Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, I'm out of zipper. So help me think through this. Should I:

a) make an A30 packing cube that opens only on one side and 2 1/2 inches down each edge (my zipper is 17", the A30 packing cube is 12"on a side);

b) find a different way to close the cube (what? buttons? straps? ties? elastic cord somehow?)

c) give up and wait for the universe to send me a 39" zipper with two sliders? i.e. spend about $10 equivalent on such a zipper. I know of sources to get them cheaper but they all have shipping attached so it works out about that much. Considering I paid $10 for the original set of IKEA cubes I feel that this would in some way invalidate my re-making project.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm out of zipper. So help me think through this. Should I:

a) make an A30 packing cube that opens only on one side and 2 1/2 inches down each edge (my zipper is 17", the A30 packing cube is 12"on a side);

b) find a different way to close the cube (what? buttons? straps? ties? elastic cord somehow?)

c) give up and wait for the universe to send me a 39" zipper with two sliders? i.e. spend about $10 equivalent on such a zipper. I know of sources to get them cheaper but they all have shipping attached so it works out about that much. Considering I paid $10 for the original set of IKEA cubes I feel that this would in some way invalidate my re-making project.
    Option A sounds like an opening similar to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, if that leads you closer to a decision... :-)

Your work looks amazing! You're very skilled. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job!
    funny thing is I didn't know first if I will be able to take a new TB order (living far far away), I thought about buy and alter random packing cubes in the TB laundry way now I know it can work greatly (but I could take a new order with many TB accessories x))

BTW, A) seems a good option
    Last edited by Rei; 04-03-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am leaning towards A... it has the advantage that I have all the materials -- all I need is a 12 1/2 x 12 1/2" square of mesh and the rest is recycled. Fortunately I have a lot of purple mesh that I bought on a close-out somewhere, thinking it might be useful. I've had it for years and years and never touched it LOL. If this works OK I can remake the pink shoe bag as well - the second time is easier. I'm making a pink version of the laundry cube too. I don't know if I will ever use them but it's nice to know they are fit for purpose!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick post to say the end result (option A) seemed more like a new project than a mod so I posted it in my "self-sewn TB inspired" thread on the General Bags board. Now I have to decide what to do with the plastic-backed mesh from the top. But I am very pleased and will do the same changes to the pink set, and then I will have eight good cubes instead of just two, which is a big result!!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightbulb! At least I *think* so -- if I get a spare zipper slider (which I should have around somewhere), I can mod the flat padded cube by folding it in half. Then, I'll have a double-zippered padded small cube... put on some o-rings, a couple of webbing handles, even maybe a carabiner... Wait, did you say snake charmer??? Why yes, yes you did. Although, not nearly as fat.

I'm really enjoying my cube modding, in case you can't tell!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2