Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    185
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SCB: suggestions wanted for parking pass strategy

    So my SCB (original Nordic halcyon, I LOOOOVE IT!) is my EDC, and I need to carry my parking pass (credit-card size) for work in it, because in our family, we juggle cars a lot. So I can't leave it in the car.

    I need to flash my card both entering and leaving the parking garage. If I put it in the outside zipper pocket, it gets lost amongst the other stuff I have in there (chapstick, mints, gum, lens-wetting drops, and peppermint/lavender EO roll-on for headaches).

    Right now, I've got it in a clear organizer pouch, tethered on an 8-inch strap to the O-ring in the outside zipper pocket, but I hate taking the time put the pouch back in the zipper pocket, zipping the pocket shut and closing the flap on the bag. There's always a line to get OUT of the garage, and I don't want to delay the people behind me.

    I'm almost desperate enough to sew a little pocket to the outside of my SCB for quick access...
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,371
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get one of those retractable badge/ID holders and keep that tethered in the bag, so it snaps back into place and is always connected?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    249
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pocket pouch?

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    607
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same small Cafť Bag as you. Here are a couple of options that might work for your parking pass. The first picture is a luggage tag that is attached to one of the two O rings that are placed at the top interior of the bag. The second picture is the luggage tag attached to the grab handle. Both placements allow the luggage tag to sit in the outside pocket for easy access.

    SCB: suggestions wanted for parking pass strategy-luggage-tag-1-jpgSCB: suggestions wanted for parking pass strategy-luggage-tag-2-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    185
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even know these existed! (Apparently, I live under a rock...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Can you get one of those retractable badge/ID holders and keep that tethered in the bag, so it snaps back into place and is always connected?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    1,030
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing @pammy's pictures reminded me of what I do with my bus pass--I don't know why I didn't think of it when I saw your post earlier today! I put it in a clear organizer pouch, just like you did with your parking pass, and I put it on a key strap clipped to an O-ring... but the O-ring I clip it to is in the main section of the bag, and then instead of tucking the pouch into the bag, I tuck the pouch into the outer back pocket of the SCB. A little bit of the key strap hangs out at the side of the bag flap, but that just makes it easier to grab when I'm in a hurry. Do you think that would work for you?

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    185
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a winner!

    (wouldn't it be nice if there were an o ring in that back pocket?)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Seeing @pammy's pictures reminded me of what I do with my bus pass--I don't know why I didn't think of it when I saw your post earlier today! I put it in a clear organizer pouch, just like you did with your parking pass, and I put it on a key strap clipped to an O-ring... but the O-ring I clip it to is in the main section of the bag, and then instead of tucking the pouch into the bag, I tuck the pouch into the outer back pocket of the SCB. A little bit of the key strap hangs out at the side of the bag flap, but that just makes it easier to grab when I'm in a hurry. Do you think that would work for you?
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    185
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm combining everyone's excellent suggestions! I'm ordering a retractable ID badge holder (honestly, I'D NEVER HEARD OF THESE!), and attaching it to the grab handle. (I already have keys and my Nick's minimizer wallet attached to the interior O-rings.)

    Here's the Retractable thingie, with carabiner attachment! https://www.amazon.com/Key-Bak-Sidek.../dp/B078BXRJZF
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    North Carolina
    Posts
    148
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with the retractable thingy; every badge I've had over the past few years has come with one. They use a thin string, which I am prone to breaking. I like the Pocket Pouch idea; I used it for my train pass, when I rode the train to work.

  10. #10
    Forum Member xyppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Share
    NYC
    Posts
    69
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a pocket pouch in much the same way pammy uses the luggage tag. You could use a key strap to attach it to the SCB. I love pocket pouches. I use one for my laundry cards and another for my metro card and a few dollar bills. I give them out as gifts. They are super useful and I've never had anything fall out of them. It's very easy to extract a card from them and then stuff it back in.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    249
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    OK, I'm combining everyone's excellent suggestions! I'm ordering a retractable ID badge holder (honestly, I'D NEVER HEARD OF THESE!), and attaching it to the grab handle. (I already have keys and my Nick's minimizer wallet attached to the interior O-rings.)

    Here's the Retractable thingie, with carabiner attachment! https://www.amazon.com/Key-Bak-Sidek.../dp/B078BXRJZF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    Be careful with the retractable thingy; every badge I've had over the past few years has come with one. They use a thin string, which I am prone to breaking. I like the Pocket Pouch idea; I used it for my train pass, when I rode the train to work.
    Iíve had some that broke, some that didnít. I find thereís different qualities available in them. The 10 pack I got at Staples (or the ones I get from clients who get theirs in 10 packs from Staples) break quite easily. But Iíve had others that have lasted 7 or 8 years that have been of higher quality. Hopefully, the one linked above is of the better quality.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Forum Member K9TB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    247
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a cobbler (who also does luggage repair) sew 2 o-rings into the outer/open pocket of my small and medium cafe bags. This is one of the Best Decisions I Have Ever Made.

    I have a pocket pouch clipped into one of them (not on a key strap). The pouch doesn't go anywhere so it's easy to find. I can pull out an ID card, show it, and stow it super fast.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    185
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg, this is brilliant!

    WHERE/HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE TO DO THAT??

    I could actually use about 6 more o-rings...

    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    I had a cobbler (who also does luggage repair) sew 2 o-rings into the outer/open pocket of my small and medium cafe bags. This is one of the Best Decisions I Have Ever Made.

    I have a pocket pouch clipped into one of them (not on a key strap). The pouch doesn't go anywhere so it's easy to find. I can pull out an ID card, show it, and stow it super fast.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    150
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    omg, this is brilliant!

    WHERE/HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE TO DO THAT??

    I could actually use about 6 more o-rings...
    I could do that. :-)
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

    TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

    Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    124
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    omg, this is brilliant!

    WHERE/HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE TO DO THAT??

    I could actually use about 6 more o-rings...
    Any cobbler will have a heavy-duty sewing machine that will be able to do the stitching into 1050 ballistic (or even heavier materials, if needed). They're used for sewing leather soles so they've got more oomph than the regular machines a seamstress would use.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •