Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zipper cord question - any benefit to having 8 inch vs cord?

There are three options available to purchase zipper cords:

1. cord pulls with plastic ends
    2. 8 inch cord
    3. cord

I obviously understand why one would get the first option, if they want a cord pull with plastic ends. But is there a benefit to buying the 8 inch cords over just the cord? Could one just cut as much as they want and then just tie it how they want, or does anything else need to be done?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it's just a matter of convenience: Buy the 8 inch cords fix them to your zippers and you're done. The benefit of buying just the cord is that you can use it for other purposes too or - as you said - to cut longer pieces. I tend to use the zipper cords that are provided with the bags although I like how other folks put contrasting colors or reflecting cords on their bags.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received 8 inch cords with my GES25 and then ordered 5 yards cord to tie knots for zip puller in cuter way,
    I do prefer 5 yards in order to do whatever I want (actually I want more now, it's quite addictive)
    but you have to buy a lighter (I usually don't need a lighter) and cut then burn the cord each times
    Last edited by Rei; 02-22-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what I'm hearing is that all you have to do is cut the yard one and burn it, to make it like the 8 inch ones? In the video provided by TB it's just burned for a second. Is that the case?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    So what I'm hearing is that all you have to do is cut the yard one and burn it, to make it like the 8 inch ones? In the video provided by TB it's just burned for a second. Is that the case?
    Yes, that's how it works. The cord will unravel and fray if you don't do a quick melt to seal the ends. I don't have a lighter, I use my gas stovetop burner for the quick zap - regardless of how you do it, be safe.

There are a ton of videos online about various types of paracord knots and pulls that are decorative and/or functional that you can make... the long hank of cord is good if you want to do those more complicated things, because you can cut as much as you need.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...