Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Didn’t like the spiff kit because 1. It’s heavy relative to other toiletry kits, and 2. The pocket size limits what you can secure, leaving the full interior kind of jumbled. If you were to hang the kit as designed, those things that don’t fit the pockets will have to be removed.

I made the kit work better for me by sewing o-rings into the mesh. Then I could put the extras into GWs and they were secured.

YMMV
    Which kind did you try? My DSK is Steel Halcyon and I don't find it heavy at all. But I don't use the plastic containers and have cut the plastic hook off. I only ever pack things in the pockets, that's enough space for me. And I love that when you do this, it keeps a very slim profile. Unlike other wrap style toiletry kits I had in the past which quickly became brick like objects. I always find space in a bag for the Spiff Kit, even if it's the last item to get packed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the standard Spiff Kit and have used it a few times during roadtrips. However, a lot of my travel lately has been international, and it just does not work well for me on those trips. Since liquids have to come out, they usually go in a plastic bag and quite honestly I usually do not have that many other toiletries to warrant bringing the Spiff Kit in addition to the liquids bag.

So, I think your way of travel will determine how useful the Spiff Kit would be for you.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Which kind did you try? My DSK is Steel Halcyon and I don't find it heavy at all. But I don't use the plastic containers and have cut the plastic hook off. I only ever pack things in the pockets, that's enough space for me. And I love that when you do this, it keeps a very slim profile. Unlike other wrap style toiletry kits I had in the past which quickly became brick like objects. I always find space in a bag for the Spiff Kit, even if it's the last item to get packed.
    I have the standard in halcyon. I usually carry a small hair brush and pill containers that just don’t fit in the pockets. I’ve gone back to my Eagle Creek specter bag.

Sorry TB, this is the only item that just didn’t work for me. I don’t like to give negative feedback but wanted to answer the OP’s question.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I have the standard in halcyon. I usually carry a small hair brush and pill containers that just don’t fit in the pockets. I’ve gone back to my Eagle Creek specter bag.

Sorry TB, this is the only item that just didn’t work for me. I don’t like to give negative feedback but wanted to answer the OP’s question.
    Makes sense if your things don’t fit. No bag or accessory can work for everyone. I don’t think this is negative feedback when you say that it doesn’t work for you and why. Makes it easier for others to come to a decision for themselves.Smilie

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my eye on the Spiff Kit for a while now but keep talking myself out of it because they just don't have the organization I'm looking for in a toiletry kit. It's great if they work for you but I just don't think they can work for me.
    S25 | TS | WF | YD

On the hunt for an Iberian Spiff Kit and anything w/ Iberian interior Cool

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the combination of DSK and ziplock bag is an easy solution and I'm on the safe side.
    Slightly off topic, but this has me curious - I fly quite a bit (big & small airports, 3 continents), and to my knowledge I've never needed anything clear or had to show my toiletries. Though I am pre-check and global-entry, I'm frequently am not able to use it (lanes closed or not available).

In Europe I am often hassled for a bluetooth speaker, for my laptop and other electronics, for all kinds of other things; never in Asia for anything, and fairly often I have my bags searched, but, AFAIK, never for my toiletries. I use an old ballistic nylon dopp kit with a my liquids in a ziploc inside, mostly just to ensure they don't leak due to pressurization.

So I'm curious - when is the clear panel needed? Can anyone share recent specific experiences? Better to be prepared than caught out! Thanks!

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    So I'm curious - when is the clear panel needed? Can anyone share recent specific experiences? Better to be prepared than caught out! Thanks!
    Itís needed when a random TSA agent decides to enforce the rule. The rule is that all liquids must be in a bag with a clear side that isnít more than 1qt and they canít be over 100ml each, which is a little over 3 ounces. A lot of them donít actually care, but at some airports they do or sometimes youíll get a gate agent who is a real stickler for the rules. Iíve had to pour out all my body wash before because they didnít deem it acceptable thatís why I bought a bag that has a clear side for all my liquids and I use that when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic, but this has me curious - I fly quite a bit (big & small airports, 3 continents), and to my knowledge I've never needed anything clear or had to show my toiletries. Though I am pre-check and global-entry, I'm frequently am not able to use it (lanes closed or not available).

