Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight briefcase organization accessories?

Which organization accessories is everyone using in their Daylight briefcase? Was thinking about a 3D organizer cube but maybe one of the pouches would suffice? Just trying to avoid bulking up the slim size of the Daylight. Thanks for your help!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don’t normally use any organisation accessories with the Daylight Briefcase as it is not so large to be manageable on its own. I do regulatly use 3DOC, pouches, etc., depending on what I am carrying, with larger bigger or single compartment bags.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít know if itís still offered, but I use an FJN insert. The pen one. Holds my pen/stylus, my chopsticks and couple of dry erase markers. USB sticks go in the zippered pouch on the reverse.

Then I also have a mini OP that holds my lightning and Apple Watch charging cables. But this is the same OP that moves between bags so thatís about the only reason it gets pressed into use.

Everything else just goes in the bag as nature intended. Itís pocket structure is built well enough that thatís enough organization for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the built in organization of the DLBC... if I use anything extra, it's usually a Double Organizer Pouch for receipts and a Cubelet for mints, coins, etc.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I used a DLBC as my school bag and added a Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip to hold my pen case and a few other things. That wasn't ideal, but did work. (And hey, that's where my MCB FS is! I was looking for it earlier this evening and couldn't remember where I'd left it.)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I tuck a Travel Cubelet in with my keys, wallet and phone. Then if I make a stop, I can grab the Travel Cubelet and leave the larger bag in the car. The existing pockets usually work for the rest of my organization needs.

Depending on what I need each day, I may use an organizer pouch, a Q-Kit, a manila folder or a pocket folder, or a tiny zip bag for paper clips. Recently I have needed to bring a few small office supplies like paper clips, jumbo paper clips, a miniature stapler, sticky notes and sticky tabs, and the like. I've just tossed them all into the same pocket (which never gets used otherwise).

It's great to hear what solutions everyone else uses. Thank you for sharing! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my mouse in a Q-kit mini because I like to be able to clip it to an o-ring. It fits nicely in one of then small pockets.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one: https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/gearup-wrap-lp37140-pww/
    It fits into one of the vertical pockets.

BUBM also has a lot of organizers, I tried quite a few as they are cheap
    from china.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small Clear OP - split pocket - ballpoint pen, gobites duo fork and spoon, bihn ruler, highlighter, permanent marker, stylus, field notes notebook
    (Little thinner than a 3DOC or cubelet = less infringing into main compartment)

Leaf Pouchkin - front 1/2: binder clips; front half 2nd 1/2 zip pocket: paper clips; Back mesh pocket- nothing now, but can fit ballpoint pens, etc

Pen/Pencil OP - split pocket - plastic utensil knife, full size toothbrush

Mini Clear OP -split pocket - pill box (antacids, mints, Tylenol, toothy tabs, mouthwash tabs), tweezers, nail clippers, bandaids

Medium DOP - back pocket - Back, larger compartment: mail, receipts, envelopes, mailing labels; Front of DOP: checkbook, mini clear OP (coins), clear organizer wallet (coupons, gift cards, membership cards) Note: normally I use this separate as my mobile office. Couple months of using this setup so far and it works beautifully.

I use more OP's than I ever thought, but they move to my S25 when needed or used independently. A place for everything and everything in it's place

I am hopeful the DLBC will get a pen loop or a DLBC Freudian slip for one of the split compartments for couple pen loops. A briefcase without a pen slot, surprising reality.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @jessiew, and welcome to the forums,

I use the (now-retired) Field Journal Notebook pocket inserts as mini Freudian Slips, as suggested by @tpnl. Here are a few pics from my post (#11) in the Daylight Briefcase organizing thread from September 2016:

This shows the FJN Pocket Insert on top of the left split pocket of the Daylight Briefcase (in New Black Halcyon) -- it can fit inside either left or right split pocket.

I usually prefer to carry it inside the main (laptop) compartment of the Daylight Briefcase, where it is shown clipped to an O-ring with a Double Carabiner Clip. (Please ignore the folded Daylight Backpack in front -- these pictures were excerpted from longer review posts that were meant to demonstrate multiple features -- in this case, that I could carry a folded Daylight Backpack in the back zippered pocket, in addition to the laptop and other contents in the attache -- just in case I either wanted to convert usage to unfolding the DLBP and carrying the Daylight Briefcase on my back, or if I wanted to carry the DLBP so that I could use it for other shopping during a trip.)

Some people use the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in the Daylight Briefcase. I can't seem to find the picture that @maverick posted (he was going to make a video to show these in the Daylight Briefcase along with his overall video of the Cafe Bag Freudian Slips in the Cafe Bags; but I can only currently find the post where he said that he was working on this), but I can point you to @tpnl's pictures in his post (#3) in A Brief case for the new Freudian Slips thread. You should read the comments by going to the links, but here are his pictures:

Medium FS in Main compartment (just fits IMHO)

Small FS in Back compartment (just fits but is very slightly compressed when zippered in - tight fit)

The Small FS works well in the main compartment and tight in the back compartment (but doable by my standards) of the DLBC. The Medium FS just fits in the main compartment but the Small FS is probably best. Either way, it is a great way to add some pen pockets, etc to the DLBC.
    (My recollection for the @maverick picture that I can't find is that he turned the Medium Cafe Bag FS sideways in the Main laptop compartment of the Daylight Backpack, in contrast to @tpnl's usage -- and I would guess @aediifica's).

However, as a substitute, I'll point you to a video made by Jeremy Tan titled "Daylight Briefcase: What I carried":

You can see the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip at the left of the frame. It gets inserted into the Daylight Briefcase about 29 seconds into the video.

Another good review to read is Fatih Arslan's Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase Review

I'll let you read through the full review and pictures, but here are some of the accessories he describes using:

Finally, I'm going to make a recommendation for something to use in place of the retired Field Journal Notebook Pocket Inserts that I use, if you don't want a pen organizer that takes up as much room as the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. This is a modification of @AlaskaGirl's suggestion to use a Travel Cubelet, because I'm referencing the organizational insert that @ceepee is using inside her Travel Cubelet, as described in her post (#3) in the What's in your Travel Cubelet? thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I hope no one minds me posting this, but as TB don't offer a Freudian Slip for the Travel Cubelet (yet? ), I present ..... The Maxpedition Entity low profile admin pouch, which fits pretty perfectly.

Mine contains my Hobonichi supplies. I'm currently carrying the A6 Avec, but I could just about squeeze in my Techo.

One thing to bear in mind, it's designed to attach to hook and loop fields in other bags. The hooks can be a bit grabby on the inner binding and threads inside the TC.

Excuse the lighting, I'm currently hanging out in a rather dingy amusement arcade cafe :/

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    @ceepee is in the UK, so I'll give a U.S. (Amazon) link for what I believe is this item: Maxpedition MXNTTPNFGRY-BRK Entity Low Profile Panel

This is what I would probably use as an organizer in the Daylight Briefcase if I didn't have the Field Journal Notebook Pocket Inserts, and wanted something with a smaller profile than the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip. I would also likely get some pouches -- like the Medium Double Organizer Pouch in Fatih Arslan's review, and possible a 3D Organizer Cube of some sort.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Again, please ignore the Field Journal Notebook, etc. in my first photos -- that picture was from a review that was meant to show how the Daylight Briefcase could be used in different setups -- including journaling or artwork without even carrying a laptop.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.