Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use the spiff kit for non-toiletries?

So I was thinking about getting a travel stuff size 3 sack as my airplane grab bag to include an iPad Mini, a Kindle, my planner, my Bose headphones and a few odds and ends that I would keep in my A45 end pocket until I board the plane, grab it, and sit down for the flight. While I was looking at the travel stuff sack pictures I noticed a flat case with handles and found out it was the spiff kit. So a question to fellow Tom Bihnians is... anyone use the spiff kit for non-toiletry related gear such as this?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a brilliant idea. Especially with the hook, you could just hook it on the seat back pocket. My concern would be that depending on the size of your headphones, they probably wouldn't fit in there, but an ipad mini and kindle should fit right in the middle, sandwiched between the pockets.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm too sleepy to look for the thread now, but I'm pretty sure someone posted about using a Spiff Kit for their art supplies. Earlier this evening I was thinking about putting some work supplies in mine--USB-C adapter, some cables, stuff like that. (Stuff I would normally put in a Snake Charmer, really.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a pack out of a Deluxe as a travel beading/crafty kit

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ravel-kit.html

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is popular for the types of things you're talking about... another option would potentially be one of the Yeoman Duffel aether packing cubes... they're discontinued but someone may be willing to trade and/or they may pop up on eBay.
    They're lightweight aether and have two loop/grab handles and came in four sizes. They have a lot of front to back depth and the grab handles, making them useful as grab & go bags

The current A30 and A45 laundry cubes have one smaller grab handle and also might be an option if you don't want to go the stuff sack route. The TSS are oval and the cubes more square...
    I use the A5 Ghost Whale to carry a journal, book, and pens, but it's not deep enough to hold big headphones too...
    Last edited by G42; 10-07-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I'm too sleepy to look for the thread now, but I'm pretty sure someone posted about using a Spiff Kit for their art supplies. Earlier this evening I was thinking about putting some work supplies in mine--USB-C adapter, some cables, stuff like that. (Stuff I would normally put in a Snake Charmer, really.)
    @Rei had some great photos up about using the Spiff Kit for art, but when I checked the post that I remembered, the links to pictures (on an external site) were no longer working:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post170745

Maybe a repost? (It was a really nice setup)

moriond

ETA: I’ll excerpt a few pictures from @Ilkyway’s Spiff Kit Deluxe - lets have a look thread
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...have-look.html

That’s the A5 sized Clairefontaine notebook in blue in front. The regular Spiff Kit can just fit a Moleskine, and would be OK with an iPad Mini, but some A5 notebooks, like The Clairefontaine shown there (that I also have) are wider.

The problem is that I don’t think these accessories have sufficient depth to accommodate your headphones.
    It might work with a (retired) Small Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cube, but that would depend on the size of your headphones.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Rei had some great photos up about using the Spiff Kit for art, but when I checked the post that I remembered, the links to pictures (on an external site) were no longer working:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post170745

Maybe a repost? (It was a really nice setup)

moriond

Thanks @moriond!
    I will try to repost them this evening (I mean this European evening so in 8-9 hours xD)

Yes I use the spiff kit for Art supplies with one or two A5 notepads and pencil pouches in (I love how modular it is)
    @Ilkyway also displayed many uses like school supplies/art/toiletery (obviously)/and more
    I-don't-remember-who uses for allergies stuff (really smart)
    and of course G42 as beany kit (I love it)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    My concern would be that depending on the size of your headphones, they probably wouldn't fit in there, but an ipad mini and kindle should fit right in the middle, sandwiched between the pockets.
    You're totally right! I looked up the dimensions and measured all my gear and all of it won't fit in the spiff kit. Another idea I had was to get one of the travel stuff sacks and store my gear in that for the plane grab bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I looked up the packing cube shoulder bag and it looks cool but a bit large for what I'm trying to do. I googled the Yeoman packing cubes and those do look awesome... <initiates eBay search notification> Smilie The A5 ghost whale would also be good but you're right, it's doesn't have the height potential to allow for the bulky Bose headphone case. If those headphones just weren't amazing...

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiew View Post
    The A5 ghost whale would also be good but you're right, it's doesn't have the height potential to allow for the bulky Bose headphone case. If those headphones just weren't amazing...
    What about one of the padded organizer pouches, then tuck that into a larger bag?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the size of your headphones case, you'd need a #3 or a #4, and then I would suggest adding a little carabiner to the cinch cord so that you could hook it on the seat pocket, because with a case in there, it won't actually fit in the pocket. :-) In this particular situation though, I think that @G42 's idea of the PCSB might be better. You can hook a carabiner on either side and then it will just nicely hang off the pocket.

Sooooooo many options. Gotta love Bihn. :-)
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine as an on-the-go workspace organizer. It gets way more use this way than it ever did for toiletries. Wink
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    What about one of the padded organizer pouches, then tuck that into a larger bag?
    That would be cool but it doesn't seem to allow for substantial height? So if I were to stack the iPad, Kindle, Bose case on top of one another that's like 5 inches "thick". Unless someone has the a Medium padded organizer pouch and can confirm that it can be stretched to that extent?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is any way that the medium organizer is going to stretch that much. You'd basically need the large one which would then steal from the length of the pouch for the additional depth, and that's not good on the zipper.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiew View Post
    That would be cool but it doesn't seem to allow for substantial height? So if I were to stack the iPad, Kindle, Bose case on top of one another that's like 5 inches "thick". Unless someone has the a Medium padded organizer pouch and can confirm that it can be stretched to that extent?
    Nope, you’re correct that all the padded pouches are “flat”. You can take a look at the pictures I posted for @UK-Limey in the 02-24-2014 thread titled iPad mini in a SuperDrive organiser pouch ?

The question was about using a padded pouch to hold an iPad Mini, Logitech keyboard, and folding Sennheiser headphones, so I simulated his required measurements to check the fit for a Medium Padded Organizer Pouch. (I used an earlier model of the Medium Padded Pouch that was available in a light exterior color called Platinum to make it easier to see). This did work for him, and he later posted pictures of his setup in another thread titled iPad Mini EDC.

I’ve only had experience with the earlier Bose QC noise-cancelling headphones before switching to the QC i20 earbuds, I’m surprised you can’t pack this smaller (if you’re willing to dispense with the case). If you really need 5” thickness then the Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes won’t work.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link!

So I have the Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones - they are amazing but quite hefty. I'm attempting to find a grab bag solution for these since I spent a pretty penny and before I can muster the courage to sell and get a more streamlined pair Smilie Even if I dispense the case, they would probably take up quite a bit of room since they don't lock into place - they just fold and take on a flat shape once forced to lol.

Looks like I'm back to the travel stuff sack #3 or the PCSB?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast