Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikís minimalist wallet + tile?

Iím considering getting one of the TB minimalist wallets (probably Nikís #4) to try to downsize my wallet which is always having too much stuff, receipts, etc. I also want something I can hook into my Cadet so I can easily grab my bus pass.

One question: does anyone use the Nikís wallet and keep a Tile in it? Iíve had a tile slim in my wallet for years and it is great for that time when I canít find my wallet and need to run out of the house. Iím pretty sure that the tile will fit in the wallet, but a little worried that it will create a bulge. The slim is actually pretty slim (the dimensions are 54mmx54mm and 2.4mm thick.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youíd have to check the HxW dimensions but I can speak on thickness. I use a Nik #4 in Nordic Halcyon. Didnít love it at first because it seemed small. But after I started using it, it softened a bit and now I love it! Hereís my carry:

Outer pocket - Apple (titanium) card (a little thicker than plastic CC), laminated paper card (med-wgt).

Inside, clear pocket - Driverís license, 4 plastic credit cards, 2 paper cards on medium paper stock.

Inside, other pocket - 2 plastic cards (credit card thick), 1 health insurance card (heavy-wgt paper), 1 thin paper card, 2 US money bills folded into 4ths.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tile slim and it fits the Minimalist wallet. Indeed, the #4 is the version you want (and the one I also got for that very transit reason). I actually don't carry my minimalist wallet--went back to my full sized wallet after a day because I like to carry cash (and now just use the minimalist wallet as a holder for spare CCs in my desk), but it feels less prone to bulges or stretching than a regular leather wallet.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my Tile Slim died, I replaced it with one of Tile's newer "Pro" models; it has longer range and a user-replaceable battery, but it also a lot bigger and bulkier than the Slim (or the Mate).

Rather than trying to wedge it into my Minimalist Wallet #4, I just attached it via a split ring to the small webbing loop tethering point (so it is always with the wallet but not taking up any of its interior space). Seems to be working well so far.

Am guessing you shouldn't have a problem fitting the Slim inside the wallet.

Unfortunately, the Slim still doesn't offer user-replaceable batteries, so when it dies in 12 months you will have to add it to the landfill / buy a new Tile to replace it.

(This planned obsolescence has always seemed like a wasteful cash grab by Tile to me and is why I stopped using the Slim. If you crack one open, you will find a standard battery glued to the circuit board. The only reason it is not user-replaceable is that Tile doesn't care how much e-waste it adds to the world's landfills as long as it can collect another $20 from every customer every year.)

BTW, rumor has it that Apple may be on the verge of releasing its own tracker. Am delaying any more Tile purchases until I see what kind of form factor and features Apple's tracker will have.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-01-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: punctuation