Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes recommendations for Synapse 19?

I have a Synapse 19 (it came with a beautiful cat drawing, thanks TB team!) and a relative has a great (but temporary) employee discount at Eagle Creek.

I have been eyeing their Specter gear for ages. Does anyone use EC Specter cubes in their S19? What works or doesn't work? Also, can you recommend any EC products as accessories for the S19?

Thanks!
    Last edited by greenglass; 06-29-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @greenglass, welcome to the Forums! And enjoy your new S19. What color combination did you get?

I did a Google search for site:forums.tombihn.com ("eagle creek" OR "specter" OR "spectre") ("s19" OR "synapse 19") and found two posts for you. Maybe other people will chime in as well.

In these post quotes, you can click the red arrow in the top line of the quote box to go to the original post, which often has more information. The second quote below is an excerpt from a much longer post reviewing the S19 and comparing it to another backpack. (Also, if the second post's photos don't load inline here, you can click the "attachment" links to see each photo or you can just go to the original post and see them there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slaynie View Post
    It looks like it's this combo, the Eagle Creek Compression Cubes: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-S...70_&dpSrc=srch

I have this set in white, and in my S25 I turn the larger one sideways and rest the smaller one on top. In the S19, I have to stand the larger one up vertically and kind of wedge the smaller one in at an angle on the side. It's a bit awkward but it works!

In the larger one, I can typically fit 4-6 larger shirts and PJs. The smaller one I usually use for socks, underwear, PJs if they don't fit in the larger one. Pants I just roll and put in the bottom of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherim View Post
    PACKING
    Either you will use packing cube, or you will not. If not, then the main compartment is easy to pack, and the bag retains enough structure to find things easily.
    Attachment 17869

If you use cubes, packing is a little more intersting. A full but uncompressed large Eagle Creek Pack-It Spectre compression cube will fit sideways with a little lengthwise squishing of the packit, and leaves some room on the top for a half-size and perhaps a few other things. In this way, the compression sack is flexible and allows the pack to shape around your back a little.
    Attachment 17874 Attachment 17873

When compressed, packits tend to become square-pebble shaped, thinner at the edges, fatter in the middle. A compressed packit has less give leengthways and tends to force the bag wider, and thinner. The compression saves a little space in the main compartment (although less than might be imagined), but at the expense of having the bag wear like a outward-curved board against your back. Not terrible, but not ideal.
    Attachment 17872 Attachment 17870

Compressed and lengthways reduces the board effect a little, but at the expense of usable area in the main compartment.
    Attachment 17871

My recommendation would be to go sideways, uncompressed with the large packit, and put other sacks on top.

In terms of what fits in the lower pocket. A packed quarter packit will fit, with about 3 inches empty on one side. The space is around 11"x5"x3", slightly curved at the edges and the front -- a D-shape almost.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an S19, but I love the Spectre Tech Compression Cubes. They're different from the TB cubes (I generally use a combo of both when traveling with a rollaboard). I believe they sell a combo pack of different sizes and would recommend that you use the employee discount on trying them out.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies! My S19 is Black/Wasabi halcyon.

Also, thanks for sharing the threads - I saw one of them, and with the newer styles of packing cubes, I wondered if anyone had thoughts on them.

I think I will get a multi-pack of several sizes (anything larger than M looks like it won't fit well in the pack and some smaller cubes for organization.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I use the Specter compression cubes. The half cube size fits my clothes, so I've never used the full size cubes for travel. The half cube fits very well in the Synapse19. elisa

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Specter Compression Cubes as well. A compressed L and compressed M cube fit great in the S19 with room for a few other smaller items.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how well this will work in the S19, but I like using the EC Specter Tube Cube as a stuff sack (containing a rain jacket or underwear) in the top center and bottom front pockets.