Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sound equipment carry solution

What I've missed most about traveling is the satisfaction of packing in a really efficient way. So I was tickled when I discovered I'd have to come up with a solution to carry the new upgraded sound equipment I decided I needed for all my online lectures and recordings.

I've been despairing of the sound quality from all the people recording from their homes. I'm a music professor, so I have feelings about how things sound. And I want my students to care how things sound. So I put my money where my mouth is and upgraded my equipment to a better microphone, XLR/Phono-USB mixer/passthrough, and all requisite cables and adapters.

I went to my bag of TB bags, and found the best fit, with the least unused space.

sound equipment carry solution-img_20200624_084141-jpg

Inside, it's organized with the cables (XLR, 2 USBs, headphone cable & adapter) in a clear DOP tethered to the o-ring in the front pocket. Then the mic and mixer fit together in an A5 gwop. Then I can just stick the headphones, mic clip, and laptop tripod mount in the PSCB main compartment.

sound equipment carry solution-img_20200624_084626-jpg

I'd like to find some foam padding I can cut to size just so there's a little cushion to it, but so far it's been fine for carrying everything to a different room in the house, or to my office, or wherever I need to use it.

The pieces missing from the setup are my laptop (which easily fits in whatever main bag I'm carrying) and the tripod and mic stand. It seems like the only solutions for long, skinny things are a quiver-like sling bag or lashing them to a main bag. Of course, I don't have a Guide's Edition anything, so none of my bags has lash points. So far I've just been strapping them together to carry them by hand.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    The pieces missing from the setup are my laptop (which easily fits in whatever main bag I'm carrying) and the tripod and mic stand. It seems like the only solutions for long, skinny things are a quiver-like sling bag or lashing them to a main bag. Of course, I don't have a Guide's Edition anything, so none of my bags has lash points. So far I've just been strapping them together to carry them by hand.
    Did you see what @Eric T posted yesterday with a tripod secured in a Brain Bag? Probably overkill for in-home tho

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post192025
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun! But that's a super tiny tripod. Mine is 26" when collapsed as small as it will go. I could strap it to the inside and let it stick out the top of a backpack, and the L15 would be well suited to that if I had to walk a ways with all of the stuff. But since I'm only carrying it from the car to my office, that doesn't seem any easier than just carrying the big stuff in my hand.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Fun! But that's a super tiny tripod. Mine is 26" when collapsed as small as it will go. I could strap it to the inside and let it stick out the top of a backpack, and the L15 would be well suited to that if I had to walk a ways with all of the stuff. But since I'm only carrying it from the car to my office, that doesn't seem any easier than just carrying the big stuff in my hand.
    Hi @Lia ,
    If you come across one of the old Tripod Quivers, you can carry your tripod slung cross-body by using an Absolute Strap or, my preference, a Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap, which I think you can still buy from the Tom Bihn folks, although it’s not listed on web pages any more, because the messenger bags it was designed for have been retired or, in the case of the original Parental Unit, redesigned so that the current version of the Bag can’t use it unless you hack things the way @Cristina and some others did to make it usable with the new Parental Unit or with other bags that weren’t designed to take it, like the Pilot.

I’ll quote one of my old posts that includes pictures in which I was simulating the length of a 23” music stand carried in the longer (20”) quiver by pulling my music stand pieces apart to show how much the end would stick up above the drawstring closure at the top. If you track back the links, you’ll find that a number of forum members have various folding music stands from high school/college, etc. The one I was carrying can also be seen in my posts #47 and #50 from December 2016 about using the Small Yeoman Duffel as a music bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Antman157, You know, don't you, that you could connect a shoulder strap (Absolute Strap or hacked version of the Quick-Adjust Messenger strap) directly to the Tripod Quiver, and wear it cross body in addition to carrying your Synapse 25 on your back?

Here are some pictures from my post on using the Tripod Quiver to carry music stands:

With the Absolute Strap:

With the Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap:

(Note that I was trying to simulate the size of the music stands in the origingal poster's question -- mine would not stick out past the top end of the (larger) Tripod Quiver shown in these pictures. Please read the linked post for descriptive content). In this case you could sling the Tripod Quiver bandolier-style across your body, while carrying other items in the Synapse 25 on your back. Just an example that you don't need to fit the quiver inside the Synapse 25 in order to carry it -- especially when this solution was originally devised for someone who wanted to carry lots of sheet music inside the Synapse.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @Lia ,
    If you come across one of the old Tripod Quivers, you can carry your tripod slung cross-body by using an Absolute Strap or, my preference, a Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap, which I think you can still buy from the Tom Bihn folks, although itís not listed on web pages any more, because the messenger bags it was designed for have been retired or, in the case of the original Parental Unit, redesigned so that the current version of the Bag canít use it unless you hack things the way @Cristina and some others did to make it usable with the new Parental Unit or with other bags that werenít designed to take it, like the Pilot.

Iíll quote one of my old posts that includes pictures in which I was simulating the length of a 23Ē music stand carried in the longer (20Ē) quiver by pulling my music stand pieces apart to show how much the end would stick up above the drawstring closure at the top. If you track back the links, youíll find that a number of forum members have various folding music stands from high school/college, etc. The one I was carrying can also be seen in my posts #47 and #50 from December 2016 about using the Small Yeoman Duffel as a music bag.
    As @moriond said, I took the buckle off a QAM strap and cut open an Absolute Strap to add it on. I am not sure of the name of the buckles but Iím sure there are other quick-release buckles out there that could be added (though getting them from a QAM strap ensured they were top quality).