Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing shoes in the A30

I did some searches and didn't find a topic about this, but I'm sorry if it has been discussed elsewhere.

I'm packing my Aeronaut 30 for a two week trip, and when I ordered it I purposely didn't order as many packing cubes or stuff sacks as I wanted so that I could see how I wanted it when it was in front of me. Now that I'm packing, I'm extremely curious how other people are packing their shoes!

Two pairs of shoes fit together in an end pocket of the A30, which makes it seem silly to order A30 end pocket packing cubes if I want to keep my leather shoes separate from my canvas shoes. I didn't see a size of stuff sack that would work for the shoes either. Is there another size of packing cube that works well for this purpose?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put shoes (depending on size) in A30 and A45 cubes and I've seen folks use Travel Stuff Sacks too...

I usually use less expensive/less nice options like the Eagle Creek Pack-it Specter shoe bags or those cheap nylon drawstring bags you often get at conferences, gyms, and such
    I've also used plastic grocery bags...

Since shoes can be fairly dirty, I like to use a bag that I can wash (like the Eagle Creek ones) without worrying about it.

ETA, oh, and I sometimes put them in the end pocket and sometimes in the main compartment...depends on what I'm packing for a given trip and my mood
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys what kind of shoes are you talking about? Just got A30 recently but havenít packed shoes other than flip flops (M, size 11) or sperrys while Iíd wear sneakers on the plane.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    I did some searches and didn't find a topic about this, but I'm sorry if it has been discussed elsewhere.

I'm packing my Aeronaut 30 for a two week trip, and when I ordered it I purposely didn't order as many packing cubes or stuff sacks as I wanted so that I could see how I wanted it when it was in front of me. Now that I'm packing, I'm extremely curious how other people are packing their shoes!

Two pairs of shoes fit together in an end pocket of the A30, which makes it seem silly to order A30 end pocket packing cubes if I want to keep my leather shoes separate from my canvas shoes. I didn't see a size of stuff sack that would work for the shoes either. Is there another size of packing cube that works well for this purpose?
    I wouldn't pack good shoes without protection (both for the shoes and the bag.) You can use any of the cubes that G42 mentioned; however, I prefer something more protective like a real shoe bag. I use Allen Edmonds shoe bags. They do weigh more than cubes, but they won't harm the polish, either, and can be used for a quick buffing at your destination.
    Last edited by ThomGault; 02-24-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm packing a pair of XeroShoes Lenas and a pair of leather women's heeled dress shoes. The Lena's pack flat, and the leather shoes tuck into each other pretty well. They stack in the end pocket with a Gorillapod on top just fine, but I'd like to keep the black leather and blue canvas separate. It sounds like drawstring closure shoe bags will be my best bet, I can get them locally.
    Last edited by aedifica; 02-24-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fix broken link

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    I wouldn't pack good shoes without protection (both for the shoes and the bag.) You can use any of the cubes that G42 mentioned; however, I prefer something more protective like a real shoe bag. I use Allen Edmonds shoe bags. They do weigh more than cubes, but they won't harm the polish, either, and can be used for a quick buffing at your destination.
    Totally. If shoes are nice enough to require protection, they are worth dedicated shoe bags.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Allen Edmonds. Do you bother packing shoe trees as well or is that only if the trip is beyond X days ?

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bgNWB View Post
    Love Allen Edmonds. Do you bother packing shoe trees as well or is that only if the trip is beyond X days ?
    I hate to do it, but I always use shoe trees for 'real' shoes. They're comparatively heavy, but I've not found any other solution to prevent being smashed and keeping the shoe's shape. Plus, as I use cedar versions, they provide a decent aromatic for the bag and its contents.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis N Clark shoe socks / shoe bags, whatever you want to call them. You get 4 bags in an order. One shoe per bag. They're like thin nylon knit socks that go on the outside of your shoes when you pack. That way you can pack your shoes anywhere and not have the soles rub up against any clothing. I always pack my actual socks inside my shoes to keep the shoes from getting crushed. Plus it makes good use of the space.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I formerly packed them into a single plastic bag, but now have come to re-use shoe bags that came with dress shoes. They're all basically the same.

However the keys are:
    - Use two shoe bags--one for each shoe--makes it way easier to organize
    - Stuff socks inside the shoes (eschew the shoe trees which are very heavy)
    - Stack them heel to toe

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I always pack my actual socks inside my shoes to keep the shoes from getting crushed. Plus it makes good use of the space.
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    However the keys are:
    - Stuff socks inside the shoes (eschew the shoe trees which are very heavy)
    Your experience is very different from mine. I've always found that stuffed socks didn't fill the space effectively enough to prevent the shoe from being deformed in a bag during travel, not to mention proper shoe trees' effects are most needed while away from home (e.g., I tend to do more walking which tends to make my feet sweat, adding extra moisture to my shoes.)
    Last edited by ThomGault; 02-25-2019 at 06:17 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience is very different from mine. I've always found that stuffed socks didn't fill the space effectively enough to prevent the shoe from being deformed in a bag during travel, not to mention proper shoe trees effects are most needed while away from home (e.g., I tend to do more walking which tends to make my feet sweat, adding extra moisture to my shoes.)
    Yes, it definitely depends on the type of shoe, how tightly they're packed in the bag, and how they are worn/recover from being worn.

It had forgotten about shoe trees, etc, because my current lifestyle is lived in Merrell sandals, Merrell mocs, and ANSI certified safety boots - none of them very stylish but also pretty low maintenance to pack and travel with.
    I only have to worry about dirt!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use these semi-elastic shoe bags. They're great because they have a mesh part that lets them breath and the elasticity keeps them compact.

Packing shoes in the A30-97002_3_1-jpeg

Having said that, more recently I've switched to just using regular grocery bags. You don't have to worry about them getting dirty or scuffed or transferring shoe polish if they're dress shoes. The only real downside is that they don't breath.

Personally I wouldn't use a Tom Bihn packing cube for shoes. TB packing cubes are expensive and shoes are hard on whatever you put them in. TB packing cubes are perfect for clothes and their laundry stuff sack is absolutely amazing, but for shoes? I just use a plastic grocery bag. You'll probably end up getting one on your trip anyway, so you can use a new one coming home. Might as well reuse them as much as possible.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably an odd-ball, but I've never used any kind of 'shoe bag'. Then again, I also rarely pack any shoes. For work, I wear on the plane what I wear the whole week. Be that either boots, dress shoes or loafers, depending on the client and time of year. No need for any other shoes. For leisure, I usually wear my runners, and will pack a set of Crocs or sandals as my 'waterproof down to the pool' footwear and occasional change up shoe. These will be just put directly in my bag on top of my clothes, inverted so they're sole side up which will put the sole against the edge of the bag when it's zipped closed.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was facing this exact issue when looking for a way to carry my workout shoes in my gym bag. I ended up buying cotton produce bags, which work great.

I also like the Eagle Creek shoe sacs but I wanted something more breathable for sweaty shoes. I think it would be great if Tom Bihn made some Aether zippered shoe bags with a mesh strip for breathability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast