Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos of materials/colors next to one another? Specifically nebulous gray & coyote

One thing that I would very much like to see is how different colors and materials look in conjunction with one another. The photos on the TB site don't help so much, unfortunately... for instance I am considering the Nik's wallet #4 in Coyote ballistic, but I am curious how it will look next to my Cadet which is in Nebulous Gray. Does anyone have this color combination (or any 2 objects/accessories/bags) and would be willing to post a photo? In general, I think this kind of resource would be super useful for people who are looking for pair items in colors that will look awesome together.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no one posts a photo, you can also contact the fine folks in Customer Service and ask for fabric swatches of particular colours/fabrics that you'd like to see.
    Photos on computers are always hard since the monitors/screens are all so different...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If no one posts a photo, you can also contact the fine folks in Customer Service and ask for fabric swatches of particular colours/fabrics that you'd like to see.
    Photos on computers are always hard since the monitors/screens are all so different...
    That's actually a good idea. They would ship them, though, right - I imagine they would charge for shipping of course and that would add another week before I can place any order. That's the problem with having only online sales and no stores (or even stores that stock the products)... you can't see things in person

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasl View Post
    That's actually a good idea. They would ship them, though, right - I imagine they would charge for shipping of course and that would add another week before I can place any order. That's the problem with having only online sales and no stores (or even stores that stock the products)... you can't see things in person
    My understanding is that they will ship you small fabric swatches for free. It will take several days or more, depending on where you are in the world...but then you'll have the colours/materials you find interesting for any future purchase considerations.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Bihn made a Synapse 25 Guide's Pack Edition in that color combination. Images will show up in a google search or you can look at the one from Australia that is currently listed on Ebay. I like the combination.
    Last edited by kjquilts; 09-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasl View Post
    They send the fabric swatches via first class mail (no charge). In the US, it takes a few days to arrive, just as though it were a letter.

The problem is, itís difficult to get a good picture of 210d Ballistic Nylon. When Nikís wallets first debuted, and quickly sold out in most colors, I posted that I found it difficult to believe that the Coyote wallets hadnít all been snapped up. The response that I got was that the photos made the color look like mustard yellow, which was not an accurate representation of the color.

By the way, I have to give a shout out to the Coyote mesh Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches. I donít usually go for the mesh options, but these are really beautiful, soft, and pliable. The threading and three-dimensional texture gives them an antique gold quality.

moriond

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the combo and use it on my Side Kick. Coyote 210 in person isn't yellow at all; it's a little bit darker than the keystrap in the photo. I think the keystrap is a closer representation of Coyote 210 than the GWOP. Think dark khaki/British Tan chinos or maybe even brown Carhartt pants. Photos of materials/colors next to one another? Specifically nebulous gray & coyote-1567806762977-1120x634-jpg

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of the slight iridescent nature of the ballistic fabrics, some of Tom Bihn's colors don't translate well in even the highest-resolution photos.

You could certainly ask for fabric swatches. Or you could get totally obsessive with Google photo searches, looking at other people's random photos in different lighting conditions.

But what I did was order a bunch of cubelets and travel cubelets in some of the colors I was on the fence about.

Here's what I learned:

Coyote. The biggest surprise for me. In most photos, it looks like "khaki" -- something that your pot-smoking uncle would have toted through the Grand Canyon in 1975. What it looks like in person is actually a deep gold with a subtle sheen -- closer to dark brown sugar. Or if you carry one (or have seen one), it's nearly the exact shade of the American Express Gold Card.

Mars Red. Another surprise. It looks like bright red in the photos. In person, it's much more subdued, with a touch of orange -- more like a deep brick red. And again, with that gorgeous subtle sheen.

Dawn. I thought this color -- which looks like periwinkle in the photos -- might be a bit too feminine for my taste. Yet another surprise. It's definitely close to the photos, but in person the color is a bit deeper. If I was naming these colors, I would have called this "dusk" rather than "dawn". It's a beautifully understated hue that just edges into the "violet" family without forcing you to commit to being a Purple Person. This blue with a touch of violet looks fantastic with jeans! And the slight sheen gives it a nice depth.

