Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A45 and Yellowstone/Grand Teton Week Hiking Trip?

Hi everyone! We leave on Wednesday for a week long trip to Yellowstone and the Grabnd Teton and I of course plan to travel with my Aeronaut 45. Anyone have any tips to reduce the amount of items to pack for this type of trip?

Iím guessing that I should pack for like 4 days and plan to do laundry? How about needing both hiking and other daytime/nighttime wear?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layers, lots of layers. This time of year will be rainy (maybe snowy) and sunny/warm, sometimes all in one day.
    Merino wool & performance synthetics are a good choice. Try to avoid cotton as it has no wet warmth, takes forever to dry, and is bulky too.
    Decent rain protection and sturdy shoes or hiking boots - probably no need for sandals this late in the year.

Unless you have something formal/fancy planned, hiking/outdoor clothes were acceptable everywhere I went during the afternoons/evenings.

Have fun!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!! How long did you go for and did you pack for the full trip or pack to do laundry? Trying to plan for potentially 2 outfits a day due to long hikes and changing afterwards?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Yellowstone as part of a xcountry driving trip, so it was a bit different in that I had a car to carry stuff. I stayed with friends, in motels, and also camped along the way. The weather was obviously pretty variable across the country so I just had layers.
    With the Tetons, I went nearby for a work trip (flew in) and stayed for a 4 day weekend, so I had work clothes + hiking/actiivty stuff in carry on bags.
    I usually adhere to the 'pack for one week' principal, where anything over that I just do some laundry. If it's only a night or two, I go really minimal but for about a week, I tend to bring the same clothes/supplies and they fit into an A30. If I'm on a plane, I'll bring a second small bag for under the seat, mostly for convenience. If I'm in a car, I'll often bring a lot of food/snacks to cut down on the eating out and I'll bring more footwear.

My clothes when traveling are basically one pair of jeans and everything else is performance synthetics and/or merino wool. The last time I checked a bag due to volume of stuff was the year I went to Alaska in February and I had a lot of stuff for the extreme cold (but the northern lights were so worth it!).
    I went to Ecuador for about two weeks (highlands + Galapagos) with an A30 + S19 and I was overpacked.

Even if you wear two sets of clothes in a day, just hang one to dry overnight (if you got rained on or sweated a bit) and wear again the next day. Usually I wear one pair of pants (often the jeans during traveling because they're the heaviest) and pack one or two more pairs of pants. Usually they are a performance synthetic that are very lightweight and pack very small. And black because it goes with everything.
    For shirts, I run warm, so several performance/synthetic short sleeves and one UV blocking long sleeve that has a collar. I can wear it by itself or over a SS shirt and it looks good enough to wear to dinner. One light zip up fleece. If it looks like rain, one performance raincoat that can pack small. It is large enough to wear over layers & the fleece, so together they work well for cold weather that isn't too extreme (YMMV, I only wear a 'real' winter coat if I'll be out in below freezing temps).
    I have both short sleeve and long sleeve merino wool shirts, so on fall/winter trips, that's all I bring along with the long sleeve collared shirt and it takes hardly any space.
    If you're going to do laundry and don't have a dryer (or don't use one, like with merino), plan to do laundry on the 3 or 4th day so that it definitely dries and you're wearing that set on the last day or two.

I usually have two pairs of shoes, one on and one packed. Merrell mocs + sandals or low waterproof hikers + sandals (unless I'm in a factory, in which case there's a huge pair of work boots too). My socks are all merino.

So unless you have a very formal/fancy thing to dress up for (certain types of work, weddings, funerals, etc) or you're flying with specialized gear (camping, climbing, fishing, equipment, etc) try to do mix & match separates/layers for 4-7 days and do laundry for anything longer.

ETA: if you've not traveled with this packing method, I highly suggest you physically lay out all your clothes ahead of time (including what you wear day of travel) and look them over. Make sure everything goes with everything and think about what you'd wear each day and make sure you have something to wear if a couple outfits are in the laundry.
    And remember, you're not going to the moon or in a submarine... if you really mess it up or something odd comes up, you can always buy something.

ETA2: jeez, and as if this wasn't a long enough post... it's totally ok to use what you have and slowly build up clothes that travel well and that you like...
    Last edited by G42; 09-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super helpful! Thanks so much for the details, really appreciated!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you hoteling? Car camping? Backpacking? Two outfits a day seems excessive to me, but I have more of a backpacker's mentality (and yes, I'm a female), even when traveling, so probably why I'm quite confused =D

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could still manage with one change of clothes per day, the change will be putting fresh clothes on after your hike to be clean for the evening. Assuming you don't do anything super physical in the evening, your evening clothes will be fine to hike in the next day.
    I know this may be a change of mindset as most of are used to putting fresh clothes on in the morning, but do consider it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the weather report for Yellowstone and the Tetons for the upcoming week. Keep in mind that the weather changes a lot! Bring quick-drying clothes and lots of layers. Have fun! Two of my favorite places to visit!!!

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...3#.XX79DJNKhPM

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...5#.XX79oZNKhPM
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW