Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps

I have a whole pile of the two sided cache rail clips, as well as the retaining straps that come in things like the western flyer and tri-star (two pieces, clips in both ends, joined by a buckle).

I’ve had these for years and years trying to come up with an alternative use for them but I’m at a loss.

Any ideas?

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send them to me? I like to make bags :-)

OK, better answers: you can use them to add removable straps to bags that don't have them, by sewing a webbing loop to the outside of the bag -- turn your packing cubes into packing cube shoulder bags? Or, maybe you have a couple of cheap cotton tote bags, like you get at conferences, you can join them at the top at the same time as sewing in some webbing loops, and hey presto you will have a lined bag with a comfy strap that is removable for washing.

What else? you could put them on existing straps with one side of the clip and then use the other side to attach a secondary bag? like putting a padded pouch onto a shoulder strap?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas all, ejvc!

Don’t get me started on the conference bags. I’ve stopped taking them now when I register. They just pile up like tribbles.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right? I've begun trying to make other bags from them. I made a pretty successful lunch bag with one and a fat quarter of quilting cotton (I haven't photographed it) and during the process realised how I could maybe make that process simpler, so easier to from cotton bags that are flat into shorter ones with a boxed bottom, which I find more useful. If they weren't screen printed but made in printed fabric they would be useful for all kinds of things! As it is one is often trying to hide the logo...

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a baby and I'm finding out about a whole world of infant / kid stuff. Could they be used as stroller straps for a bag? To hook a bag around the handle?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    I recently had a baby and I'm finding out about a whole world of infant / kid stuff. Could they be used as stroller straps for a bag? To hook a bag around the handle?
    Congrats on having your baby! (I don't know anything about those clips)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzn View Post
    I have a whole pile of the two sided cache rail clips, as well as the retaining straps that come in things like the western flyer and tri-star (two pieces, clips in both ends, joined by a buckle).
    Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Yes, you can use these as general lash straps with a buckle closing. If @bzn (or someone else) still uses wheeled luggage, these straps are the correct length for securing items to a handle. For example, to secure a light backpack to the handle of a “wheelie”, tighten the waist strap, and then use these around the backpack straps higher up: pass the luggage handle through both.

For people with Smart Alecs, the straps can be used to secure items to the front or top of the bag (where the lower or upper modular pockets get attached), because they use the same size 1” Gatekeeper clips. So, you could use this to carry a rolled yoga mat, or a jacket/raincoat secured to the outside.

I think the retainer strap versions that @bzn has might be the later ones with double gatekeeper clips sewn at the end, since he replaced his original Tri-Star and Western Flyer when they were stolen. But the earlier versions of these straps are more flexible for bag hacking—they use a Single Gatekeeper clip inserted into a fabric loop at each end instead of Double Gatekeeper Clips sewn on each end. That means you can slip the Single Gatekeeper Clips entirely off the ends of the webbing loops, and use them separately (for example, to attach side effects as upper modular pockets to Smart Alecs). But it also means that if you want to use each strap to retain rolled items that you pack, in the older design straps you can simply pull out one Single Gatekeeper Clip free of its loop end, then attach the other end of the Single Gatekeeper Clip at the other strap section end (so only one clip joins the two ends—possible because both ends have free loops, and either side of any Single Gatekeeper Clip can hook into that loop), then tighten the buckle end to the size you need. Use this to secure packing items independently within your luggage, as well as attach items to strollers and handlebars.

Or, use it for armband items — like holding an ice pack in place. You can also use these to secure some items to the outside of Side Kicks and Side Effects, or to attach small items to the side webbing on the Citizen Canine.

And, as previously stated, Single Gatekeeper Clips by themselves can be used to hack bags so caches with rails can be used in the older bags with Annex Clips attachment points (e.g., old western flyers), or modding an older Smart Alec to carry a Lead’s Pocket from the Guide’s Pack Inside.

Darcy had a mod using the double Gatekeeper retainers for caches with rails in older bags with Annex Clips to fit them for caches. (I’ll have to add this later, since switching multiple screens from TapaTalk on my phone to get links and images is hard — it appeared near one Christmas).

In general, the other uses for the short double Gatekeeper rail straps are more specific to hacking specific bag piggyback combinations.

HTH,

moriond

Also, there are sturdier version of other straps for some of these hacks (webbing instead of cloth). The Smart Alec Gatekeeper straps let me adjust to using smaller waist straps for my Side Effect; the Guide’s Pack lash straps and Ice axe strap have heavier duty webbing,and let me thread the open end, so it works better to secure an ice gel pack around an ankle, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are follow-up photos to illustrate some of the alternate uses for luggage retainer straps discussed in my response to @bzn and @sarah_atx

Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps-img_3964-jpg

Here I show the current style retainer straps (top) compared to the older style retainer strap that was in use when the Aeronaut 30 first debuted (middle) and one of the (Coyote) 1" webbing lash straps from the Guide's Pack.

These straps are of similar length. The material of the luggage retainer straps is fabric that is less tough than the webbing used for the lash straps, since they're only meant to secure clothing items inside luggage bags. The buckle attachment for the retainer straps is similar light weight: it's not designed for supporting large stresses. The open buckle shows that this has a T-shaped, flat tongue that locks into the female part of the open buckle in the strap at the top; it is not designed to engage with any other accessory, and the buckle parts are stitched to the strap ends. There's a small, thumb-shaped depression in an otherwise flat surface to dis-engage the buckle. The back side of the (closed), flat buckle can be seen in the middle strap view, which shows the older version of the retaining strap -- flipped so that you can see the rather featureless, flat buckle.

Note that one difference between the older (top) and newer (middle) versions of the luggage retainer straps is the use of 1" double gatekeeper clips that are sewn onto the ends vs. 1" single gatekeeper clips that can be slipped free from the ends of the loops sewn at the ends of the straps. In the middle picture, the single gatekeeper clip at the right end of the strap has been detached and is separated from the end loop. This also means that should you want to join the two ends, or to chain more than one strap length together, it's more easily done with the old style straps that use single gatekeeper clips, since you can hook either end of a single gatekeeper clip into a webbing loop, as well as being able to detach them and use them separately for other bag hacks. (You can still hook a double gatekeeper clip into the webbing loop where another double gatekeeper clip is sewn in -- it's just more awkward with the extra hardware sticking out.)

The bottom view of the lash straps shows another strap of similar length, but sturdier both in the webbing material and in the way it can be secured to the buckle. There are actually two Guide's Edition lash straps in the bottom picture -- each consists of a ladderloc design buckle attached to a length of webbing, with no additional attachment at the other end. (The end of the strap at the left extends about 1 buckle length to the right, past the "TB" tag on the rightmost buckle, and lies behind the second strap.) However, I can thread a webbing end of one lash strap through the buckle of another lash strap. Similarly, I could make a loop by threading the webbing end of one lash strap through its buckle.

Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps-img_3966-jpg

The next picture shows a measuring tape to show scale. The center view shows the original version retainer strap with joined ends (a single 1" gatekeeper clip joined the loop of one strap end to another). You can see that the available extent of the flattened loop is about 10 inches. I don't have wheeled luggage to take pictures, but I tried this around a Samsonite "wheelie", and the passthru handle was under 7" wide (probably around 6.5" by my estimate -- I didn't have a ruler, so I judged it relative to my handspan). In any case, there's plenty of room to use it to secure items around a wheeled luggage handle.

I've also shown this against the handle of a Small, Zip-Top Shop Bag in Island Halcyon. You could use the retainer straps to attach such a bag to a stroller or a handle bar, provided you aren't putting much weight into the bag -- remember, the buckles and straps are not that strong.

The bottom strap shows a single Coyote lash strap from the Guide's Pack so you can see the length. (There's also a shorter Ice Axe Strap that might be used for some purposes, and which can support more weight than the retainer straps designed for clothing)

Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps-img_3968-jpg

Here's an example of how you could use the retainer strap around backpack straps (shown at the back of a Luminary 12). Pass the handle of your wheeled luggage through the space between the retaining strap and backpack at the top, and the waiststrap at the bottom.

The retaining straps can also work on the front of the Smart Alec, since the webbing loops there are designed for 1" Gatekeeper Clips. You could use the clips to secure a light rain jacket to the front of the Smart Alec. This works better than stuffing the coat or jacket into the bungee straps, and the weight is well suited to the retainer straps. Hope someone else can take more pictures now that I've made some of these suggestions.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-23-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy had a mod using the double Gatekeeper retainers for caches with rails in older bags with Annex Clips to fit them for caches. (I’ll have to add this later, since switching multiple screens from TapaTalk on my phone to get links and images is hard — it appeared near one Christmas).

In general, the other uses for the short double Gatekeeper rail straps are more specific to hacking specific bag piggyback combinations.

HTH,

moriond
    Here's Darcy's mod for using the cache clips:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We experimented with various possibilities for those who want to clip a Cache in a bag that doesn't have rail loops but does have webbing for Annex Clips. And we came up with a few different solutions that we think work pretty well: one for bags that fit the Horizontal Cache and two for bags that fit the Vertical Cache (the spacing of the Cache rails differs between the horizontal and vertical versions, thus the two different solutions.)

Note: the following methods are a little difficult to describe in text, so see the very amateur video further below that we made.

How To Clip a Horizontal Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Wiggle one of the Gatekeeper Clips on your Gatekeeper Rail Clip so that it's vertical and slide it through the open loop of webbing meant for the Annex Clip. Then, wiggle the Gatekeeper Clip back to horizontal. This solution works well and looks almost as if it was intended to work this way.

How To Clip a Vertical Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Option #1 Basically just clipping the Gatekeeper Rail Clip on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Though the basic functionality here works, the Gatekeeper Rail Clip will be twisted and it's not that elegant of a solution.

Option #2 If you have one of our backpacks, you probably also have a Gatekeeper Waist Strap. To use this hack, clip the Gatekeeper Clips of your Gatekeeper Waist Strap on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Then, unclip the side release buckles of the Gatekeeper Waist Strap, and then reclip them over the rails of your Cache. It basically allows for a Cache with rails system -- without using Gatekeeper Rail Clips.

What we think is great about these hacks/solutions is that most people will be able to make them work without buying any additional parts or adapters.

Here's a quick iPhone video we made that demonstrates the options.

P.S. We do have a few Size 6Z Horizontal Brain Cells left, which would fit your 13" MBP, @ikomrad. If you'd like to order one: emailus@tombihn.com
    And here's another picture from my post in the Side Effect attached to Medium Cafe Bag?

There are more pictures in the thread.

I'm also pretty sure that @tpnl had some bag hacks where he used the Gatekeeper Rail Clips to piggyback bags when he had to make up the slight difference in bag lengths to an attachment point that could used the Gatekeeper to hook on.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.