Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

NC, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for attaching items to outside of the Synapse/Synik

I have always been intrigued by the Synapse, and now with the new Synik coming out, I'm seriously considering it to replace multiple bags I use for travel. Right now, I have the following uses for backpacks while traveling...

1. A personal item, carry on bag for flights to keep all the items I nee during travel such as documents, headphones, iPad, etc... under the seat in front of me.
    2. An every day carry bag while sightseeing on my travels.
    3. One bag travel for shorter trips.
    4. An every day carry bag during large fan conventions (like Comic-Con).

Right now, I have 4 different bags for these 4 different purposes. I can easily see the new Synik 30 replacing #1, #2 and #3. #4 is the issue. While at fan conventions, I usually have a poster tube lashed to one side of my backpack and sometimes a lightweight camping chair lashed to the other. Therefore, I currently use a backpack that has a water bottle holder and compression straps on both sides and utilize those to secure these extra items. I don't see a way to accomplish this with the Synik and I really only want to spend the price of that backpack if I can replace all 4 backpacks with this one.

Does anyone have a good way with Tom Bihn accessories or something else out there to accomplish this? Just a note, these items do need to be secured vertically. They are too long to turn horizontal as it would make me too wide and I'd be constantly hitting other people in the crowded aisles with them at conventions.

One last note, I would prefer solutions that do not involve any permanent modding of the bag. During my travels that don't involve the fan conventions (most of the time) I prefer the sleeker look with minimal things dangling from the bag.
    Last edited by frogger; 08-06-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what you are carrying, you might just want to stick them into the main body of the bag, sticking out the top. The heavy duty zippers are very robust and are not supposed to open on their own, so you could let stuff stick out the top, zip up to the side of the items and do it like that.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

NC, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what you are carrying, you might just want to stick them into the main body of the bag, sticking out the top. The heavy duty zippers are very robust and are not supposed to open on their own, so you could let stuff stick out the top, zip up to the side of the items and do it like that.
    Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, for this purpose it wouldn't work. When I'm using a backpack at these conventions, I need the space in the main compartment of the bag to store my purchases and those two items would fill up almost all of that capacity.
    Last edited by frogger; 08-06-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, for this purpose it wouldn't work. When I'm using a backpack at these conventions, I need the space in the main compartment of the bag to store my purchases and those two items would fill up almost all of that capacity.
    Unfortunately the Syniks may not work out for you then...there really aren't any external lash points...

https://blog.tombihn.com/synik-faq#lash
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understood well, you are looking for a way to hold stuff outside of the bag

for this I think you might be interested in the Guide Edition of either Synapse or Synik

here the way I could hold an umbrella (gift for my friend) : https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post177459
    with a lash strap

BTW lash straps (Guide Pack's / Road Buddy's / Skookum Dog's) are pretty useful

and do not forget about the Grap Handle and bottom Loop of both Synapse and Synik (Guide Edition or not) Wink
    just a Bihnion here

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the Synik might just not be the bag for you, then. There's a possibility that there may be a Guide's Edition version of the Synik, but if it's like the Guide's Edition Synapse 25 then it would only have one spot for attaching something vertically, and it sounds like you need at least two.

It does sound like the Guide's Pack might work for you, though. It has a number of spots where you could attach something vertically. I'm not sure it would fit all four of the needs you described, but it might be worth at least looking at it.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, thank you so much for the idea of taking a poster tube to Comicon... I always struggle not to crush things if I buy any posters bigger than a4 and now you've said this it seems so obvious!

As for attaching it to the outside of a Synik, I'm not sure if it transfers but I have this little hack that I use for transporting my yoga mat about on the outside of my DLBP.

I have a tiny carabiner attached to the top handle of the bag, and this clips to one of the straps on the mat. Then, I take the waist belt that comes with the DLBP (and will come with the Synik) and attach it to the waist belt points. I then wrap it around the front of the bag and around the yoga mat. I clip it and tighten it etc, and it's not fallen off so far! It does slightly fold the base of the bag because of the location of the waist strap attachments on the DLBP, but I normally have soft gym clothes inside when doing yoga so it's not a real problem for me. When I tried this on my non-Tom Bihn backpack I secured the strap to itself and wrapped it around (like in TB's new luggage strap video!) so you could do that if you don't want to fold the base/if the padded Synik base is too stiff to fold.

I've been planning on getting the wheelchair/stroller TB straps to replace the strange rope thing my yoga mat came with, but I haven't done yoga outside the house enough lately to justify this to myself Advice for attaching items to outside of the Synapse/Synik If your poster tube doesn't have built-in straps/is a cardboard tube though, you could get these for that purpose. [Edit: As @Rei says above, you could actually use lash straps for this, I just like the idea of the wheelchair straps for my mat because they are thicker]

If I get a Synik, (as I am hoping to!) I plan to get a bigger carabiner for the top handle and also one for the bottom webbing loop. That way I can attach the yoga mat straps at the top and bottom of the bag, and with the waist strap around it it'll be super secure!

I think the main issue with this method for your use is that it will block the zipper to the main compartment and the middle front pockets, so it won't be as easy for you to put non-poster purchases in the Synik. (Although, you could potentially put comics in the laptop compartment from the outside access! This works in my head, not sure if it does in practice Advice for attaching items to outside of the Synapse/Synik)

For me, I don't need to access my clothes until I'm at the yoga class so then I just take the whole thing apart. If I did put something in the main compartment I needed, I think I would set the bag down, unclip the top carabiner, rescue my thing, then clip the top carabiner again.

I'm not sure if this is useful for you or anyone else, but thank you again for the comicon poster tube idea!

NB: Please forgive the fact I took the pictures (and placed my DLBP) on my bathroom floor. It has the best lighting Advice for attaching items to outside of the Synapse/Synik

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Puncertain; 08-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.