Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

packing the Aeronaut 45

Hello,
    My trip to England in September will be my first attempt at carry-on only. I will be getting the Aeronaut 45. For those of you who have one-do you use the packing cubes designed for the bag? If so, do you have room left over for smaller items like a toiletry bag in the main compartment? I already have some Eagle Creek Specter cubes-do any of you use these cubes instead, and if so do you find that you can pack the Aeronaut efficiently using them instead of the cubes designed for it? Thanks for your advice!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi emg823 and welcome to the forums! I have an A45 and I use the A45 packing cubes. Typically, I use one or two large cubes in the main compartment depending on how much I have to pack. With two packing cubes in the main compartment there is still some space left for smaller items e.g. some organizer pouches. I you want to pack your toiletry bag in the main compartment I would suggest to use one large and one small packing cube. I typically put my toiletry bag in one of the end pockets with some other stuff.
    I hope that someone else can answer your questions regarding the Eagle Creek packing cubes.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @emg823!

I have A30 packing cubes that I use in both the A30 and A45. Since the A30 cubes are a bit smaller, I just use other stuff sacks, 3DOCs, etc. to fill in the gaps as needed. I do have some EC Specter cubes that I also use, depending on what I'm bringing for that trip: the long tube one, the quarters/smalls, and the mediums.
    I've always liked have more cubes/stuff sacks that I can use at once, since it allows me to customize per trip. With that being said, I usually end up using all three of my A30 Small Laundry cubes in the main compartment, a Small Snake Charmer for non-liquid toiletries, electric toothbrush, etc. and the clear 3DOC for liquids.

If you need help visualizing, I suggest you put everything you think you'd want to bring on a typical trip onto your bed. Stack like items together (shirts, pants, etc) or outfits (shirt + pants)... get everything into piles that make sense to how you will use them on the trip, then measure those piles and see what cubes/sacks will fit. Stack the stacks into the dimensions of the bag and see if anything has to change.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! There is definitely an art to this. I always considered myself an organized packer but I'll be taking it to a whole new level

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i pack the mail compartment with 2 sm packing cubes, 1 sm laundry cube and that laundry stuff sack.
    1cube for t-shirt’s
    1 cube for pants and shorts
    1 cube (laundry one) for t shirts/undershirts
    laundry stuff sack for socks and underwear)

the shoulder end (top/least likely to be crushed) i pack with 6x8x3 tsa toiletry bags... one for liquids and one for other toiletries. pack it in the end for super easy access at airport (or anywhere). like these... https://www.amazon.com/Lermende-Appr...gateway&sr=8-8

the bottom end i pack with clear quarter packing cubes. i pack the, with all my odds and end... tape, para cord, pends, note pads, chargers, first aid kit, you name it. all the odds and ends.

i tend to leave the interior deciders unzippered with lets stuff shift.

pack a large zippered shop bag for overflow.