Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toiletries recommendation for Synik 30

I would appreciate any advice on a toiletries bag for my Synik 30. If I understand the FAQ’s the standard spiff kit lives in the bottom front pocket. Currently that slot is occupied by my HLT2. Would the standard spiff kit fit one of the side pockets or are some other more creative options?

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When traveling domestically, I use a Side Effect which fits in the vertical water bottle pocket or the main compartment...honestly, usually the main compartment. I like it because it's a little bigger and doesn't require careful packing.
    When traveling internationally, I use a clear 3DOC in a side pocket...but have found that about 20% of the time, I'm still asked to transfer items to a 311 bag.

I don't own the spiff kit since I don't like fold-open hanging dopps, but I imagine putting it in the main compartment near the top would be a good solution if you already have one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about how the 3DOCs fit in the side pockets of the synik 30. I've been thinking about getting one of the clear for toiletries that would reside in one side pocket and another mesh 3DOC for the other side. The way the side panels on the center water bottle pocket taper in toward the center of the bag makes me think they could fit well with room to spare? I missed out on the HLT2 this time but fully intend on picking one up when they're restocked and using it in the bottom front pocket.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ServeNVolley,

The Standard Spiff Kit is too large (both too wide and too tall) to fit into the Synik 30 side pockets. You could get it into the water bottle pocket, where the extra height over the side pockets would let you fit it in, but it would push the mesh sides of the pocket all the way to the bottom zipper boundaries, seriously restrict your use of the side pockets, and probably be difficult to easily slip it in and out of that location. The bottom front pocket of the Synik 30 is recommended because, in addition to being large enough to hold the Spiff Kit (which is too large to fit in this pocket in the Synik 22), you can access the top handles of the Spiff Kit to pull it out. If you want to carry this as your toiletry Kit, you’d be better off storing it inside the main compartment of the Synik.

The Synik 22/30 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) shows the relative sizes of an Ultraviolet Halcyon Spiff Kit and a Cloud 3D Clear Organizer Cube being packed into the inside of a Synik 22.

@experimentjon is correct in saying that Side Effect will fit in the water bottle pocket (this is also true for the Synapse 25, even before the redesign of the way the water bottle mesh sides are attached around early March 2019). And some people do use the Side Effect for toiletries as outlined in Does anybody use their Side Effect as a Dopp kit/toiletry bag?

If you have Double Carabiner Clips, you can also use them inside the Synik to suspend either a Side Effect or 3D Organizer Cube from the O-rings at the top of the main compartment (either side, but probably the side opposite the back laptop compartment and above the elastic pocket would make the most sense).

Here are some relative sizes:

3DOC 1 liter
    Dimensions: 7.1" (w) x 4.3" (h) x 2" (d) / 180 (w) x 110 (h) x 50 (d)

Side effect 1.5 liter
    Dimensions: 8.7" (w) x 5.1" (h) x 2" (d) / 220 (w) x 130 (h) x 50 (d) mm

Spiff Kit, Standard 2.5 liters
    Dimensions:
    9.4” (w) x 5.7” (h) x 2.6” (d) / 240 (w) x 145 (h) x 65 (d) mm

@Bihnion36,

You can easily fit a filled 3D Organizer Cube into each side pocket of the Synik 30 (this also works for the Synik 22 because of the water bottle pocket redesign). Take a look at some of the discussion near the end of the Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well thread for pictures of how some forum members put together two 3D Organizer cubes attached with key straps or Double Carabiners to create impromptu toiletry kits.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about how the 3DOCs fit in the side pockets of the synik 30.
    I don't have a SN30 but I can tell you that a 3DOC fits easily into the side pocket of my SN22. Hope that helps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logella View Post
    I don't have a SN30 but I can tell you that a 3DOC fits easily into the side pocket of my SN22. Hope that helps.
    Agreed, I was just noting that people with the Synapse 19 will also find the 3DOC fits easily in the side pockets if they are using bags that were made after early March of this year when they switched to the same design for attaching the mesh water bottle pocket sides that they adopted for the Syniks. Before that change, fitting in the 3DOCs in the side pockets was more difficult for the smaller size Synapses.
    You can easily fit a filled 3D Organizer Cube into each side pocket of the Synik 30 (this also works for the Synik 22 because of the water bottle pocket redesign).

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 3DOC and it fits perfectly in a side pocket. For fancy trips where I need more toiletries, I just keep the liquids in the 3DOC and use a separate make-up bag in the main compartment. I haven't needed to remove my liquids from my bag since I got pre-check, but I attach it to a key strap just in case.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motions, there’s an oldie but goodie photo right there. Thanks for sharing. Moose ��
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Motions, there’s an oldie but goodie photo right there. Thanks for sharing. Moose ��
    Hi @Moose,

I’m just glad that they’ll start selling (Black) double carabiner clips again at the start of next year, and/or people will have them as part of Handy Little Thing orders so that I don’t feel guilty about posting pictures of great hacks that they can’t do!

Cheers,

moriond

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, don’t feel too guilty. A visit to the local hardware store can produce some other creative hacking devices if TB isn’t available. Also, apologies for the incorrect auto correct spelling of your name. �� Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!