Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Key Strap Split Rings

As I was once again adding to an ever longer order (I only have myself to blame)I noticed the key straps have three options now, snaphook/snaphook, snaphook/o-ring, and snaphook/split key ring, did I miss the announcement of that addition? My obsession with TB mean I rarely do, but maybe I slept walked through that one. In any case I’ve ordered a few and am super happy about the new option. Debating if I “need” more Key Strap Split Rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good catch! It's not even mentioned in the product description yet, so must be a very recent addition indeed.
    EDC: Synapse 19 (Ballistic Black/Wasabi) and Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV). Shopping & family stuff: Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (Northwest Sky Halcyon), Daylight Backpack (Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky). Travel: Western Flyer (Steel/Island), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, the split ring/snap hooks have been around since sometime last year. :-)
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @melminimalist and @yvandermeer ,

The split ring keystraps actually debuted in November 2018
    I’ll point you to my post [#91, dated 11-19-2018] in the middle of the November Debut Thread that quoted Darcy’s reply that the split-ring keystraps were debuting, but had gotten a little lost in the slew of other debut items). I also posted a picture just after:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Since we now have the Snaphook/Split O-rings officially announced, I can post a picture:

This is the Red Snaphook with Split O-ring end attached to a Preon flashlight and an Olive Cubelet. (Kind of makes you think of Christmas, right?) I was fooling around with the Coyote Wallet, too, but it's just a spectator

Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    As I was once again adding to an ever longer order (I only have myself to blame)I noticed the key straps have three options now, snaphook/snaphook, snaphook/o-ring, and snaphook/split key ring, did I miss the announcement of that addition? My obsession with TB mean I rarely do, but maybe I slept walked through that one. In any case I’ve ordered a few and am super happy about the new option. Debating if I “need” more Key Strap Split Rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by yvandermeer View Post
    Good catch! It's not even mentioned in the product description yet, so must be a very recent addition indeed.
    They’ve since been discussed in a few other forum threads.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I’m not quite sure why they left Wasabi out of the original listing, but it’s also an option for both 8” and 16” sizes
    Last edited by moriond; 05-04-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to add to my pre-order....

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ETA: I’m not quite sure why they left Wasabi out of the original listing, but it’s also an option for both 8” and 16” sizes
    The short answer is a little embarassing, but boils down to "I forgot" and didn't notice it for like... a month. Tengu

Chalk it up to my mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably a dumb question, but what's the difference in use between a split ring and an o-ring?

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but what's the difference in use between a split ring and an o-ring?
    O-ring: solid plastic ring
    Split ring: metal ring that can be opened (split) so things can be hung from it, like keys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    O-ring: solid plastic ring
    Split ring: metal ring that can be opened (split) so things can be hung from it, like keys.
    I see. I didn't realize they could be opened. So keys can be attached directly to the key strap without a keychain? I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of that is versus just hanging a set of keys from a snaphook/snaphook key strap?

Edit: asking because I'm trying to decide which kind to buy

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I didn't realize they could be opened. So keys can be attached directly to the key strap without a keychain? I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of that is versus just hanging a set of keys from a snaphook/snaphook key strap?

It's a matter of personal preference. To me the split ring is more compact than a snaphook. For example, ever since the lockdowns began my everyday carry (on the rare occasions when I leave my neighborhood) is an Everyday Cubelet or Side Effect. Tethering my wallet or a GWOP with a split ring keystrap means a little less bulk in those two small bags. Before the lockdowns when my everyday carry was my Synapse, Side Kick, or Luminary a keystrap with a snaphook was ok because of the much larger volume in those bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, in the Christmas colored picture that I posted (Olive Cubelet plus Iberian 8” snap hook/ split ring key strap), the small Preon flashlight is attached directly onto the split ring. The O-ring ends on key straps are just like the black O-rings on your bags, or the O-ring on the Cubelet that the snap hook end of that keystrap is attached to. If you’re attaching multiple snap hooks to a ring — the way that some people attach a few mini pouches or clear organizer wallet to a Handle Loop w/O-ring to make a wristle, then the thickerO-ring end works better. If you only want the option of attaching one extra item, like that flashlight, and maybe another snap hook to that ring, then the split ring end works well for either function. it’s slightly larger in diameter, but thinner, so with a lot of snap hooks attached, they won’t slide as easily around on the split ring as they would on an O-ring.

HTH

moriond

ETA: BTW, although you could slide the loop of a Nik’s Wallet onto the Split ring end, that tighter metal spacing of the split ring would put more wear and tear of the fabric loop.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-25-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    It's a matter of personal preference. To me the split ring is more compact than a snaphook. For example, ever since the lockdowns began my everyday carry (on the rare occasions when I leave my neighborhood) is an Everyday Cubelet or Side Effect. Tethering my wallet or a GWOP with a split ring keystrap means a little less bulk in those two small bags. Before the lockdowns when my everyday carry was my Synapse, Side Kick, or Luminary a keystrap with a snaphook was ok because of the much larger volume in those bags.
    Yes, in the Christmas colored picture that I posted (Olive Cubelet plus Iberian 8” snap hook/ split ring key strap), the small Preon flashlight is attached directly onto the split ring. The O-ring ends on key straps are just like the black O-rings on your bags, or the O-ring on the Cubelet that the snap hook end of that keystrap is attached to. If you’re attaching multiple snap hooks to a ring — the way that some people attach a few mini pouches or clear organizer wallet to a Handle Loop w/O-ring to make a wristle, then the thickerO-ring end works better. If you only want the option of attaching one extra item, like that flashlight, and maybe another snap hook to that ring, then the split ring end works well for either function. it’s slightly larger in diameter, but thinner, so with a lot of snap hooks attached, they won’t slide as easily around on the split ring as they would on an O-ring.

HTH

moriond

ETA: BTW, although you could slide the loop of a Nik’s Wallet onto the Split ring end, that tighter metal spacing of the split ring would put more wear and tear of the fabric loop.
    Thank you! All of this was incredibly helpful!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should amend this to say that if you leave this permanently attached, it works fine. It’s mainly if you have to move the fabric loop on and off the Split ring that you get more wear and tear. The reason that the Nik’s Wallet was in the photo, from the time that the wallets first debuted without the built-in loop option, was that I’d been experimenting with various ways to attach it to the split ring key strap, exactly as @Shortie suggested. Also, the very recent debut of Small size Swivel Double Carabiners gives you a lot more options. The small sizes are really small. I’m using these for some of the more compact usage schemes that @Shortie mentions, for example, if I hook this into the small O-ring (not designed for this), that the snap hook of an A5 Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch is attached to at the upper left corner, I can drop additional items into that pouch and attach to the swivel Carabiners while zipping the GWOP nearly closed. Or if I want more flexibility in how I add GWOPs to a Handy Little Thing and move the pouch around to the best flat pack position, I use the small size attached to the inside O-rings. (Yes, I should post more pictures).

Bottom line, I would try the split ring key strap if you haven’t used one before. And there are lots of other great new accessories.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-25-2020 at 02:33 PM.