Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Must have" accessories for the Synik 22L and 30L

For those of you who have the Synik backpacks (or even the Synapse), what "must have" accessories should I get to go with the pack? We're talking organizer pouches, maybe smaller bags to insert or use within, etc. And if you have recommendations, can you indicate which size you think is best? I have a number of TB accessories already, but of course, you can never have enough! Wink

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Synapse 19, which I use for EDC. I'm very happy with my accessory setup, so happy to share it:

- Two size 1 travel stuff sacks (TSS), one in each side pocket and attached to an 8-inch key strap. These are a perfect fit IMO. In one I keep my Ricoh GR compact camera (folded inside a Domke wrap for protection), the other I use for random small items.
    - Mini Q-Kit in a side compartment, attached directly to the O-ring. I find the shape of the Q-kit is perfect for positioning it in the very top of a side pocket (in my case, directly above the size 1 TSS). I use mine to store a travel-sized bottle of contact lens fluid, spare contacts and some other emergency items.
    - Super Mini Ghost Whale pouch, also in a side compartment and attached directly to the O-ring. This holds my Airpods Pro case.
    - TSS size 2, holding my lunch box (EcoLunchBox Blue Water Bento Splash Box), in the bottom front pocket. The TSS is mostly protection against spills and I find it also helps slides the lunch box into the pocket (which is a pretty tight fit).
    - A Western Flyer packing cube, size Small. I believe this to be the perfect size and depth for the bottom of the main compartment. I've used mine all winter to carry a rain jacket, pants and/or a light sweater (all for the ever changing weather here in the Netherlands).

All this is quite specific to what I carry, but I hope it gives you some useful ideas!

ETA: I forgot all about my Side Effect! It holds my cables & small electronics and sits in the main compartment, on top of the Western Flyer packing cube. Because the Synapse is more narrow at the top than bottom, I find the combination of the WF packing cube at the bottom with SE on top is a good use of the available space. Oh and for completeness: my 13" laptop (MBP) goes sits inside the large elastic "pouch" (not sure what it's called) in the main compartment. I use a Waterfield Designs "Dash Sleeve" for this (the only non-TB item in my EDC, haha) which I love for the smoothness with which the laptop slides in and out, one handed even if need be.
    Last edited by yvandermeer; 05-06-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    EDC: Synapse 19 (Ballistic Black/Wasabi) and Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV). Shopping & family stuff: Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (Northwest Sky Halcyon), Daylight Backpack (Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky). Travel: Western Flyer (Steel/Island), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote).

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Organizer Pouch in medium and OP in large (or the DOP) is a great pouch for essential travel documents and fits great in the laptop compartment. The medium and large are respectively to fit an A5 notebook and a little extra, or sized to fit an A4 notebook and a little extra.

The small Ghost Whale is a great pouch for sunglasses, a mid-sized USB battery and cables, or a wall wart and cables. It clips nicely into the back of one of the side pockets. I also like the Small Q-Kit as a 3D alternative to the GW, as it fills the S19 and S22 side pocket almost completely with room for a Larabar or three.

I use the mini GW as a tiny FAK. I keep earplugs, various medications, and chapstick in there. It fits perfectly into the small top zipper pocket on any Synapse or Synik.

The clear 3DOC is ideal for a 3-1-1 bag. The halcyon 3DOC or Side Effect are ideal as an in-flight personals bag (eye mask, earphones, phone cable, charger). Both of those could fit in the bottom "chin" pocket, but I prefer to pack them flat in the main compartment.

I like the Freudian Slip if you need to add more organization and pockets, but I never travel with it. I only use it when I need better organization as a daily carry.

I have tried really hard to get on with the Small Snake Charmer but it just doesn't fit into the S19/S22 that well. Fully stuffed, it takes up the entire chin pocket and is hard to get in and out. If you can resist the urge to fill it completely, it's amazing as a cable and charger organizer.

For the S25/S30, the A30 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack is ideal for the chin pocket, to keep clean/dirty underwear, undershirts, and socks corralled.

As for non-Bihn stuff, I find the set of Eagle Creek Specter Compression cubes to be invaluable for travel. The medium Clean/Dirty Specter cube is also an excellent item.

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably going to use my HLT2 for my tech pouch-it's big enough to hold my laptop charger and other cables. I've been using my clear 3DOC for a few months now and it works perfectly for a toiletries bag. I put a couple of medium double swivel carabiners on it so I can hang it in the main compartment of my Synapse. I've also got a super mini GWOP for loose change that I put in the small top pocket, and a pocket pouch on a keystrap that's currently holding my ID card for work-the idea was that I could just have that in my bag so I can scan in without having to rummage through all my pockets, but I haven't gotten to test that yet because of the quarantine.

I'd also like to second the suggestion of Eagle Creek Specter cubes, I have a set of the regular non-compression ones and also the medium clean/dirty cube that carrot mentioned. I can fit a fully packed Medium cube into my Synapse 25, and then put my clear 3DOC on top of that and if I'm not bringing a laptop, I can squeeze in a Small as well. The XS size also fits perfectly into one of the side pockets.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My small Q-kit (gum, lip balm, inhaler, earphones, iphone charger) w strap fits nicely in the side pockets with room to spare. The Q-kit's shape fits like glove in the side pockets IMO, no waste space. A small mesh ghost whale pouch (fountain pens and wallet) w a strap lies nicely against the back side of the side pockets as well, allowing plenty of room to stash things in front if needed. The small mesh GW is a great pouch for your sunglasses too. A mini Q-kit in the bottom pocket holds the bag's rolled up waist straps so it's there for me should i feel the need to use it. No dangly mess! It hides in the corner of the bottom pocket, I hardly notice it and takes no space at all. So depending on what your EDC/travel carry is, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Q-kit & GW lines.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel tray or 3DOC fit well in side pocket of latest model S19 and SN22. These models have larger side pockets than earlier versions of the S19.
    Side effect goes in the chin pocket.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Must have" accessories for the Synik 22L and 30L

synapse 25 user here:
    Main compartment-
    large A30 packing cube
    small snake charmer
    A30 laundry stuff sack (as shoe bag/dirty laundry)

Right hand pocket-
    small gw for sunglasses
    super mini gw first aid kit

Smallest front pocket (the one infront of the water bottle pocket)-
    small halcyon pouch for passport

Water bottle pocket-
    3doc with toiletries

I love the travel tray for at-home organization, so I would say that is a must, but I donít travel with it.

edited to add: forgot about my side effect attached to the waist strap, its my snack/in-flight bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 05-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @melminimalist . I do love the Travel Tray at home, and have traveled with it fairly extensively, but I don't strongly feel like it is a must-have as a one-bagger. I do pack it if I have space for it.

It's also awkward because a full Travel Tray, even the smaller size, has no natural place in a Synapse/Synik to stash it.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    a pocket pouch on a keystrap that's currently holding my ID card for work-the idea was that I could just have that in my bag so I can scan in without having to rummage through all my pockets
    What?! You don't just turn around and rub your bag up and down and side to side on the scanner until it scans/beeps?

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    What?! You don't just turn around and rub your bag up and down and side to side on the scanner until it scans/beeps?
    Honestly, it works pretty well. I usually just smack my wallet by the scanner and it lets me in.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Mini Q-Kit in a side compartment, attached directly to the O-ring. I find the shape of the Q-kit is perfect for positioning it in the very top of a side pocket (in my case, directly above the size 1 TSS). I use mine to store a travel-sized bottle of contact lens fluid, spare contacts and some other emergency items.

I agree about the Q-kit; I have come to really love these... just wish I could always get the color I want.

I have a Synapse 25 as my EDC currently (thinking about changing it up for an L15, as I've found the uber-organization with pouches makes the larger size unnecessary), do not carry any electronics to/from my office currently (I'm in healthcare). I have my battery pack and all cords with room to spare in the small size Q-kit (it goes into the chin pocket with a bunch of other stuff). I have my sony wireless earbud case and small cord in one mini Q-kit and my petzl aktic core headlamp in another. I also use the small Q-kit for all the little things that would otherwise get lost in the larger pockets, or stuff I want quick access to: lip balm, hand sanitizer, eyedrops, poop drops, hair ties, hand lotion, etc... the "small" is so roomy and opens wide to see all contents. This goes nicely into one of the side pockets with lots of room to spare for pens, penlight, backscratcher. I think this 3D design is my favorite; I have recently reorganized and found them a lot more useful than the flatter organizer pouches. That clear window is "sticky" against other things in my pockets. I ordered some GWs but I might reconsider as I wait for delivery. NAH. I don't have any of those so I will try them out.

Have fun shopping, organizing, reorganizing and getting ready to resume living safely!
    Warmest aloha!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody!

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghost whales in mini or small are my most favorite go-to organizer for any pack. The Q-kits are great for do dads that have a more bulk than comfortably fits into the GW. I also use a medium halcyon organizer for my Bose QC30 earbuds. They're a style with a neck collar. The Bose case takes up too much space. I put the earbuds into the organizer and slip it into the S22 laptop compartment.

When I'm traveling and need to carry some electronic peripherals like wall plugs and USB cables, I use a cubelet.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.