Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you attach your Synapse to the handle of rolling luggage?

For most business travel I find myself carrying a rolling tumi suitcase as well as my synapse 25.

As I often have to travel in a suit or sportscoat, I typically avoid carrying the Synapse as a backpack, in favor of 'stacking' it on top of my rolling suitcase.

I've not found an elegant way of doing so. The top handle loop is too small to slide over the handle of my roller, and kind of looping the shoulder straps over the handle is awkward as well. Right now I just drop it on top of the bag, and grip the luggage handle as well as the top carrying loop of the S25 at the same time. It's awkard and the bag occasionally falls off.

I almost wonder if I should get a carribeaner or some kind of velcro loop to connect the bags? Anyone doing this?

Ideally this would loop to connect the handle to the top carrying loop of the synapse, but allow for a quick release for security or boarding.

I've seen some prior discussion of this but not a lot of solutions!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also often travel in a suit, but just wear the backpack. You are right about the lack of solutions for stacking though. I have seen other Synapses in the airport held by the handle on top of rolling luggage just as you describe. And when I am stacking, it's the same thing for me. I have the Heroclip carabiner, but have found that it's not perfect for securing backpacks to the handle of my B&R rollaboard.

Would love to hear a good solution though since I don't own any backpacks with the dedicated carryon handle feature.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you use the waist + sternum straps? (squeezed to the max)
    I don't use a rolling bag, but I guess I will do this way if I have to
    just a Bihnion here

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Can't you use the waist + sternum straps? (squeezed to the max)
    I don't use a rolling bag, but I guess I will do this way if I have to
    This

I was just thinking about this the other day with a trip coming up in a few weeks. I do not use the sternum straps and take them off but in this case I think with them wrapped around the handle and cinched it would work great

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually default to the waist/sternum/shoulder straps wrapped around my rollaboard, but in practice the silly thing keeps sliding off and unbalancing my whole load, every few steps. I've been meaning to try out at least one of these solutions:

(via Frank II) Travelon Bag Bungee

(via Meglet) Samsonite Spinner Add a Bag strap

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be just me, but this pack seems designed for a different era. I have a S25 and it's annoying on planes. The S25 really needs a an elastic piece to attach to a roller handle, this wouldn't take much space. As others have mentioned, the lack of a laptop sleeve also is a minus. The pack also is really long, so it sticks out a bit if you put it under a seat. Maybe they should shorten it and make it wider. Also, the S25 doesn't really naturally stand upright if you set it down.
    Last edited by NClens; 03-28-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think theres an elegant way of travelling with the S25 placed on top of luggge which is why I bought a Pilot for business trips. The shape of the bag doesn't allow for it to sit well on top of luggage - too long and narrow.
    There are times I envy the Tumi backpacks as they usually have a pass through but I bought the S25 for a variety of uses not just work and that's where it shines. I bring my S25 to the pool, gym, futsal games, typically after work. If I'm on holiday with the family, it comes with me on the plane as we check in everything else. Love the bag to bits.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    This may be just me, but this pack seems designed for a different era. I have a S25 and it's annoying on planes. The S25 really needs a an elastic piece to attach to a roller handle, this wouldn't take much space. As others have mentioned, the lack of a laptop sleeve also is a minus. The pack also is really long, so it sticks out a bit if you put it under a seat. Maybe they should shorten it and make it wider. Also, the S25 doesn't really naturally stand upright if you set it down.
    Interesting and insightful comment...I"m trying to think of modern everyday carry / travel bags that don't have a laptop compartment built in and am struggling. The only ones I can think of are tactical bags where you're more likely to be carrying around ammo than a computer. That said, I think a lot of bags don't have luggage pass throughs and I've always found them to be a bit inelegant of a flap.

I wonder if we will see a design refresh anytime soon....

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people don't travel with rollers or laptops, and would see an integrated laptop compartment and a roller handle attachment as needless complications that waste space and add bulk/weight.

If you need to travel with a laptop, the cache with rails system works well and has the added advantage of being fully removable.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I donít think that the S25 is designed to be a business travellers bag. Adding a roller handle piece would be unnecessary for everyday use and even for a lot of people while travelling. I use it as my one piece of luggage and a strap would be just one more bit to get caught/in the way. I also really appreciate the laptop cache being optional/removable because I very rarely carry a laptop, and if I do, I have a light padded sleeve I can just toss it in. If it was wider, it would be too wide for most people, but I do agree shortening it by an inch or two might be nice as even at 5í10Ē itís a little long on my torso. It does stand up straight with the frame though! Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you look around the airports, rail system, etc. in the US, you do see a lot of wheelie bags with pass through bags on top. You also see a lot of folks with just backpacks, hand carried duffles, and a variety of other systems. There is not one single predominant type of traveler out there or one system that will work for everyone.
    (Side not, I'm always amazed at the folks with huge open satchel totes with no closure system - klutz that I am, I would SO be spilling everything everywhere - yet they carry them with aplomb)

So count me as one of the business & leisure travelers who does not want a padded laptop built-in section or a pass-through or wheelie attachment on my backpack or any other bag.

When I do travel with a rolling suitcase (rarely since TB) , my laptop is in a pack on my back or sometimes inside the suitcase.

Usually I'm traveling with one of the Aeronaut's on my back and again the laptop(s) may be in that or may be in a Pilot or other hand carry bag. I've never even unzipped the pass-through on my Pilot - it's simply serves as an extra pocket.

I bought one of the original cache designs just to try out with my personal laptop... but since I'm Global Entry/TSA, I never have to remove a laptop - one of the prime benefits of the cache system.
    So whether I'm carrying a personal, business, or both, they're in neoprene zip sleeves that serve to protect them in the Aeronaut or any other bag. They also work well when walking around with just the laptop between buildings, hotel room to lobby meeting, etc.

I greatly prefer the options of modular systems that I can customize per trip. The volume space that I carry needs to be reallocated to suit whatever I'm carrying that trip. Too many built in options simply get in the way and reduce my options.

With all that being said, if you want to put your backpack on top of a wheelie, the bungee systems people have suggested are the ones I see the most out in the wild, especially that Travelon one (or ones that look a lot like it).

Good luck and share some pics if you find a system that works for you.
    Last edited by G42; 03-31-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    [...]
    I greatly prefer the options of modular systems that I can customize per trip. The volume space that I carry needs to be reallocated to suit whatever I'm carrying that trip. Too many built in options simply get in the way and reduce my options.
    [...]
    I agree,
    there are a lot of excellent bags with full built-in organisation, I love the ideas (and the bags, and the construction, and people behind them), but I likely wont buy them, because I don't like rigidity, I prefer more flexible, modular, (and so lighter) bags
    just a Bihnion here

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for solutions and stumbled on this. I understand the concerns about wasted stuff, but I definitely think there is a growing need for a Synapse that tailors a bit toward modern/business travel. My #1 request would be a rolling luggage sleeve, which a ton of competitors have at this point (eagle creek, Peak Design, etc.). I think a slightly rigid laptop area would be nice too, but it's less of a deal killer. The rail/cache system just has less appeal in the era of TSA Pre, I think, as I rarely have to remove a laptop in that fashion. I have a Peak Design bag for camera stuff that is quite rigid and I certainly don't want to see the Synapse go in that direction. But I feel those are a couple of upgrades that wouldn't be particularly problematic for anyone and would still keep the weight low.

I also think in this era, it is quite common to see lawyers and bankers and the like using backpacks for travel, so I'm not sure the Pilot (which I have and like) is necessarily the business alternative anymore.

Fullerton, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the biggest issue I have while traveling with the Synapse and a laptop is the general usability of the main compartment with the current generation laptop cache. The 'ribbons' on the outside of the Cache (used for horizontal carry in the briefcase/shoulder bag line) in concert with the 'dump' pocket on the opposite wall result in items constantly getting caught/snagged while trying to get them in and out of the main compartment. The problem got worse when I added the frame sheet... although the trade off in comfort was worth it to me. I'm about 95% sure I'm simply going to cut the horizontal 'ribbon rails' off the two Caches I have, as I don't really ever see myself using a Bihn briefcase.

I've mentally gone back and forth with the desire to have a Synapse with an integrated frame sheet/laptop sleeve. I think at this stage I'm leaning more towards a redesign of the removable frame sheet/laptop cache rather than a complete integration of the two. For personal trips I almost never take a laptop, so the ability to regain that space is nice. Similarly when carrying a laptop I appreciate the internal frame, but if I'm really only packing clothes I prefer to go without it.

As for the luggage strap... yeah, I miss not having one, but so many of my usual EDC bags (Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 21, Goruck GR1, Evergoods CPL24) don't have one either... I've just sort of gotten used to it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEwing View Post
    As for the luggage strap... yeah, I miss not having one, but so many of my usual EDC bags (Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 21, Goruck GR1, Evergoods CPL24) don't have one either... I've just sort of gotten used to it.
    Welcome to the Forums @MisterEwing! I quoted a wee bit of your post so that this would alert you to our hello's and to point you to this thread, if you haven't seen it yet today:

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ck-design.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast