Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Delaware.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Whale Alternative?

Long time, no see TB Forums! Sorry to disappear and only come back occasionally with questions, but I DO appreciate the help.

So I just bought the Ghost Whale in Small to (ideally) replace a 3DOC for charger, etc. for my new Mac Book Air. (Also bought the new cache, which I like a lot). Unfortunately, the GW is excellent in 2 dimensions but just barely fails to accommodate the thickness of my charger. Any recommendations for a goldilocks solution between the Small GW and a 3DOC (which is a bit overkill for what I have) for charger and (thin) hub for a Mac Book Air? Again, the lateral dimensions of the GW were awesome, but it was just barely too thin.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I'm pretty sure I'll find another use for the GW, because I do like it a lot. If it were just ever so slightly bigger, it'd work perfectly.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the Cubelet. Its has thickness similar to Mac laptop chargers, and is only 5" by 5" (maybe a touch larger)

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small 3D options that spring to mind are a Cubelet (if you don't need more than 5.1 inches in the longest dimension, or of the diagonal is enough) or a Q-kit (if 5.9 inches will cover it).

In 2D, a small or pen/pencil OP *might* be able to shift shape enough, with a better chance in a thinner/softer fabric. An A5 GWOP or medium OP should easily cover it, at the cost of being more floppy if there's nothing else to put in it.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a size 1 stuff sack to corral my laptop charging cable.

Forum Member
    Delaware.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my mini Q-kits that I've had since they came out. At one point, my wife got the small and didn't like it, but I think I might give it another try and also try the Cubelet. I find for small pouches, etc, they invariably come in hand for something. I prefer a zipper to a stuff sack for this, but I still treasure my #2 solar (I miss solar) stuff sack that I got from Moriond as part of a trade. Thanks for all the guidance!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello:

I have the half size cubelet and that works great for the MacBook Air charger; cord; and the small dongle that I have. I can also put in other cords--like the Kindle charging cord in there. it is compact. The larger QKit also works; but I find its form a bit awkward to pack compared to the cubelet.

Forum Member
    Delaware.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cubelet worked perfectly. Q-kit was slightly awkward for this, but I'm sure it'll be useful for something. Thanks, all!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the game here but another option is to pick up one of the new Gallium Nitride Anker chargers if you have the newer USB-C MacBook Airs. They’re smaller for their wattage than equivalent chargers. There’s even one that has 2 USB-C ports on it that intelligently switches between 60w output and 30w output depending on if you’re using 1 or 2 ports. Super convenient for traveling with multiple USB-C devices. And because it’s smaller, it might fit your Ghost whale.