Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the solutions that involve awls! I may take you up on that (since I am currently attempting a buy-nothing year) but I found these from Wildo previously.

https://www.naturkompaniet.se/shop/w...0004304-black/

Now I'm thinking about what little jars I might have available. Some tiny ones from previous travel sets maybe? I don't think we have any of those bitty marmalade jars. To seal them I would just use a little square of waxed paper under the lid (I have some small smoothie jars with holes in the lids for straws -- I haven't found a solid lid yet so I just put waxed paper under and they've never spilled).

If you want to read more about my buy-nothing year, I'm at The Fabulous Dr. E's Fabulous Blog – Buying nothing, making things, thinking other things.. Also there's stuff about sewing and machine knitting and other crafts I may indulge in. I know that sounds like an ad, just to reassure you I'm not a "professional" blogger and I make no money from my blog.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mini shaker up cycling: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-salt-shaker/ -- turns out there are many people DIY'ing salt shakers out there on the interwebs.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Container Store also has a tiny inexpensive pocket shaker, there's no rule you have to put salt and pepper in it.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/poc...=salt%20shaker
    My son took one of those to college, but he carried a salt shaker all through high school. His friends all knew he had salt for fries and tater tots!

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    If you want to read more about my buy-nothing year, I'm at The Fabulous Dr. E's Fabulous Blog – Buying nothing, making things, thinking other things.. Also there's stuff about sewing and machine knitting and other crafts I may indulge in. I know that sounds like an ad, just to reassure you I'm not a "professional" blogger and I make no money from my blog.
    What a wonderful blog, ejvc! I’ll be catching up on reading it, from the beginning!

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small light weight lunch box ice packs? I really like my cold foods cold when consumed. I usually bring 1 or 2 with me when we travel somewhere that I have access to a freezer & I plan on packing day trip snacks.
    Also for foods have you ever tried pesto pasta cold? I make it almost every week for my daughter's cold lunch (at her request). I use any small pasta I have on hand & any veggies ( I usually use peppers, onions, edamame) & toss with our favorite pesto sauce & maybe some feta or parmesan. It delicious, easy to make & can use what ever you have on hand. Always make for picnics. Also seasoning to make your own dipping oil (like the kind they serve at Italian restaurants with the bread) we love that with a good bread on picnics too. Yum! Now I want to pack a picnic lunch.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Flowerchild81; 05-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakers: upcycled spice boxes

Fragile fruits or snacks containers: upcycled dips and spread jars.

Before you use either, make sure that none has even the tiniest of crack and preferably use plastic or bamboo spoon to cut soft fruits inside the jar.

Best cloth napkins: the kitchen cloths used by chefs to wipe their hands, you see them on all the cooking shows.

They are long and wide enough to protect the front and lap of even the messier eater, even an adult.

To keep stuff cold, the cold bags in the pain relieving aisles in pharmacy. It might be next to bandages, because they are used in sprains.

Grab a couple, place them in the freezer, use one at the base of a Travel Tray or, one of the bigger Travel Stuff Sacks place the food containers on top; then the sturdy food, like fruits, on top of both; then the second ice pack.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ideas!

Spice jars (indeed any jars) will I think be too heavy and fragile to tote with us, but definitely looking at upcycling.

Cold packs -- I think we will often be without a freezer so not sure how much use we would get out of these, but you're right, wilted veg are no fun. On the other hand, one thing I did all the time when my kids were little was to pack out frozen vegetables -- particularly peas and corn, which were fun for little hands to pick. I would add those now to a pasta salad (for example) to keep it cool. But I'll think about how to add cold -- we live somewhere that is never really hot so it's not something I have a lot of strategies for.

I love pesto salad but my kids won't eat anything with dressing or sauce, and also nothing mixed (I just tell myself it's a phase). No sandwiches either. I mean I guess they would if they were hungry enough but... pasta with olive oil and salt is about their limit. On the other hand they'll eat all kinds of vegetables raw and plain -- carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, fennel, celery, peas, corn -- so I'm not complaining! We usually bring it all separate and then my husband and I mix. I guess it's probably healthier anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2