Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered A Synik 30 And I'm Wondering What Pouches Do You All Recommend

After a long back and forth and lengthy research time, I finally ordered a Synik 30. But now I'm wondering what pouches do you all recommend. I love how things are accessible on the front but now I'm sorta wanting some pouches to hook onto the O rings in case I open a compartment and things plop out.

Forum Member
    Bucks County PA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Double Organizer Pouch for little accessories (sim card tool, sd card adapter, dongle, wired earbuds, etc.) and just got a Super Mini Ghost Whale Pouch that fits my Jabra Elite 75T case perfectly. Guess the recommendation depends on whether you plan to use them to store flatter or bulkier items.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find this link useful if you haven't seen this FAQ

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/synik-faq#cubeme
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A perfect fit for my use: a side effect (in flight needs) and a size 1 stuff sack (computer charger cable) fit perfectly in the outside lower pocket. Like, SO perfectly. It's very satisfying. And practical.

Also, I put my clear 3DOC (311 bag) in the left outside pocket and it fits great and is quickly accessible to pull out for the TSA, attached by a key strap.

I also hang a ballistic 3DOC by its o-rings with tiny s-biners from the o-rings inside the main compartment front flap. Keep my ZTSB in it, out of the way when I don't need it, but within easy reach when I do.

You might guess this, but I had to try it to confirm:
    Flat, tall packing cubes are the answer for clothes. Some of my cubes are more cubey, which is awesome for my A30, but not for the Synik.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar to @Lia the most useful pouch to me is a 3DOC that is attached to the two O-rings of the front panel and keeps my wallet. I also use a couple of smaller pouches (see my review of the SN30).

I also added a HLT 1 for my computer accessories that I put in the lower front pocket.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drdamian View Post
    I use a Double Organizer Pouch for little accessories (sim card tool, sd card adapter, dongle, wired earbuds, etc.) and just got a Super Mini Ghost Whale Pouch that fits my Jabra Elite 75T case perfectly. Guess the recommendation depends on whether you plan to use them to store flatter or bulkier items.
    The Super Mini GWOP is PERFECT for the Jabra 75T case, I agree. Mine live in one as well, tethered inside the right side pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still packing mine out, but I can confirm the FAQ's recommendation of a Ghost Whale, size A5 in Mesh as fitting great in the bottom exterior pocket. I'll probably pick up a few more. I've put snacks, spork, and a reusable straw in mine. I'm going to try a Handy Little Thing above the interior pocket when those are restocked.

I appreciate hearing other's success in how they pack theirs.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @buttoncurler, and thanks for sharing your experience! I hope the forums keep giving you the info you're looking for. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttoncurler View Post
    I'm going to try a Handy Little Thing above the interior pocket when those are restocked.
    I'll add my welcome to the Forums! And the HLTs are back in stock now Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! I've been thinking about getting the HLT2's for my Synik30's bottom compartment

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a 3DOC, but I have found that the Side Effect works well attached to the o rings on the front panel of the Synik 30, and I appreciate the extra pocketage on the SE.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as organization, regardless of the bag, I think there are three items that Tom Bihn makes that are relatively unique in their category and better than anything else available.

1. Snake Charmer (small) - this is my most used Tom Bihn accessory for travel. I didn't think I needed a two-sided electronics organizer before I got it...but now won't travel without it.
    2. Medium clear double zippered organizer pouch - perfect for money and travel documents and other important items that should be tethered inside of a bag. I've tried the magpul daka clear medium version, but the TB one is just so much better in use.
    3. Side Effect - I have yet to find another slim small pouch that has the right proportions, exterior zipper, and just enough interior organization.

Honorable mention: Clear 3DOC. I don't love that the clear portion gets cloudy over time, and think it carries an unusually high price relative to the function and price of the Snake Charmer, but mine does see use every time I fly international.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the Ghost Whales for my Synik; I have two large ones (not the A5), one for each external side pocket. I usually keep things I *don’t* access regularly in them, so when I reach in each pocket I’m fiddling through less stuff. They hold a bunch but mostly lay flat so they’re out of the way when I don’t need them. I also have a small Snake Charmer for cables I keep in my lower pocket.

I never really grasped the idea of using a pouch that completely fills a pocket. That and the key clips just seem like extra fussy steps to me. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    Honorable mention: Clear 3DOC. I don't love that the clear portion gets cloudy over time, and think it carries an unusually high price relative to the function and price of the Snake Charmer, but mine does see use every time I fly international.
    Hi @experimentjon,

I haven't experienced the clouding of the clear portion of the 3DOC that you mention. On the off chance that this might help you, I'm going to point you to the 3DOC and aging... how does the urethane stand up over time? thread -- which includes a picture of my Indigo Clear 3DOC from 2010 that has not clouded at all. There was a batch of Urethane that they used in 2014 that had some items turn cloudy, but there's a simple fix of cleaning it with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. I'm not aware of any other problem cases. The post I gave gives links to the thread on treating that batch of accessories made with that Urethane, and I haven't seen it arise in other products.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @experimentjon,

I haven't experienced the clouding of the clear portion of the 3DOC that you mention. On the off chance that this might help you, I'm going to point you to the 3DOC and aging... how does the urethane stand up over time? thread -- which includes a picture of my Indigo Clear 3DOC from 2010 that has not clouded at all. There was a batch of Urethane that they used in 2014 that had some items turn cloudy, but there's a simple fix of cleaning it with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water. I'm not aware of any other problem cases. The post I gave gives links to the thread on treating that batch of accessories made with that Urethane, and I haven't seen it arise in other products.

HTH

moriond
    Much to my embarrassment, I went back to look at my 3DOC and a few other pouches that I have with the clear urethane window. And you're absolutely right. It was not a problem with the urethane. It was because I was using it as a dopp kit and some of the water etc had just dried there over time. I never took a good look at it before, but just assumed it was getting cloudy / scratched with use. I cleaned it and it went away (tbh, probably won't bother cleaning it again since it'll just get dirty again). But this has convinced me that I can buy more items with the clear windows and be assured of their longevity.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up! I see a Solaris clear 3DOC coming up... Smilie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast