Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Zipper Pulls

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlesque View Post
    Thanks Darcy for the explanation. Yes that answers (and relieves) my concern just fine!
    Yay I'm glad! *makes note to self to update the language on the Cord Zipper Pulls page to explain all of that better*
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I used my Sitka Packing Cube Shoulder Bag on Sunday. A friend is teaching me some new knots for zipper pulls. This one is called a footrope knot.

Zipper Pulls-img_6807-jpg

And here's a close up of the knot.

Zipper Pulls-img_6806-jpg

As I'm learning directly from my friend, I don't have an online source to share, sorry. It's easy to do, but I haven't memorized all the steps yet, so at the moment I can only make them while my friend is supervising. If anyone has a footrope knot tutorial, please share.

My friend makes them with two different colors of 95 paracord. They can also be made with just one color.

It's a fabulous zipper pull knot: firm and solid, colorful, but light and silent. elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 03-17-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    It's a fabulous zipper pull knot: firm and solid, colorful, but light and silent. elisa
    That's a wicked cool one, thanks for sharing! I think maybe you should write us a tutorial, once you graduate from your friend's supervision Wink
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. Right now it's all I can do to follow his example. I'm not sure I'll be able to write it up. I'll ask him if he can make a video. elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I found this excellent video that demonstrates a small footrope knot.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyAM3-edvx8

The one I'm learning is longer and more complex, but easy to do once you know the steps. elisa

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    I found this excellent video that demonstrates a small footrope knot.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyAM3-edvx8

The one I'm learning is longer and more complex, but easy to do once you know the steps. elisa
    I'm a big fan of the WOE tutorials.
    Spring

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a tough decision to cut the zipper tabs on mine but I wanted to use it when I ran and the zippers were so noisy. Normally Iím a zipper tab guy but for this purpose, the pulls will do just fine!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That looks really cool! I can't bring myself to cut anything off my bag, and use reflective paracord and Matthew Walker knots. I might try it, though! Thanks for the pictures. I have a glut of TB paracord zipper pulls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally caved and clipped the zippers. With a bit of paracord attached, the silence is welcome. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseknifee View Post
    I finally caved and clipped the zippers. With a bit of paracord attached, the silence is welcome. Smilie
    Welcome to the Forums @Cheeseknifee !
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I've been using a Synapse 25 off and on for about 6 years and the itch to try something new was too great. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had reservations, but I just cut the tabs off of my A30 (it was extremely noisy). This may have been the best decision I've ever made. It is completely silent, and the zipper pulls look and work better!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post

Since cutting the metal tabs is irreversible, I've done this with the standard length pulls. Has the same effect of effectively silencing them while keeping the pulls short enough to not get snagged in the other zips (which was indeed rather annoying)
    Thanks so much for this idea! I just got my order and spent last night tying paracord into loops with MW knot and looping onto my zipper pulls!!!! I love that I can remove them and change the colors if I want Zipper Pulls
    Still not brave enough to cut the pulls off and replace...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisscosity View Post
    Thanks so much for this idea! I just got my order and spent last night tying paracord into loops with MW knot and looping onto my zipper pulls!!!! I love that I can remove them and change the colors if I want Zipper Pulls
    Still not brave enough to cut the pulls off and replace...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't unless you plan to keep the bag forever (or at least don't care what you sell it for); there's been bags I wanted on e-Bay that I won't buy solely because the tabs have been cut off. Granted, I'm only speaking for myself, but I can't imagine there isn't at least some lowering of resale value if you do.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisscosity View Post
    I just got my order and spent last night tying paracord into loops with MW knot and looping onto my zipper pulls!
    Greetings,
    Would it be possible for you to share a photo of your Matthew Walker knot zipper pulls? Do you have directions?

I like to change the zipper pull colors on occasion, so an easy to replace zipper pull is very appealing. Thank you! elisa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast