say that I haven't noticed this as a potential problem, and I am sensitive to the issue of the stickiness of the their clear Urethane. I did order an extra #2 wallet for storage with my passport -- chose to do this because my Global Entry Card with ID picture will be housed there -- but the other loyalty cards don't need the window. If I had thought stickiness of the Urethane window was an issue, I would have made sure to order a #1 wallet instead.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

moriond

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought on the clear Urethane window. Doesn't it have a top border of stitched black fabric on the top edge? I would think this would keep any card from being right next to the Urethane for a few mm's, which should keep it from sticking completely. I use a small clear double organizer pouch as my wallet, and my cards do not stick the Urethane window, but them again, they're also not a tight fit in there.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-29-2018 at 05:35 AM.