Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grocery Load Out: Which fits the most and is the most comfortable to carry?

Hi! Iím moving soon (hopefully), and though my new place is just a few neighborhoods away from where I am now, Iíll be moving to a third-floor walkup with a bit of a longer walk to the store. Once social distancing restrictions are lifted and itís safe (relatively speaking) to go out in the world again, Iíd like to find a grocery bag that can hold what I need and not kill my shoulder on the way back. I have an open-top large shop bag which Iíll carry on one shoulder ó what would you recommend for the other? Point of note: Iím 5í8Ē

Any and all thoughts/recs will be very welcome! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick up truck. Good for groceries that need to be segregated, either because they'll damage other goods (like heavy glass bottles) or be damaged by other goods (like more delicate produce). Its small enough that even with a good amount of food, it should still be carry-able.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

NYC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    I’d like to find a grocery bag that can hold what I need and not kill my shoulder on the way back.
    I'd recommend a that your second bag be backpack if you're going to be walking up 3 flights of stairs. TB backpack straps don't kill shoulders. They also won't fall off of your shoulders at the worst possible moment like other bag straps tend to do.
    Spring

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can track one down, Smart Alec. Best grocery getter backpack.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you thank you!!! I do indeed have a Smart Alec ó I donít know why I didnít even think to use it! ó so Iíll try this combo first. But the Pickup Truck is going on my wishlist. Grocery Load Out: Which fits the most and is the most comfortable to carry?Grocery Load Out: Which fits the most and is the most comfortable to carry?

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the volume and type of stuff you buy, you might want the heavier/sturdier items in the SA and then lighter/fragile items (like loose produce, eggs, etc) in a Truck or PickUp Truck
    Not that I'm enabling or anything
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don‘t own a car anymore, and do all my shopping on foot. I also live on the 5th floor (US, fourth floor here). I love my Tom Binh grocery bags, but for the heavy stuff, I always use a backpack. If I know I‘ll be buying a lot, I take a mountaineering pack with a good hip belt. The SA is a good choice, too.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nth-ing the backpack, especially with a walkup.

In case you hadn't noticed it's there, though, @blackbird , there's a dimensions/specs/volumes guide on the main site that's handy for comparisons: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/dimensions-specs