Cloud. Definitely darker in person. Do not get this color if you're hoping for "light grey"; it is without question a medium grey. This cloud is just dark enough that if you saw it in the sky you'd reach for your umbrella before leaving the house.

Grass. Green is my favorite color, so I'm usually happy with just about any shade. Grass looked to me in the photos like a vivid mint green -- almost like a McDonald's shamrock shake. I was fully expecting this minty green to look appropriate just for spring and summer. In person, it's not minty at all. It is vivid ... it is bright ... but it's more like a kelly green (which for me works all year 'round!).

Nebulous Grey. Pretty darn close to the photos. Just a shade darker in person. This is a very deep and rich grey. And again, the sheen that gives the color its depth is not captured in the photos.

I hope these descriptions help!
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 09-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    [...]

they are really helpful, and I love your comparaison Big Grin

I read somewhere someone said rusty red for Mars Red, I confirm it, and kind of little shade of orange (its name is pretty well right Wink)
    BTW, on my avatar picture, the photo is quite dark, so the coyote cords are pretty brownish
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    Because of the slight iridescent nature of the ballistic fabrics, some of Tom Bihn's colors don't translate well in even the highest-resolution photos.

You could certainly ask for fabric swatches. Or you could get totally obsessive with Google photo searches, looking at other people's random photos in different lighting conditions.

But what I did was order a bunch of cubelets and travel cubelets in some of the colors I was on the fence about.

Here's what I learned:

Coyote. The biggest surprise for me. In most photos, it looks like "khaki" -- something that your pot-smoking uncle would have toted through the Grand Canyon in 1975. What it looks like in person is actually a deep gold with a subtle sheen -- closer to dark brown sugar. Or if you carry one (or have seen one), it's nearly the exact shade of the American Express Gold Card.

Mars Red. Another surprise. It looks like bright red in the photos. In person, it's much more subdued, with a touch of orange -- more like a deep brick red. And again, with that gorgeous subtle sheen.

Dawn. I thought this color -- which looks like periwinkle in the photos -- might be a bit too feminine for my taste. Yet another surprise. It's definitely close to the photos, but in person the color is a bit deeper. If I was naming these colors, I would have called this "dusk" rather than "dawn". It's a beautifully understated hue that just edges into the "violet" family without forcing you to commit to being a Purple Person. This blue with a touch of violet looks fantastic with jeans! And the slight sheen gives it a nice depth.

Cloud. Definitely darker in person. Do not get this color if you're hoping for "light grey"; it is without question a medium grey. This cloud is just dark enough that if you saw it in the sky you'd reach for your umbrella before leaving the house.

Grass. Green is my favorite color, so I'm usually happy with just about any shade. Grass looked to me in the photos like a vivid mint green -- almost like a McDonald's shamrock shake. I was fully expecting this minty green to look appropriate just for spring and summer. In person, it's not minty at all. It is vivid ... it is bright ... but it's more like a kelly green (which for me works all year 'round!).

Nebulous Grey. Pretty darn close to the photos. Just a shade darker in person. This is a very deep and rich grey. And again, the sheen that gives the color its depth is not captured in the photos.

I have to say Cloud really surprised me, I'm glad I got a swatch to see the color in real life.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For another look at Coyote -- here's my new Pilot that just arrived!

This photo is pretty true to life; you can see it's more deep gold than tan or khaki.

Photos of materials/colors next to one another? Specifically nebulous gray & coyote-image1-jpeg

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely ask for swatches, and make sure you specify which weight of fabric you want, too. Because the same color can look different in the 1050 vs 525 vs 210. The different textures of the different weights of fabric reflect light differently. Plus, different colors of the same fabric feel a bit heavier or lighter, too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Definitely ask for swatches, and make sure you specify which weight of fabric you want, too. Because the same color can look different in the 1050 vs 525 vs 210. The different textures of the different weights of fabric reflect light differently. Plus, different colors of the same fabric feel a bit heavier or lighter, too.
    How do we go about asking for color swatches?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
    How do we go about asking for color swatches?
    Call, email, or message the fine folks at Customer Service and let them know what colours/materials/fabric weights you want.