Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laundry Stuff Sack Questions

The laundry stuff sack has caught my eye, but I have a few questions about it:

How much bigger is the 45 vs the 30 in terms of what you can fit? If I'm looking to pack socks (ankle athletic) and underwear (ladies small) for 7 days (1 of each for 9 days to bring extra), which would be best? Sizewise, I'm assuming, if you don't fill the 45, it'll squish down? I do have an Aeronaut 45, but I'd also be using this bag in other backpacks as well, so I'd like it to be versatile.

Does any odor from the dirty side "leak" into the clean side? That's probably my biggest concern with a bag like this.

Is it worth the $45? I know that's subjective, but considering laundry bags can be had for free (grocery sack, hotel room bags) or very cheap (dry sacks), they're asking quite a bit for essentially a laundry bag. I know it is somewhat dual purpose by being both a packing cube and a laundry sack and keeping the same volume throughout your trip, but is that enough of a difference to justify the cost?

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it for my bf for his birthday, the A45 laundry stuff sack, he is a runner and when we go on vacation he often runs every day, therefore needs 3-4 running outfits. We usually do laundry while on vacation, but he needed something to contain the smell and leftover dampness that may not have completely dried. We went to Montreal for 10 days and he said it worked great. So, 6'2" man's XL 4 running outfits (tops, bottoms, socks, running jacket, running long sleeve shirt).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two A30 laundry stuff sacks. I use them in my A45, and am considering getting the A45 version. For me, they contain the smell well, and keep moisture and wetness well isolated. Whether it is worth it or not is highly subjective. It is definitely a premium packing experience that is worth it for me, but the same trade off may not apply for you.

Things I like:
    * These hold their shape and fit various TB bags so well. It is efficient how they use space.
    * I like the double-ended structure, and the ability to just stuff things in. It makes it easier to contain my underwear, socks, and other items.
    * I never need to unpack my underwear and socks, and they never end up all over the place when I travel. It also make packing and repacking easy.

I’ve found plastic bags and other laundry bags don’t keep their shape, and things fall out. The double-sided nature prevents the need to keep track of multiple clean/dirty bags that I find awkward to pack. The laundry stuff sacks work the way that my packing brain works, and I love them. My wife, on the other hand, doesn’t use them as much because she hates having to dig through the sack to find a particular article of clothing. Depending on the situation she will use one for the double-sided clean/dirty convenience.

Also, they are so well constructed that I imagine they could survive a minor apocalypse. If a major apocalypse ever comes around, I’m sure Tom will just offer a 1050 Ballistic version.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laundry Stuff Sack Questions

I Laundry Stuff Sack Questions my laundry stuff sack. I start off with socks and undies in one side and have my swimsuit on the other.
    Eventually all the dirty stuff migrates to one side and then my swimsuit, which has been pulled out for the duration of the trip) gets put back into the clean side to travel home (whether it gets used or not. If it gets used it gets rinsed out and hopefully dry by the time I leave.)

I use my A30 laundry sack for both my Aeronaut and my Synapse 25. Fits nicely in both.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new double sided laundry cubes vs the stuff sacks. I find it easier to see & keep organized in the rectangle.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I like the new double sided laundry cubes vs the stuff sacks. I find it easier to see & keep organized in the rectangle.
    I was looking as those as well as an alternative. Since I plan to just throw in socks and underwear, I'm not too concerned about being able to see everything. If I was looking to pack clothes, I would definitely go for the cubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @nolegrl,

As far as size goes, the capacity of the TLSS (Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for the A45 is 9 liters (nearly half the capacity of your Synapse 19), while that of the A30 is 5 liters. It's mostly in the diameter, but also in the larger height, which is why the TLSS for A30 can more easily fit into a larger range of bags without having to squash it. (There are pictures in the Laundry stuff sacks are here thread that show a filled TLSS for A30 in comparison with bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Synapse, Daylight Backpack, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Swift, etc.

To get an idea of the TLSS for A45, you might check @Badger's The Travel Laundry Stuff Sack as ultralight overnight bag thread. She uses a (regular sized) Travel Tray packed into that TLSS.

The only pictures I've taken of both sizes of TLSS (for A45 and for A30) together, are in the Smart Alec Question thread, to answer how either of these would look as part of packing a Smart Alec backpack.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @nolegrl,

As far as size goes, the capacity of the TLSS (Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for the A45 is 9 liters (nearly half the capacity of your Synapse 19), while that of the A30 is 5 liters. It's mostly in the diameter, but also in the larger height, which is why the TLSS for A30 can more easily fit into a larger range of bags without having to squash it. (There are pictures in the Laundry stuff sacks are here thread that show a filled TLSS for A30 in comparison with bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Synapse, Daylight Backpack, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Swift, etc.

