Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Harmonic Genius

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmonic Genius

Sometimes it takes a while for the (now discontinued, Canadian) penny to drop in my noggin...

I have a cubelet that is plumped up with a handy assortment of useful things...eyedrops, hand wipes, a couple tea bags, Fisherman's Friends, lip balm, some bandaids, a binder clip, a couple twisties...etc. Depending on the bag I carry, this cubelet gets tucked into different places.

The first discovery was that it fit into the zipped pocket behind the open pocket beneath the front flap of the Ego. Years apart and yet still, they play nicely together. Awesome.

This morning, though--I had one of those--How long has it taken me to try this?!--moments and thought I'd share my discovery. Lo and behold, a cubelet fits perfectly in the bottom of the long outside pocket on the front of a Synapse 19. For me, it's the perfect place for it in this bag. Stays put...waits patiently...doesn't get squished...and doesn't take up "big" room that would be better given to something larger that doesn't fit in a smaller place.

Yet another example of how aesthetics, design, and function can all harmonize...Thank you, Tom Bihn!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    This morning, though--I had one of those--How long has it taken me to try this?!--moments and thought I'd share my discovery. Lo and behold, a cubelet fits perfectly in the bottom of the long outside pocket on the front of a Synapse 19. For me, it's the perfect place for it in this bag. Stays put...waits patiently...doesn't get squished...and doesn't take up "big" room that would be better given to something larger that doesn't fit in a smaller place.
    !
    Even better, you can fit TWO in there, and leash them as well...
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, I found it was a little too tall to fit comfortably in the bottom pocket of my S19. Pictures of how you make it work???

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Hm, I found it was a little too tall to fit comfortably in the bottom pocket of my S19. Pictures of how you make it work???
    I can't immediately find the pic I posted previously, but to be sure we're on the same page - Cubelet, not Travel Cubelet (which is much taller)
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly sure I've observed before that many, if not most, of the Tom Bihn designs appear to be based on some kind of modular grid system as far as dimensions are concerned. The Aeronaut 45 end pocket is sized to accept, for example, 2 of the Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; but the much newer A30 will accept a single CQPC in an end pocket, turned through 90 degrees from the orientation it would take in an A45, and there is room to fit a 3D Clear Organiser Cube next to it. Organiser cubes will fit in pockets on things like Pilot and Co-Pilot bags. It's a great example of careful, thoughtful design - where pieces likely to be used together seem almost accidentally to be compatible with one another.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25QKTTMCBTT PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SE TSS4TTQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I'm fairly sure I've observed before that many, if not most, of the Tom Bihn designs appear to be based on some kind of modular grid system as far as dimensions are concerned. The Aeronaut 45 end pocket is sized to accept, for example, 2 of the Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; but the much newer A30 will accept a single CQPC in an end pocket, turned through 90 degrees from the orientation it would take in an A45, and there is room to fit a 3D Clear Organiser Cube next to it. Organiser cubes will fit in pockets on things like Pilot and Co-Pilot bags. It's a great example of careful, thoughtful design - where pieces likely to be used together seem almost accidentally to be compatible with one another.
    I think it's partly thoughtful design, and partly that we forumites have fun putting bags in other bags and playing around until we can make them fit!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the 4.3" 3DOC fits great, but my 5.1" cubelet doesn't quite fit. I have it packed absolutely full, with very little wiggle or squish room, so it's just a little too tall. Unless there's a strategy I've overlooked...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lia,

Sorry if my descriptors weren't clear. Yes, this is a square cubelet...and I should have specified the long vertical outside pocket. Not the horizontal pocket along the bottom outside.

Yeah, the 4.3" 3DOC fits great, but my 5.1" cubelet doesn't quite fit. I have it packed absolutely full, with very little wiggle or squish room, so it's just a little too tall. Unless there's a strategy I've overlooked...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhhh. Gotcha. I'm still refining the ideal variation on what to carry in which pocket of my S19, and I LOVE my cubelet in my Pop Tote, but I haven't found a satisfactory spot for it in the S19.

FTR, if the cubelet is the only thing in the bottom pocket it works great:

Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141559-jpg

But then there's a lot of unused space on the sides. I use that pocket for my Don't Leave Home Without It wristlet of glasses/keys/phone/wallet:
    Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141653-jpg

There's a little space left, but not quite enough for the cubelet:
    Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141735-jpg

But it's CLOSE, and I keep hoping there's a way. The pocket is not a fixed dimension: it can be deeper if you don't use height, or it can be taller if you don't use the depth... There must be a way to take advantage of that flexibility.

Maybe I'll discover a less bulky wristlet that'll create just enough additional space to add the cubelet?

I need the vertical pockets for work supplies, so they aren't options. Sigh.

I agree that the interchangeable parts that fit pouches in pockets in compartments in bags are a very satisfying aspect of TB bags!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhhhh. Gotcha. I'm still refining the ideal variation on what to carry in which pocket of my S19, and I LOVE my cubelet in my Pop Tote, but I haven't found a satisfactory spot for it in the S19.

FTR, if the cubelet is the only thing in the bottom pocket it works great:

Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141559-jpg

But then there's a lot of unused space on the sides. I use that pocket for my Don't Leave Home Without It wristlet of glasses/keys/phone/wallet:
    Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141653-jpg

There's a little space left, but not quite enough for the cubelet:
    Harmonic Genius-img_20190125_141735-jpg

But it's CLOSE, and I keep hoping there's a way. The pocket is not a fixed dimension: it can be deeper if you don't use height, or it can be taller if you don't use the depth... There must be a way to take advantage of that flexibility.

Maybe I'll discover a less bulky wristlet that'll create just enough additional space to add the cubelet?

I need the vertical pockets for work supplies, so they aren't options. Sigh.

I agree that the interchangeable parts that fit pouches in pockets in compartments in bags are a very satisfying aspect of TB bags!
    I have read that the Side Effect fits well in the bottom pocket! It's the right shape.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stack in the vertical pocket...cubelet on the bottom, zipped wallet a bit bigger than a deck of cards on top. Works well for me. The discovery was that the vertical pocket is the perfect width and depth for the cubelet. Not surprising, exactly...but neither are leaves in the spring. And yet nonetheless, I marvel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Datburnit y'all! Now I have to put a cublet on my next order just to find out where I can make it fit, in which direction, and what in the heck t'other stuff will git along with it.

...and to think I tapped onto it in the first place thinking it was going to be one of those peaceful thought things that are posted under clever titles at the beginning.
    Last edited by Seesul; 01-29-2019 at 09:49 PM.