In Europe I am often hassled for a bluetooth speaker, for my laptop and other electronics, for all kinds of other things; never in Asia for anything, and fairly often I have my bags searched, but, AFAIK, never for my toiletries. I use an old ballistic nylon dopp kit with a my liquids in a ziploc inside, mostly just to ensure they don't leak due to pressurization.

All depends, do you check your toiletries or carry on? Carry-on, the TSAs regulations are 3-1-1 "No more than 3 ounces per bottle, all in a clear 1 quart bag, 1 bag per passenger" (See here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...1-liquids-rule). With Pre-Check, technically you still have to comply with the 3-1-1 rule, but since you don't have to take said bag out, you are allowed a little leeway here. If you check your toiletries, then non of this applies.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know, maybe you were lucky. Or maybe it’s just that Germans like to do things by the book. Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) They usually ask you if you have liquids in the bag when it’s your turn and when you say yes they want you to put them into the bin separately. So they see how you have packed them. I’m usually fine with leaving things like chapstick or handcream out of it though, even if it’s technically a liquid.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Standard Spiff Kit in my gym bag. I like it for the gym because at the gym I don't have a counter to put things on but I do have a hook I can hang the Spiff Kit from. The Spiff Kits don't work as well for me for travel, though--for travel, I use two 3DOCs (one clear for liquids, one mesh for everything else) and at my destination I spread out the 3DOCs on the bathroom counter.

Looking at what I wrote above makes me think I use the Spiff Kit as a sort of vertical countertop for situations where I don't have a normal horizontal countertop. Smilie
    Last edited by aedifica; 01-28-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add second paragraph

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know, maybe you were lucky. Or maybe it’s just that Germans like to do things by the book. Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) They usually ask you if you have liquids in the bag when it’s your turn and when you say yes they want you to put them into the bin separately. So they see how you have packed them. I’m usually fine with leaving things like chapstick or handcream out of it though, even if it’s technically a liquid.
    Interesting, well I'm going to find out! I've been in/out of Munich a zillion times with nary a stop, but i'm going to Berlin soon and maybe they'll dig through stuff!

but yeah, i only travel carry-on and AFAIK have never had a toiletries check, and now that I think about it, that's about the only thing that's never been checked! A few years back I had a CDG agent unpack everything but still never went into the toiletries. I carry 3 phones and various other electronics and this seems to be the thing they like to look at and poke.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a clear 3DOC for the 3oz or less wet stuff and a small Snake Charmer or mesh 3DOC for the other random toiletries and misc. things - so basically what @aedifica does.

Even though I am Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, I ALWAYS have a couple clear ziplock quart bags stashed in each travel bag, just in case TSA strictly follows the rules at a given location.
    As others have mentioned, there are airports and/or times when there are no PreCheck lanes available/open...most recently that happened to me in Yuma, AZ... laptop & all electronics out, coat off, shoes off, toiletries out... thankfully they didn't make me decant my clear 3DOC into the ziplock - but I did have it!

Last items that snagged me for secondary inspections were: big block of smoked cheese and a soy candle. Both are big dense blocks that look like pastique, especially when packed next to wires Frown
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

around 53į
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím a fan of my spiff kit. The organization works for me and each compartment severs a purpose. Lower right is face. Lower left, eyes. Main compartment everything else. Hook is great.

Like a few who already posted, Iíve never had issues with TSA. I fly quite often, carry on almost always, and have never had issues. Iíve been randomly checked on most trips and my toiletries have never been an issue.

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I have a Standard Spiff Kit in my gym bag. I like it for the gym because at the gym I don't have a counter to put things on but I do have a hook I can hang the Spiff Kit from. The Spiff Kits don't work as well for me for travel, though--for travel, I use two 3DOCs (one clear for liquids, one mesh for everything else) and at my destination I spread out the 3DOCs on the bathroom counter.

Looking at what I wrote above makes me think I use the Spiff Kit as a sort of vertical countertop for situations where I don't have a normal horizontal countertop. Smilie
    That's a great idea. I may give it a try. What is your bag linr up when you travel? Do you use TB packing cubes?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2