To get an idea of the TLSS for A45, you might check @Badger's The Travel Laundry Stuff Sack as ultralight overnight bag thread. She uses a (regular sized) Travel Tray packed into that TLSS.

The only pictures I've taken of both sizes of TLSS (for A45 and for A30) together, are in the Smart Alec Question thread, to answer how either of these would look as part of packing a Smart Alec backpack.

HTH

moriond
    Thanks! It sounds like the A30 is more versatile. I may just go with the that one if I decide to get it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I was looking as those as well as an alternative. Since I plan to just throw in socks and underwear, I'm not too concerned about being able to see everything. If I was looking to pack clothes, I would definitely go for the cubes.
    I started with one laundry cube for socks, undies, bra... And recently bought a second for workout clothes and t-shirts. I like that the rectangular shape Tetris's into my bags. With that being said, I usually also have a Reisenthal simple drawstring nylon laundry bag for anything large/bulky, depending on the type of trip.
    Good luck!

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I don't understand about the laundry stuff sack is that the product description mentions a "floating divider" between the two sides of the sack. What is a "floating divider" and how does it work?

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    One thing I don't understand about the laundry stuff sack is that the product description mentions a "floating divider" between the two sides of the sack. What is a "floating divider" and how does it work?
    I don't have one, but my understanding is that it just means that it's not rigid and it moves depending on how much you stuff in on one side or the other.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one, but my understanding is that it just means that it's not rigid and it moves depending on how much you stuff in on one side or the other.
    That's correct...the divider has sufficient material to float against the direction of the load... so you'd theoretically start with all clean clothes on one side and as you travel, the dirty moves to the other side but the total amount of clothes stays the same, so the total volume of the bag/cube stays the same.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Hi @GoNavy,

If you use the link I gave above to the Laundry Stuff Sacks are here thread, specifically, if you start at my post #16
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...html#post74354
    you'll be able to see how these work. I'll excerpt a bit (I'm leaving out earlier discussion in answer to how this fits with a variety of specific bags, and that omits some text and pictures at the beginning; there are many more pictures in the thread that give comparisons with other accessories)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

The Laundry Stuff Sack is a Cylinder that looks roughly like two Yarn Stuff Sacks placed end to end. (The sections are slightly smaller in diameter than a YSS, but that's the closest size). The next picture shows a top view with the center divider pushed all the way to one end. The "bottom" of the sack sits 2" or 50 mm below the end of the "cylinder" with a circular cross section.

Here's the ruler view of the depth:

The view from the other end of the cylinder shows the open sack, with a black piping circular border at the mid-point of the cylinder, and another circular border that marks the "bottom" of the sack that was shown in the previous view, now seen from the other side.

Here are some more size reference pictures with the Ultraviolet YSS at the right front, the Steel Small YSS in front center, and the Wasabi Size 3 Travel Stuff sack at front left. You can see the YSS is slightly bigger than each half section of the A30 Laundry Stuff Sack.

If you look closely at the first picture with the cylindrical UV Laundry Stuff Sack for the A30, you should be able to see that the top 2" section appears lighter. That's because the pushed in sack divider stops 2" from either end of the Laundry Stuff Sack Cylinder.

HTH. moriond
    In general, there's a lot of information on new products in the threads that are started when these items first debut. Particularly in the older threads, you won't necessarily see this in pictures at the start of a thread, because the original poster will just be the first person to receive the product (in this case, @GoStanford got a fast shipment because her proximity to the store let her get the product early, and she graciously posted initial pictures for everyone). When the forum mods add to these threads, they/we try to anticipate and answer questions new users will have -- but in this case I didn't receive an ordered TLSS until much later, so my posts and pictures show up later in the thread. But, in general, if you take a look at threads linked in our post answers, you're likely to find pictures and text that will answer many of your questions.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The first 2 pictures show the TLSS viewed with the floating divider pushed all the way to the top end. It's like a wind sock. The third picture shows the TLSS with the floating divider pushed all the way to the bottom. There's basically an inner cylinder that is about half the height of the whole TLSS that can be pushed to one end or the other -- or anywhere in between. The edge stops about 2" form the ends of the outer cylinder so you can pull the drawstring to close it.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-03-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laundry cubes? I have been off the forum for a couple weeks traveling. Did I miss something?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by franzdom View Post
    Laundry cubes? I have been off the forum for a couple weeks traveling. Did I miss something?
    Cubes, vs tubes/sacks

https://www.tombihn.com/products/pac...=6900211777599

A30 & 45 sizes, plus the new Aether Island colour

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast