Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?

So the acquisition of more bags and packing cubes is off the table for the moment, but I want to change what we have to be more useful.

We have quite a selection of packing accessories I've acquired over the years (my husband just has a bunch of plastic bags of course). Most are simple fabric cubes. There are also some padded "makeup" style cases (like you used to get when flying, or as a freebie with a makeup purchase), and a few see-through zippered envelopes. I am armed with O-rings, webbing of several widths, and various bits of hardware. What mods should I make?

I'm considering:
    -- grab handle(s)
    -- o-rings on the outside, like on each end of the zipper (as found on 3DOC)
    -- tab with o-ring on the envelopes.

Any other suggestions?

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the o-rings! But you're already planning to do that.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you wish any of the pouches were a different shape or size? I've shortened a couple freebie makeup pouches that were too tall, and resized a zipped clam shell needle case.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TL;DR: How do I pack or improve the 3 useless packing cubes from the set below

Just a quick update: I'm sort of at a loss. So I have two sets of these from IKEA some years ago (one in pink and one in dark blue):

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-51-mpyfnqgl-_sx466_-jpg

There's a large single, a large two-sided, a small, and a long shapeless thing. I pretty much only ever use the large single because on the two-sided each side is only like 1 1/2" deep, and the small is only 1" deep, and I don't know what to do with the huge one. It seems like it ought to be a shoe bag, but it's WAY too big for my shoes and the "mesh" isn't mesh but plastic, so it doesn't breathe at all and in addition is kind of rigid, so it doesn't crumple to the odd shape of the shoe. Also, why is there a handle on the top? Do people for some reason hang their shoes? I've considered sewing the corners into a box maybe.

You are all so clever, can you help me with these please

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the two-sided one, you could either cut out the middle divider and just have one deeper section or else you could cut out the divider and put in a floating divider (like the TB laundry cubes have).

Is the small a good size for underwear? Cables? Dry toiletries?

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    and a long shapeless thing
    That shapeless one sounds like it's for muddy boots, but a plastic shopping bag would pack better. It might be more useful after swimming for a damp towel and bathing suit. But again, a plastic bag packs down better. Maybe it best to organize stuff at home rather than traveling with it. It might contain something like unruly like extension cords and extra cables. Or maybe make it smaller to use for a tool kit or to corral ratchet straps.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    For the two-sided one, you could either cut out the middle divider and just have one deeper section or else you could cut out the divider and put in a floating divider (like the TB laundry cubes have).

Is the small a good size for underwear? Cables? Dry toiletries?
    Is there anywhere I can see the floating divider? I can't quite picture it. I could easily remove the existing divider, I think, and then if it's just a matter of (say) binding the edges, attaching a flap and then sewing the flap to the seam, I think that is pretty manageable and would really improve this.

The small one is OK for underwear only (no socks) or potentially as you say for cables or toiletries. Or maybe first aid? it's a pretty good size for that. Thank you for the suggestion

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a photo from the website showing an A30 small laundry packing cube in NWS that shows the divider. You can see that the divider is still attached in the middle, probably where the divider is currently attached on yours, but it has extra material in the divider that lets it float all the way from the top of the cube to the bottom. That way you can pack it full with clean clothes, move each item to the other side as things get dirty, and the divider moves gradually from one side to the other as the clothing is moved to the other side.

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-screen-shot-2019-03-25-1-07-14-pm-png
    Last edited by aedifica; 03-25-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much, I looked for a picture but I didn't find it! So it's a kind of bag within a bag attached all the way round. I see it is just pleated into the seam also, so it must be a kind of oval shape. Interesting! Will have to experiment!

ETA: I removed the divider in the laundry cube I have. It was a rectangle with bound edges. I think if I cut a bigger rectangle and re-bind it with the same tape, I can just re-sew it in, and voilą, floating divider. And, it gives me a good idea for how to make a laundry stuff-sack too, using a similar technique. TBH I don't know that these cubes are worth it but I don't lose much if I destroy them!

Also, I just looked again at the small flat cube -- it has a padded bottom, so I think it is likely ideal for tech paraphernalia. Thanks for the idea!
    Last edited by ejvc; 03-25-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a bit of time and modified my useless double zipper cube to contain a floating divider! I'm very pleased with this mod, it worked really well. I ended up sewing the previous divider onto a larger mesh rectangle. I covered the edges of the previous divider with seam tape then bound the edge of the larger mesh with the original bias tape that had been used to edge the divider, pleating it at the corners. This effectively made a shallow rectangular bag. Then I sewed the bias tape back on the original stitching line around the cube. On one side when you open the divider you see only mesh, on the other side you see the original bottom. I guess the mesh side will be "dirty". I will also put a coloured cord on the zip tap. Finally I'm going to attach a little grosgrain handle.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I have had a bit of time and modified my useless double zipper cube to contain a floating divider! I'm very pleased with this mod, it worked really well. I ended up sewing the previous divider onto a larger mesh rectangle. I covered the edges of the previous divider with seam tape then bound the edge of the larger mesh with the original bias tape that had been used to edge the divider, pleating it at the corners. This effectively made a shallow rectangular bag. Then I sewed the bias tape back on the original stitching line around the cube. On one side when you open the divider you see only mesh, on the other side you see the original bottom. I guess the mesh side will be "dirty". I will also put a coloured cord on the zip tap. Finally I'm going to attach a little grosgrain handle.
    photo ?
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes, photo! Very soon! And I've figured out that I can mod the useless long bag into an A30 sized cube -- I just need to cut mesh for the lid and hope I have a sufficiently long zipper. Then the plastic mesh part can become a zipped envelope.

ETA: My zippers are half as long as they need to be. GRRRR!
    Last edited by ejvc; 04-01-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you said you wanted pictures... I show the inside both ways, with some detail shots, then packed (with only one side full) then finally a shot of the new handle and tag for the laundry side. Weight 124g without handle and ribbon tag - probably about 130g now. So, 30g heavier than TB version.

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2968-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2970-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2969-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2971-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2973-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2972-jpg

How should I mod my non-TB bags and packing cubes?-img_2974-jpg
    Last edited by ejvc; 04-02-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I've got several different brands of old packing cubes. I wonder if an alterations shop would do something like this for me. It would make them so much more functional. Thank you very much for sharing your ideas and photos! elisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast