Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freudian Slip x Luminary 15

Hi everyone,

Hope those of you in the US have had a nice Thanksgiving.

Quick question for the hive: what size Freudian Slip is best-suited for the Luminary 15?

I've seen some posts mentioning the Small Cafe and others that say Medium Cafe and would be grateful if anyone can please share your experience with this.

Thanks!
    Josh

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question, Josh! I searched the forums for this exact question a few days ago and didn't end up with a definitive answer either. I'll be following this thread eagerly Big Grin
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @RosemaryOrchard - nice to know I am not the only one who needs help with this!

The truth of the matter is I've gone down a major rabbit hole and this is only one part of my predicament....(laugh)

I'm the proud owner of a Pilot and an Empire Builder.

Love them.

I already have a very large (to me, I'm 5'6") 34L backpack which I use for one-bag type of trips -- but it is admittedly a bit over-the-top for EDC use.

And so I am looking for a smaller pack that is more suitable for those times when I don't need as much space, be it as a personal item on a flight, a day out as a tourist while traveling, etc.

The short of it is that I can't decide between the new Synik 22 which looks absolutely phenomenal, and the Luminary 15.

In the end I'll just purchase them both and return whichever one doesn't fit the bill. [or keep them both, hahaha]

But I also need to get the right accessories for each, hence the question about the FS.

Thanks all,
    Josh
    Pilot (Black 1050 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon)
    Empire Builder (Black 1050 Ballistic/Steel 420 Parapack)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JoshNYC and RosemaryOrchard, yes, it's the Freudian Slip for the Medium Cafe Bag that fits best in the Luminary 15 (at least IMHO). You can see some pictures in my review of the Luminary 15.

HTH
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks @bartleby.

I don't know how I possibly missed that from your very helpful review!
    Pilot (Black 1050 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon)
    Empire Builder (Black 1050 Ballistic/Steel 420 Parapack)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNYC View Post
    Many thanks @bartleby.

I don't know how I possibly missed that from your very helpful review!
    In addition to @bartleby’s review, especially since you’re 5’6” and asking about the (different) Freudian Slips, I’m going to point you to the pictures in @anna2222’s THE LUMINARY 15 BACKPACK: A Star Is Born! thread. (She’s 5’6” tall, and has also labeled both sizes Freudian Slip that you mentioned, along with comparisons of the Luminary 15 worn and with other backpacks).

I’ll also add that you could transfer a Medium Cafe Bag FS to either Pilot or Empire Builder.

I did some checking of the Synik 22, and of the range of Freudian Slips, the one that I’d say is most optimal is one that is no longer sold — the Large Cafe Bag FS. Basically this works better for the S22 (which was released after the Large Cafe Bag and Large Cafe Bag FS we’re retired), but not as much for the Synapse 19, because they broadened the width (and depth) at the top of the Synik for the back laptop pocket. So the (retired) Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip matches that width, and extends up so that it’s top edge sits just where the two O-rings on either side of the laptop compartment sit. You can, of course, also use the Medium Cafe Freudian Slip there. It’s probably the most versatile size for moving between a large range of different bags.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I’m appending one of the pictures from @anna2222’s thread:
    Last edited by moriond; 11-30-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNYC View Post
    The short of it is that I can't decide between the new Synik 22 which looks absolutely phenomenal, and the Luminary 15.

In the end I'll just purchase them both and return whichever one doesn't fit the bill. [or keep them both, hahaha]
    Wow, we are similar! I have the Synik 22 and it's fabulous - definitely my go-to personal item for flights, and overnight trips. However, I want a Luminary 15 for my daily carry (11" iPad Pro, sometimes a 12" or 13" laptop, lunch, umbrella, etc.). So, both!

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi JoshNYC and RosemaryOrchard, yes, it's the Freudian Slip for the Medium Cafe Bag that fits best in the Luminary 15 (at least IMHO). You can see some pictures in my review of the Luminary 15.

HTH
    How convenient, as I have a MCB! Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    In addition to @bartleby’s review, especially since you’re 5’6” and asking about the (different) Freudian Slips, I’m going to point you to the pictures in @anna2222’s THE LUMINARY 15 BACKPACK: A Star Is Born! thread. (She’s 5’6” tall, and has also labeled both sizes Freudian Slip that you mentioned, along with comparisons of the Luminary 15 worn and with other backpacks).
    Very useful, thank you!
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.