Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?

Hey all, I am reposting this in a different forum category in hopes that this will get an answer:

Will 2 TC's fit in the back of a copilot? I know the height fits (10" copilot, 7.3" TC), but the width looks to be the question (11.8" copilot, 5.7" TC)

Pics would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Anna,

I donít have a CP so I canít help you there. Iím going to venture a guess that they should fit since theyíre soft-bodied.

If you canít find anyone here that has 2TCs and a CP, then you could live chat or email customer service and they should be able to put 2TCs in a CP to verify.

Hope this helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Anna,

I canít take a picture now, but líd say that you can manage to fit one Travel Cubelet and one 3DOrganizer Cube side by side in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot.

Since you have the Western Flyer and the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube that @bchaplin showed as being slightly wide for the Co-Pilot, you can experiment by trying to lay two Travel Cubelets (or a Travel Cubelet and another cube) side by side on top of a packed Small Western Flyer Packing Cube to estimate the fit. With the TCs in addition to the space from putting the fabric sections of each cube side by side, you have the additional space taken up by the tabs with O-rings that stick out to each side for attaching the shoulder strap.

I canít put two TCs into my (old) 1050d Ballistic Nylon Co-Pilot, but I think it may be doable in my Halcyon Co-Pilot if you make use of the fact that you might be able to push the sides out in the main compartment, which is deeper than the Travel Cubelets, if youĎre going to underfill that part of the Co-Pilot. Itís not a comfortable fit for my bags.

Hope someone can provide a picture with one of the recent Co-Pilots.

moriond

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi Anna,

Since you have the Western Flyer and the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube that @bchaplin showed as being slightly wide for the Co-Pilot, you can experiment by trying to lay two Travel Cubelets (or a Travel Cubelet and another cube) side by side on top of a packed Small Western Flyer Packing Cube to estimate the fit. With the TCs in addition to the space from putting the fabric sections of each cube side by side, you have the additional space taken up by the tabs with O-rings that stick out to each side for attaching the shoulder strap.

moriond
    Wow Moriond, thanks for your ideas, you really do your homework! Sadly, I do not have any of my WF things anymore, I converted completely over to the A30 for all my extended travel needs. I have really paired down my stash over the last year.

I think if I did not pack the TC's too full I could get them to squeeze in. Do you by any chance know what the depth of the Co-pilot back pocket only is?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the back pocket, you did mean the zip pass-through type pocket...?

Here's an original Nordic 400d halcyon/Solar CP with Viridian and Island 210 ballistic TCs in that zip pass-through pocket.

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?-img_20191001_173953-1-jpg

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?-img_20191001_174008-1-jpg

The TCs aren't completely stuffed full and as @moriond notes, they don't fit neatly side by side without some squishing. And also as noted, they steal room in the main compartment (front to back) as the pocket has no real depth. I believe it was designed as a luggage handle pass-through and/or for a magazine, book, some documents, etc - reasonably flat items.

If you'd like me to try a specific pack out in the TCs, let me know... but two TCs in that pocket isn't a configuration I'd recommend.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, to clarify, the back ZIP pocket, not the pass through pocket on the back. Or I guess it would be called the MAIN COMPARTMENT, lol! My error in describing.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    By the back pocket, you did mean the zip pass-through type pocket...?

Here's an original Nordic 400d halcyon/Solar CP with Viridian and Island 210 ballistic TCs in that zip pass-through pocket.

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?-img_20191001_173953-1-jpg

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?-img_20191001_174008-1-jpg

The TCs aren't completely stuffed full and as @moriond notes, they don't fit neatly side by side without some squishing. And also as noted, they steal room in the main compartment (front to back) as the pocket has no real depth. I believe it was designed as a luggage handle pass-through and/or for a magazine, book, some documents, etc - reasonably flat items.

If you'd like me to try a specific pack out in the TCs, let me know... but two TCs in that pocket isn't a configuration I'd recommend.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Sorry, to clarify, the back ZIP pocket, not the pass through pocket on the back. Or I guess it would be called the MAIN COMPARTMENT, lol! My error in describing.
    Yes, if you underfill the Travel Cubelets you can fit two of them in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot. This is easier to do if at least one of the TCs is either 210d Ballistic Nylon or Halcyon, since the 525d Ballistic Nylon is less yielding. So, you could carry a standard paperback in one TC (that doesnít take up the full width of that bag), for example, and fit it in next to another TC in the main compartment.

The depth of the Main compartment is about 2.5*ď, but thereís leeway to expand a bit.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, thanks, I do have 2 Halcyon TC's, one as my EDC and one for a project, neither are stuffed, so that should work perfectly! Mystery solved.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, if you underfill the Travel Cubelets you can fit two of them in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot. This is easier to do if at least one of the TCs is either 210d Ballistic Nylon or Halcyon, since the 525d Ballistic Nylon is less yielding. So, you could carry a standard paperback in one TC (that doesnít take up the full width of that bag), for example, and fit it in next to another TC in the main compartment.

The depth of the Main compartment is about 2.5*ď, but thereís leeway to expand a bit.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?

CAN 2 TC's Fit in the BACK of a COPILOT?-80b52673-8c4c-4bcc-b7e8-01a908100c55-jpeg
    This is a picture (taken quickly last night under artificial lighting) of my Steel/Solar (1050d Ballistic Nylon) Co-Pilot holding a Mars Red 525d Travel Cubelet next to a Viridian 210d Travel Cubelet (underfilled so it just holds a standard paperback). The back pockets are holding an Azalea 3D clear Organizer cube on one side and a Kindle Paperwhite in case next to a Leuchtturm1917 slim, soft cover notebook, B6 size.

ETA: This Co-Pilot is several years old, and dates from shortly after the Co-Pilot first debuted. The Ballistic Nylon is very soft (this happens with age even if the bag is not heavily used, and starts from the time the original fabric bolts are received; for most of the older 1050d Ballistic Nylon bags, Iíd say the material softens substantially after four years).

Because this is the older style reversed zippers that were used on all bags before the introduction of the Pilot in early 2013, and because the zipper sizes are also smaller than the current beefier zippers and zipper tabs being used, the bag is likely to be more flexible than any of the more recent Co-Pilots. This is one reason why a response from someone with a recent model Co-Pilot is likely to give you a more accurate impression of how the fit works. Although the angle of the picture tends to hide this, the side of the under-filled 210d Viridian TC next to the Mars Red 525d TC is crushed in slightly.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.