Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your favorite larger accessory for wrangling smaller accessories?

For your collections of smaller accessories -- like smaller OPs, Ghost Whales, Q Kits, Cubelets, etc., what accessory do you like to use to wrangle them all together (e.g., Large OP? Snake Charmer? packing cubes?)

Or, do you always let the smaller accessories roam free?

I've generally let my smaller OPs roam freely (if somewhat tethered), but I do find on occasion that it would be helpful to have a larger accessory inside my bag for wrangling the smaller accessories into one place instead.

I'm curious to hear what others prefer to use and under what circumstances.
    Last edited by kmw; 02-06-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My smaller pouches usually get a key strap, tethered to an O ring, and put in a pocket of the larger bag.

Having a 3rd layer of packing cube to put the smaller pouches in is too much recursion for me.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    For your collections of smaller accessories -- like smaller OPs, Ghost Whales, Q Kits, Cubelets, etc., what accessory do you like to use to wrangle them all together (e.g., Large OP? Snake Charmer? packing cubes?)

Or, do you always let the smaller accessories roam free?
    I generally clip/tether (or just "tuck") my smaller organizers. One exception was when I was using a Side Kick as hybrid organizer/daypack inside a larger mostly-unorganized bag. In that case, I had a Ghost Whale inside the SK to corral a mini first aid kit.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to tether them to the orings, if not in use they get stored in pcsb along with all my other travel accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tether my small organizers to the o-rings, directly or via key strap. I think putting them into another organizer would be too much hassle to reach things. But I do have a super mini Ghost Whale clipped into my snake charmer to keep some smaller items safe (I mostly use the snake charmer at home though, it’s the landing place for all my important cables, adapters and things).

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Another o-ring fan here. Too many key straps can get tangled, so a split ring (from my old key ring) is added to my gear. The key strap is clipped to the bag, with the split on the other end. Then I can clip up to 8 Pouches or Whales or whatever to the split ring. If I need to add more, I can always use a larger split ring.

Did that make sense? I can add a photo tomorrow if it's not clear. Just let me know. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Another o-ring fan here. Too many key straps can get tangled, so a split ring (from my old key ring) is added to my gear. The key strap is clipped to the bag, with the split on the other end. Then I can clip up to 8 Pouches or Whales or whatever to the split ring. If I need to add more, I can always use a larger split ring.

Did that make sense? I can add a photo tomorrow if it's not clear. Just let me know. elisa
    Oooh, I think I get you, AlaskaGirl. Split ring, as in similar to what's inside a 3-ring binder, yes?

I have one of those lying around holding hair ties, but I'd never thought to use that inside a bag. Going to have to think about that some more.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't even have to be a split ring. A closed ring clipped to a keystrap can also successfully have the clips snapped to the ring.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Medium DOP with a Mini COP, COW, and mini Ghost Whale for a Receipts/Mail/Coupon/Checkbook/Coin organizer. It lives in my vehicle, moves to office on office days. Very handy to know where everything is or where it should be. All organizers have snaps cut off to allow flatter profile.

Medium DOP back pocket - spare envelope, mailing address labels, loose receipts, mail (fits US letter size and half folded 8.5x11 paper)
    Medium DOP front pocket - COW, Mini Ghost Whale, Mini OP, Checkbook
    COW- coupons, membership cards, gift cards
    Mini COP- coins
    Checkbook - checks, deposit slips, stamps
    Mini GW - coins (fit neatly next to the mini OP and COW, just got it, not needed here, but trying it out)

Never thought I would use 50 dollars of organizers for these items, much less any organizer. Very happy this in my setup for past year now. A small OP does fit in front pocket of medium DOP, would fit US currency flat, unfortunately it does not fit a pad of checks so nothing to replace my checkbook cover yet.
    My truck also has a medium clear COP, for flashlight, multi tool, pocket knife, mini first aid kit in mini OP, toothbrush, toothpaste, tums, Kleenex, and other little misc. truck items. Grab and Go if needed.
    All OP's are loose packed in console or glove compartment. OP's in medium DOP are loose, untethered.

For travel, medium OP fits nice in front pocket of PCSB, cubelet fit in little front pocket of S25.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is brilliant! I often add a split key-ring to the internal O-rings, to make room for more keystraps, but your solution is great because if one needs to transfer accessories to another bag, you just unclip the one keystrap. Thanks - I will try this out!!

Greetings,

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These types of rings also work well - called 'binder rings' - they come in different sizes & colours. I think they're easier to open/apply, but not quite as secure as threading a split ring, but it depends on what you're using them for. I think they're fine for inside a bag

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Leona...roducts&sr=1-6
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for tethering the smaller organizers directly to the O-rings. But I also use a number of small organizers in my Freudian Slips (best TB organizers ever!) e.g. for storing AC-adapters or other notebook accessories.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Another o-ring fan here. Too many key straps can get tangled, so a split ring (from my old key ring) is added to my gear.
    Excellent idea. I'm struggling with too many key straps right now and am going to try out your idea.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of my EDC Organizer Pouches used to be tethered to their own Short Key Strap which was clipped to a Double Carabiner affixed to the side O-rings of my SBC.

