Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit

Hi BihnPeeps - looking for input from the Hive Mind

I'm contemplating a small Cafe or medium Cafe Freudian slip for work stuff... Maybe it's Spring fever, but the Grass one is looking good to go with my Steel halcyon/Solar S19 and Steel ballistic/Island Pilot. I switch between them for EDC/work travel. Every once in a while the Co-Pilot will be used, but my laptop is too big for it, so that's not a requirement.

Usually I'm fine with keeping sets of things in each bag, but there are some specific/unique work items that have to move between them and having to move just the FS would make that easier/more idiot proof

My work specific stuff:

-pens, pencils, & short tools currently in a small Ghost Whale (this is at max capacity)
    -power brick/cord for an HP elite book & phone charger in a SSC, only when I travel, so usually in the Pilot and it's definitely not full
    -small notebook - usually a Moleskin Cahier (~5x8.25" ish)
    -sometimes a pair of work gloves, but I can throw them in...

I'm fairly confident that everything would fit into the small or medium Cafe FSs, except for the powerbrick/cord - that may be an issue with the small.
    I'll end up ordering & test packing for sure, but if you have experience packing this type of stuff, please share

Thanks!

ETA: aha! I wasn't clear... I would remove the items that are currently in the sGW and SSC and stow them in the pockets of the FS... I was trying to give an estimate of the volume of stuff Embarrassment
    Last edited by G42; 04-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an fyi on HP bricks. My office just gave me a slim adapter that is about half the width and weight as originally came with my HP Elitebook. The length is about the same though. It will definitely be nicer to travel with.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi G42, I took a couple of quick shots to illustrate my answer...

Here is the medium CBFS loaded with a packed small Ghost Whale, some pencils, a small Moleskine (it is actually smaller than yours, about 3,5" x 5,5" thus you might need to put it in the zippered back pocket). Next to the SSC is the power brick/cable for my Lenovo Laptop as well as a phone charger.

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-1-jpg

The SSC loaded with the electronics in the elastic back pocket of the medium CBFS

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-2-jpg

As you can see: the small CBFS is really small. And you might have difficulties fitting all your stuff in this one.

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-3-jpg

You can squeeze the SSC in the elastic back pocket and the moleskin in the zippered pocket on the back (should also work with yours).

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-6-jpg

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-5-jpg

Freudian Slip - how well do powerbricks fit-fs-4-jpg

For my taste the small CBFS would be too small for the things you want to carry but it might still work.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post

For my taste the small CBFS would be too small for the things you want to carry but it might still work.
    Thanks for all the photos @bartleby!

It also makes clear that I was not clear in my first post (which I will update) Embarrassment
    ... would things fit better if they weren't in the GW and SCC?

I would put all the pens/pencils/small tools in the slots, the Moleskine (as you suggest) in the back slip pocket... it's really whether the powerbrick (2 pieces) and a random phone charger can fit in a combo of the front & back pockets...
    Looks like the mCBFS is good as you say - the small maybe a little iffy...
    Last edited by G42; 04-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    ... would things fit better if they weren't in the GW and SCC?
    oh, that makes a lot more sense :-) I don‘t know how massive your power brick is but I think it should fit into the lower front pockets of the medium CBFS as they are quite big and have elastic straps at the top. So I‘d reckon that you can fit all of your stuff in the front pockets and that the notebook would nicely fit in one of the back pockets with some space left for your gloves...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    oh, that makes a lot more sense :-) I don‘t know how massive your power brick is but I think it should fit into the lower front pockets of the medium CBFS as they are quite big and have elastic straps at the top. So I‘d reckon that you can fit all of your stuff in the front pockets and that the notebook would nicely fit in one of the back pockets with some space left for your gloves...
    Thanks again... this means I have to definitely test pack both of them, not just one of them (and hopefully not keep both!)