Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laundry Packing Cube for Tristar?

There doesn't seem to be a laundry packing cube option for the Tristar.

Can anyone recommend the best fit from the other laundry packing cubes?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @lawrenceporter!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Tristar but if you look at the size of the packing cubes for Tristar, you can make some assumptions about what might work.
    You'll see that the thicknesses are all TS cubes are 2.4"
    The A30 laundry cubes are 4.1 and the A45 4.3.... so if you use them, you'd want to under pack a bit and/or accept some stealing of space from one side of the TS to the other....

To me it feels like the A30 cubes would fit the best, leaving a smidge of space to tuck other things into gaps...
    Depending on what you want to carry in them for clothes would dictate whether you try smalls or large.

Have you traveled with your TS already? How do you currently organize?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @lawrenceporter!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Tristar but if you look at the size of the packing cubes for Tristar, you can make some assumptions about what might work.
    You'll see that the thicknesses are all TS cubes are 2.4"
    The A30 laundry cubes are 4.1 and the A45 4.3.... so if you use them, you'd want to under pack a bit and/or accept some stealing of space from one side of the TS to the other....

To me it feels like the A30 cubes would fit the best, leaving a smidge of space to tuck other things into gaps...
    Depending on what you want to carry in them for clothes would dictate whether you try smalls or large.

Have you traveled with your TS already? How do you currently organize?
    Hi G42 - many thanks for your warm welcome.

Ive had the Tristar for about 10 years and have travelled with it internationally many times, usually with business attire. I love the bag. I also have a Western Flyer which I used to take on shorter trips, although less so now as its the version without backpack straps which, as I get older, I appreciate more and more.

Recently I acquired an Aeronaut 45, for a specific kind of trip where I need to take items which are two voluminous for a TS compartment. I picked up some laundry cubes at the same time and they immediately solved a problem I didnt realise Id had for a long time. On a trip I toss my laundry in the bottom of the hotel room closet and, on the last day fold it all and put it back in the TS packing cube. Its quite tedious. I often have some unworn items and have to come up with a way to separate them from the used items. Now, with the A45 laundry cube, I fold and pack used items on a daily basis as I go along. This simplifies my final pack and gives me a quicker getaway for my homeward journey.

Having read your post I did something I should have thought of before. Im packed to fly out with the A45 tomorrow. I tried the A45 small laundry cube, fully packed, in the front compartment of the TS. It only just fits! It needs to be squished just a little but it will easily do the job. When I get my A30 (yes I know) the A30 laundry cube will probably be a little better although perhaps, as you say, a little small.

In the longer term, I would expect that Tom Bihn will produce laundry packing cubes specifically for the TS??

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above solution applies to underwear and socks. In the TS I use a large TS packing cube for shirts, in the back compartment. The large A45 laundry packing cube is not a good substitute for the TS cube. So I still have a problem with shirts.

However, now that I've solved socks and underwear, it's not unfeasible to fold each shirt before dropping it in the bottom of the closet, ready for quick packing on the final day.

BTW, although I don't use an Eagle Creek garment folder, I carry the EC packing board with me to get an absolutely consistent length and width of folded items in the large TS packing cube. I find it's worth the extra weight.
    Last edited by lawrenceporter; 06-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been known to bring the EC packing board with me for certain bags, too!!!! But I find that for TS shaped bags, I do bring the EC packing folder, and at the end of the day, I refold what I wore and stick it at the bottom of the pile of clothes in the folder.

I do LOVE the laundry cubes.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceporter View Post
    On a trip I toss my laundry in the bottom of the hotel room closet and, on the last day fold it all and put it back in the TS packing cube. Its quite tedious. I often have some unworn items and have to come up with a way to separate them from the used items. Now, with the A45 laundry cube, I fold and pack used items on a daily basis as I go along. This simplifies my final pack and gives me a quicker getaway for my homeward journey.
    Hi @lawrenceporter and another warm welcome to the forum!

I practice it exactly the same way: Throw everything in the bottom of the closet during my stay and then separate the dirty and fresh laundry thanks to the Laundry PC when using the A45!

However, I think the packing cubes for the Tristar are a bit too flat to work in the same way, although I would certainly order one immediately if it became available. To me, things would be a bit different if all-fabric packing cubes for the Tristar would still exist. This would allow to pack the dirty laundry inside and leave the fresh shirts outside fixing them with the straps in the back compartment. All-fabric packing cubes would also come in handy for shoes. I use my A45 all-fabric small PC for shoes but a dedicated all fabric PC (Halcyon!) for the Tristar in the medium or small size would be great.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by lawrenceporter; 06-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these inexpensive (but durable) nylon laundry bags tucked into every travel bag:
    https://www.containerstore.com/s/lau...uctId=11001347

I use it for things that don't fit (or I don't want to fit) into the TB laundry cubes. You might consider getting one of these or similar.
    If you neatly fold your dirty shirts & pants right after your remove them (can I tease you & @bartelby for tossing your dirty clothes on the floor!?) and place them into this bag, you are in effect creating your own dirty cube.

It's not as elegant a solution as the cubes, but since the TS & WF are flat-pack bags, making two sided laundry cubes doesn't seem as practical, which is probably why TB didn't do it...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (can I tease you & @bartelby for tossing your dirty clothes on the floor!?)
    Ill definitely give it a try

...and thanks for the link to the all purpose cube!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a comparison of a packed (5-days of socks and underwear) A45 laundry cube and an empty TS cube - both outside and inside the Tristar: (The TS cube is the one I've used up to now for underwear, socks etc.)

Laundry Packing Cube for Tristar?-2019-06-06-10-52-03_480-jpg

Laundry Packing Cube for Tristar?-2019-06-06-10-52-39_480-jpg

Laundry Packing Cube for Tristar?-2019-06-06-10-54-01_480-jpg
    Last edited by lawrenceporter; 06-06-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...since the TS & WF are flat-pack bags, making two sided laundry cubes doesn't seem as practical, which is probably why TB didn't do it...
    Not sure I'm following you G42? For efficient packing in a 3-compartment bag like the Tristar, I need to fold everything flat, even my dirty clothes. The laundry cube is ideal for this and ensures that the total depth of the items (clean + dirty) is always the same. Also it's all enclosed predictably in the same area of the bag. I would never have to think of where to locate my newly filled dirty-laundry bag.

I suppose I could achieve the same effect with a duplicate "dirty laundry" packing cube laid directly behind the clean one. But then it's two cubes to keep track of compared to the single laundry cube.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I'm following you G42? For efficient packing in a 3-compartment bag like the Tristar, I need to fold everything flat, even my dirty clothes. The laundry cube is ideal for this and ensures that the total depth of the items (clean + dirty) is always the same. Also it's all enclosed predictably in the same area of the bag. I would never have to think of where to locate my newly filled dirty-laundry bag.

I suppose I could achieve the same effect with a duplicate "dirty laundry" packing cube laid directly behind the clean one. But then it's two cubes to keep track of compared to the single laundry cube.
    I think the issue is laundry packing cube will always be thicker than TS packing cubes, because the two zips need a minimum of thickness, that is why it can be as flat and somehow can go in the way of efficient packing in TS (or WS/P/CP)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I think the issue is laundry packing cube will always be thicker than TS packing cubes, because the two zips need a minimum of thickness, that is why it can be as flat and somehow can go in the way of efficient packing in TS (or WS/P/CP)
    I can see your point. We would be sharing two zipped compartments in a total width of 2.4 inches. Is this too little to be achievable in practice?
    Aeronaut 45 (black/island), Tristar (steel/solar), Western Flyer (steel/solar), Synapse 19 (deep blue/iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant was that I think there is a practical minimum amount of space to efficiently make the cubes... it's the layers of materials and the seams to join the panels together - and TB is quite particular about the 'fit and finish' final appearance of their bags.
    I have no insider knowledge of their reasoning - just looking at the A30 laundry cubes I have, the dimensions needed for a TS version doesn't strike me as practical.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try out the A45 laundry cube on my next Tristar trip and report back.
    Aeronaut 45 (black/island), Tristar (steel/solar), Western Flyer (steel/solar), Synapse 19 (deep blue/iberian)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast