Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop in a Freudian Slip?

I just acquired a new (to me) S19. It predated gatekeeper straps at the top of the bag, so there's no way for me to easily attach a cache (unless I sew some straps in myself). I don't toss my bag around, so I really don't need the extra protection, but my 13" laptop loose in the bag is driving me nuts because I hear it when I set the bag down.

Can a 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar (~8.375" x 12" x 0.375") fit in the back pocket of the S19 Freudian Slip? Is another FS better for this purpose? I just want my laptop off the bottom of the bag in the most space efficient way possible. Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @earth5, I’ve always just used a cache for any 13” laptop in the S19 — whether or not there are the attachments for the rails. And because I prefer the denser foam that they used in caches until around 2011, I’ll even use a horizontal cache (without rails) if it’s my 13” MacBook Air in the S19 without rail loops.

The back pocket of S19 FS doesn’t work very well for holding a laptop. First of all, the material for the Freudian Slips is foam, which can flex. The back pockets you would use in that FS are wide to match the width of the Synapse, so when you insert the laptop, it would sag outwards, because the pockets are meant to accommodate folders with depth.

About the only FS that really holds a 13” laptop well is the FS for Swift/Maker’s Bag, which has pockets exactly sized to the length of a 13” laptop in a cache, but is horizontal. (I suggested this to @haraya as a possible way of protecting her laptop in the Aeronaut 30, and also providing a tether point to one of the o-rings in that bag.)

The Freudian Slips work best when you can easily access both sides of the slip and use its organization for small items. They’re not designed to provide structural support for heavy items that would warp the foam backing. The pockets can work to hod water bottles if they’re resting on the bottom of the bag, and matched to the pocket width to hold them upright in the bottom pockets, but they’re nit designed to support your laptop.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks moriond! I just want the laptop to sit higher in the bag. May just need to get the cache and rig something up with paracord like the FS hack =)