After fumbling, one time to many, to get the right Pouch with major Key Strap confusion, I complained on this forum, in search of a solution.
    I had grabbed one of the OP without a Key Strap and let go, it made some noise and I picked it up, on the floor. If it had been one of the Pouch with light stuff in it, I might have lost it.

A couple of weeks later, Darcy announced the Travel Cubelet, I rushed to set up an email reminder, and started looking at the TB pages and make a list of other items I might want in Dawn. I think it was the first run of Dawn, which was supposed to be a limited edition color, so this was my Dawn order.

Sometime later, my Dawn order arrived, I was instantly taken by the color in real life and the "Mini Cafe Bag/Dressy 3D OC" look and organization of the Travel Cubelet.

All my Organizer Pouches are housed in it, the ones that are used the most are tethered to the O-ring inside, the Travel Cubelet is secured with the Double Carabiner to one of the SBC side O-ring and the 3D OC to the other side O-ring making my SBC a slick and very organized minimalist PLO (Purse Like Object).

The TC frees the front zippered pocket of the SBC for other essential things.

If you need to keep together multiple smaller OP's, Ghost Whales and Q-Kits, the Cubelet would work the same way.

One of the feature I love the most in both the Cubelet and the TC is the strap and O-rings that hold it, so they can become instant ultra minimalist PLOs or accessories inside a much bigger TB bag like the Swift, the Pop Tote and the Shop Bag, if the event or gathering attended is too dressy for the SCB.

By contrast, during travel and casual public transportation trips, they can also become accessories inside an EDC or Travel Backpack and back into mini PLOs mode if needed.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-07-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I use a Medium DOP with a Mini COP, COW, and mini Ghost Whale for a Receipts/Mail/Coupon/Checkbook/Coin organizer. It lives in my vehicle, moves to office on office days. Very handy to know where everything is or where it should be. All organizers have snaps cut off to allow flatter profile.

Never thought I would use 50 dollars of organizers for these items, much less any organizer. Very happy this in my setup for past year now. A small OP does fit in front pocket of medium DOP, would fit US currency flat, unfortunately it does not fit a pad of checks so nothing to replace my checkbook cover yet.
    My truck also has a medium clear COP, for flashlight, multi tool, pocket knife, mini first aid kit in mini OP, toothbrush, toothpaste, tums, Kleenex, and other little misc. truck items. Grab and Go if needed.
    All OP's are loose packed in console or glove compartment. OP's in medium DOP are loose, untethered.
    Great ideas, organicfarmer. My glove compartment is one of those weirdo triangles where, when closed, the bottom is smaller than the top. I hadn't even thought about it, but an OP in there would be great for corraling small items get shifted around.

And I hear you: I always cringe a little when spending money on organization needs. I try not to spend unnecessarily and reuse as many existing things as possible: e.g., the Travel-Tray equivalents on either side of the living room couch that my husband and I use daily are actually the top and bottom half of an old (sleek black and impressively sturdy) Blackberry box! But sometimes a small financial investment can save big in terms of time, mental energy, and error prevention, so while I hate spending for it, I'm always glad later that I did and wonder what took me so long.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    These types of rings also work well - called 'binder rings' - they come in different sizes & colours. I think they're easier to open/apply, but not quite as secure as threading a split ring, but it depends on what you're using them for. I think they're fine for inside a bag

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Leona...roducts&sr=1-6
    Thanks, G42. That's what I was picturing (incorrectly) when AlaskaGirl said split ring. Now that I've got those sorted in my brain, I'm liking both ideas for different purposes.

Thanks again also to @AlaskaGirl: great idea as an alternative to too many keystraps, especially since I'm often accessing different OPs on the move or semi-blindly (like in a tight space on public transportation).

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Sometime later, my Dawn order arrived, I was instantly taken by the color in real life and the "Mini Cafe Bag/Dressy 3D OC" look and organization of the Travel Cubelet.

All my Organizer Pouches are housed in it, the ones that are used the most are tethered to the O-ring inside, the Travel Cubelet is secured with the Double Carabiner to one of the SBC side O-ring and the 3D OC to the other side O-ring making my SBC a slick and very organized minimalist PLO (Purse Like Object).

The TC frees the front zippered pocket of the SBC for other essential things.

If you need to keep together multiple smaller OP's, Ghost Whales and Q-Kits, the Cubelet would work the same way.
    Thanks, @backpack. I dismissed the TC for my purposes a while back as being more than I need, but looking at specs again, it just might work for me. It is still more than I need in some ways, but also like a beefier sideways 3DOC, which could come in handy. (A 3DOC with zipper on the side instead would be ideal (minimalist TC), but that's just getting greedy.) Thanks for your experiences!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast