Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water bottle in a Daylight Backpack

Any tips for keeping a large 32oz double insulated water bottle upright in a Daylight Backpack?

I really enjoy my Luminary 15's sewn in solution -- I keep it unzipped and it is enough to keep my water bottle centered and upright. I'm thinking about picking up a DLBP in halcyon as a packable daypack and wondering if anyone has any tips for water bottle organization.

Germany
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like @b1gsky's solution, which uses a minimum of extra parts. But if the shape of your water bottle won't work for that, you could also attach a stuff sack to one of the O-rings and drop your water bottle into the stuff sack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I like @b1gsky's solution, which uses a minimum of extra parts. But if the shape of your water bottle won't work for that, you could also attach a stuff sack to one of the O-rings and drop your water bottle into the stuff sack.
    How do you attach the stuff sack to the o-ring?
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    How do you attach the stuff sack to the o-ring?
    Greetings,
    I clip a key strap to the draw-cord on the stuff sack. Attach it close to the stuff sack, so that the draw-cord closure keeps it tight. It works a treat attached to o-rings.

I also use a Stuff Sack for my water bottle in LL Bean Boat and Tote bags. They don't have o-rings, so I loop the Key Strap around a handle.

After the water bottle malfunction in my Synapse25, (read about it here https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...ravel-day.html )I've used a Stuff Sack to hold my water bottle. I also switched to a smaller size bottle, I think it's a 12 ounce bottle.

I tuck a folded paper towel or napkin in the bottom of the Stuff Sack. This serves two functions. It can be used when I need a napkin. It also will absorb any spills, limiting the amount of liquid that escapes.

Good luck! elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 02-03-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    I clip a key strap to the draw-cord on the stuff sack. Attach it close to the stuff sack, so that the draw-cord closure keeps it tight. It works a treat attached to o-rings.

I also use a Stuff Sack for my water bottle in LL Bean Boat and Tote bags. They don't have o-rings, so I loop the Key Strap around a handle.

After the water bottle malfunction in my Synapse25, (read about it here https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...ravel-day.html )I've used a Stuff Sack to hold my water bottle. I also switched to a smaller size bottle, I think it's a 12 ounce bottle.

I tuck a folded paper towel or napkin in the bottom of the Stuff Sack. This serves two functions. It can be used when I need a napkin. It also will absorb any spills, limiting the amount of liquid that escapes.

Good luck! elisa
    Thank you!
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size stuff sack do you use for your water bottle?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems dependent on your bottle, I'd check out the measurements. It's important to fit the diameter of your bottle more than the height (the stuff sack's role is to keep your bottle upright)

Thanks for the hack guys, I'll be sure to add a stuff sack to my order. Wish the DLBP would come with the same water bottle holder as the Luminary -- it doesn't even need the zipper as I keep my unzipped (which allows other items to sit behind the bottle)

Tom Bihn really sold me on a centered bottle, it just makes a lot of sense if you use a larger sized bottle!

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 32 oz. Klean Kanteen and as long as I've got other stuff in my DLBP, it just stays upright on it's own. I've usually got my laptop in there but even without it, it'll stand up on its own with a notebook, SE, snake charmer and maybe a hat/mitten combo arranged sloppily around it. I do like the idea of the paracord hack listed above.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)