Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optech "Mini Absolute" Strap Hack for a Co-Pilot

So I was wandering through my local Goodwill earlier this week and what I did I find but a Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot in perfect condition, but minus a shoulder strap. After reading through a few posts here I discovered the Optechs "mini Absolute" strap. A few keystrokes later one was on the way from Amazon.

It arrived today and it looked like a viable option, but it had heavy, clunky metal snaps. I'm a fan of Duraflex snaps, found on many of the TB straps and I had a couple for 1" webbing in my hardware stash. The snaps on the Optech strap are not sewn in place and use Delrin slides to allow mounting on bags that aren't set up for hooks. A couple minutes later I had the strap hardware arranged and on the bag. It's a good paring and the strap is just long enough for crossbody carry (I'm male and wear L/XL tops). It is 48" form eye to eye with just enough overage on the ends to give a safe margin. Feels good too.

I like the Co-Pilot. It's just big enough for a flight and day bag, with room for a micro 4/3 camera, phone, and personal items.

The Co-Pilot with the Optechs Mini S.O.S 0901262 strap
    Optech "Mini Absolute" Strap Hack for a Co-Pilot-co-pilot-1-jpg

The attachment point with the Duraflex snap
    Optech "Mini Absolute" Strap Hack for a Co-Pilot-co-pilot-2-jpg

The entire strap
    Optech "Mini Absolute" Strap Hack for a Co-Pilot-co-pilot-3-jpg

The original metal snap hook and the 1" Duraflex alternative (1.2oz vs 0.4oz each)
    Optech "Mini Absolute" Strap Hack for a Co-Pilot-co-pilot-4-jpg
    Last edited by DWSeattle; 01-09-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool, I have several mini OpTechs - I think they're the right size for the Pilot & Co-Pilot - but it never occurred to me to swap out the clips.

And woooooooot! on finding a CP at a thrift shop!!!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great! I love OP/TECH! It’s like Tom Bihn for outdoor accessories. I’ve toured their factory in Belgrade. Great company! Nice to see them get some love here. Smilie

I’m jealous of that find...how cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I had to pay $6.95US for that CP. If it was black or gray, I might have passed out right there in the aisle Smilie I have to admit, the Aubergine is growing on me. I like ratatouille too Smilie Prince would have loved it: "Purple bag, purple bag, I only wanted to see you carry-ing that purple bag!"

Forum Member
    Santa Cruz, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That's cool, I have several mini OpTechs - I think they're the right size for the Pilot & Co-Pilot - but it never occurred to me to swap out the clips.

The mini absolute strap works also well with the mini Yeoman.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean if you hate the purple it can come live with my purple bags...

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the metal hardware was a selling point. But those updated clips do look great!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWSeattle View Post
    I have to admit, the Aubergine is growing on me.
    I've always thought the shade of Aubergine that TB picked works as a great neutral - it goes really well with black/grey/charcoal and any 'shades' of colours with black in them. It's different from staid black but doesn't shout.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I always thought the metal hardware was a selling point. But those updated clips do look great!
    I've used much larger bags with Duraflex hardware and never had a problem. Not only is metal hardware heavy, the finish invariably chips and shows wear. Metal against plastic is a bad combination. Plastic doesn't corrode either. Chip the paint on metal hardware in a salt air environment and they get ugly fast.

Duraflex makes one for 1" strap with a smaller hook that would be more appropriate for nthis bag but I only had one of that size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to buy the Duraflex hardware?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seattle Fabrics has them. https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Plast...ook_p_402.html

I have the good fortune to live a few miles from the TB Mothership and Seattle Fabrics too. The REI Flagship store is between the two, not to mention Filson and Outdoor Research factory stores. Hard on my wallet though Smilie

I have bought whole shoulder straps on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07439STQ6 is an offer to two straps that have 1.5" webbing and a decent removable shoulder pad. It is sad to cut up a strap but if you have Amazon Prime and free shipping, this may be cost effective.

If you search on "Duraflex hooks" or the like there are others. The game with buying them is that the shipping is often much more than the item itself.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. What a killer find.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find!

I have also swapped to the Duraflex plastic clips on my Mini Optech. For someone who really loves bags, I can tolerate fairly little weight in them. I swapped the heavy metal clips immediately, makes a huge difference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have the Absolute Strap and Mini OpTech? I’ve been considering the mini for my CP, but I worry that the padded part of the shoulder will be thicker than I want.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crinoidea View Post
    Does anyone have the Absolute Strap and Mini OpTech? I’ve been considering the mini for my CP, but I worry that the padded part of the shoulder will be thicker than I want.

Thanks!
    Hi @Crinodea,

I'll point you to the old ORDERING THE PCSB, shoulder strap confusion thread. My post #17 has a picture that shows the relative thickness of the Absolute Strap and OpTech Mini SOS strap.

I generally use the OpTech Mini SOS strap with my Co-Pilot.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast