Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Staying Safe

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Staying Safe

    I have a bit of necessary travel coming up, and I have found that the DOP makes a great Pandemic Pouch. Everything in one place, and it lays in my CB nice and flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images Staying Safe-img_0820-jpg  Staying Safe-img_0821-jpg 

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, very nice! Is that the small or the medium DOP?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

    I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medium, so there is room to spare.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. I set up my small DOP with mask, gloves, hand sanitizer and a couple wipes in a zip bag. Mask by itself in the front and everything else in the back section. It fits perfectly in my everyday cubelet.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great idea! thanks for sharing this. I have a quick question though and this could be for any organiser pouch really but when storing a mask in it, is it sufficient to wipe it later with an alcoholic wipe?

    How are people cleaning the pouches which you're keeping your masks in? Or am I the only one being paranoid about that?!
    I started to use a mini ghost whale organizer pouch to store mine and a small clear organiser pouch.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator bartleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Share
    Location: Germany / Hobbies: Photography & Guitars
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    I have a quick question though and this could be for any organiser pouch really but when storing a mask in it, is it sufficient to wipe it later with an alcoholic wipe?

    How are people cleaning the pouches which you're keeping your masks in? Or am I the only one being paranoid about that?!
    I started to use a mini ghost whale organizer pouch to store mine and a small clear organiser pouch.

    Thanks!
    Hi @TorontoSS ,

    I don't think that you're the only one wondering how to store masks and how to clean the repository they are stored in. Regarding TB Pouches and Bags there is this blogpost on "How To Clean — and Disinfect — Your TOM BIHN Bag" where you'll find some useful information that might answer your question. As far as I know (and as it is mentioned in the blogpost) it is very important that the alcoholic solution you use has a minimum concentration of 70% alcohol. Furthermore, it seems that wiping, i.e. mechanical cleaning is more effective or even critical compared to using a spray and let it dry afterwards.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Hi @TorontoSS ,

    I don't think that you're the only one wondering how to store masks and how to clean the repository they are stored in. Regarding TB Pouches and Bags there is this blogpost on "How To Clean — and Disinfect — Your TOM BIHN Bag" where you'll find some useful information that might answer your question. As far as I know (and as it is mentioned in the blogpost) it is very important that the alcoholic solution you use has a minimum concentration of 70% alcohol. Furthermore, it seems that wiping, i.e. mechanical cleaning is more effective or even critical compared to using a spray and let it dry afterwards.
    That's super helpful - thanks. Actually I had seen this blog post. It makes perfect sense. I didn't know that actual wiping is better than just spraying. I do have alcoholic wipes which I've been using and they have a good amount of alcohol. Apparently too much (such as 99%) isn't good either because the alcohol evaporates too quickly. Too little doesn't clean. 70% is a sweet spot.

    Thank you so much!

  8. #8
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,693
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    That's super helpful - thanks. Actually I had seen this blog post. It makes perfect sense. I didn't know that actual wiping is better than just spraying. I do have alcoholic wipes which I've been using and they have a good amount of alcohol. Apparently too much (such as 99%) isn't good either because the alcohol evaporates too quickly. Too little doesn't clean. 70% is a sweet spot.

    Thank you so much!
    You could try carrying Alcohol Prep Pads, if you find them in stock. These are the small wipes that are usually used to clean off your skin just before you receive an injection, or before your blood is drawn. They’re usually 70% isopropyl alcohol, and are a convenient size to wipe down a Super-Mini or Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch, if you’re using one of these to carry your masks. They had some of these in my pharmacy just recently:
    https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-297584

    HTH

    moriond

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You could try carrying Alcohol Prep Pads, if you find them in stock. These are the small wipes that are usually used to clean off your skin just before you receive an injection, or before your blood is drawn. They’re usually 70% isopropyl alcohol, and are a convenient size to wipe down a Super-Mini or Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch, if you’re using one of these to carry your masks. They had some of these in my pharmacy just recently:
    https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-297584

    HTH

    moriond
    Thanks moriond, that’s super helpful. I actually have a bunch of those. Lying around the house (I went through some ivf rounds). So I can just use those, thanks!

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been using my Small organizer pouch clipped to the outside of my Icon as a fast access pouch for a pocket-sized hand sanitizer, pocket-sized lotion (necessary when you’re using so much hand sanitizer!) and a spare clean mask. (I put a D-ring on my Icon’s strap to hold it. I sewed it in lightly...enough to keep the D-ring from sliding around.)

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My big problem with the Tom Bihn organizers for PPE is that nearly all of the pouches and such I have don't have big enough clips to be able to clip on the outside of the bag. Sure, I can clip onto a zipper, but I'd like to be able to clip onto shoulder strap mounting points, or even have a type of attachment that can secure to the webbing of a shoulder strap.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoSS View Post
    That's super helpful - thanks. Actually I had seen this blog post. It makes perfect sense. I didn't know that actual wiping is better than just spraying. I do have alcoholic wipes which I've been using and they have a good amount of alcohol. Apparently too much (such as 99%) isn't good either because the alcohol evaporates too quickly. Too little doesn't clean. 70% is a sweet spot.

    Thank you so much!
    70% is quite enough for disinfection, as far as I remember, according to the recommendations of the Health Organization, this is the minimum alcohol concentration for disinfection.

  13. #13
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    CDC guidelines
    Thank you for the links, with a recommendation I was a bit wrong. It says: "If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol". 60%, not 70%.

  15. #15
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john1298 View Post
    Thank you for the links, with a recommendation I was a bit wrong. It says: "If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol". 60%, not 70%.
    I had previously read from the CDC that it was a bit dependent on alcohol type:

    "CDC recommends the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as the preferred form of hand hygiene"

    I had that copy/pasted into a personal note, don't have the original CDC link offhand, but that could be what you had read somewhere else.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •