Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 Packing Cubes

I am about ready to treat myself to an A30. I really like my A45, but think at times, I could go smaller.
    So, advice needed from the think tank: I am usually a big fan of packing cubes. Do you use them in this bag?
    Also - I'm looking at that beautiful Nordic. Would Island packing cubes be too much non-matching blue?

Ok enablers, what do you think?

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bothered about packing cubes for the end sections but highly recommend 1 x large and 2 small in the main compartment to keep my clothes organised

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with @gqb ’s recommendations, but i’d recommend getting at least one or two in the laundry variety, and I would get Northwest Sky instead of island with Nordic 400 d — also I’d order this quickly because the Nordic is there as a return. The color is actually retired.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use two or three A30 small laundry packing cubes in the main compartment and a small Snake Charmer & clear 3DOC in one end pocket.
    If I'm bringing flipflops, I use the A30 end pocket cube (solid aether) for those.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for everything said above.

1 large and 2 small cubes for the interior is great for organization. (Packing Cube Shoulder Bags also work great with this bag.)

Agree also with the recommendation for NW Sky over Island cubes: the Nordic Halcyon is a beautiful vibrant color, and using Island packing cubes with it might be a bit much, as they are definitely different shades of blue.

I have a Co-Pilot and S19 in Nordic Halcyon and love the color: sad it has been retired, but looking forward to seeing whatever is in the pipeline!

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a packing cube backpack and 2 small packing cubes for my A30. I generally use the packing cube backpack and one of the cubes. The remaining space is filled with a travel tray containing chargers etc and my camera. I don't use cubes for the end pockets.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last big trip with my A30, I used one large and one small packing cube in the main compartment which left space for the random things - travel tray, toiletries, raincoat etc. I realised about half way through that if I put the small cube and random things on the bottom and the large one on top, it made it easier when I got to the hotel to get to what I wanted, but I also checked my bag and didnít need to access things during travel, so that might not work for everyone. I had my shoes in an end pocket cube in one side pocket and a travel laundry stuff sack in the other - I love that thing and think it might be my favourite TB accessory.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t you already have cubes for the A45? They’ll work, or so I have read here. I have several REI expandable cubes. They work in all of my bags. Just my opinions, of course, I’ve not seen the need for specialized or multiple purpose cubes. Fun toys, sure, and I’ve had plenty of traveling toys over the years, but I’ve given up most of the superfluous, unneeded, duplicative, and inefficient stuff.

Forum Member
    Bay Area
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought A30 pack in cubes before I actually bought the bag to make sure I could fit what I normally take in them… And therefore in the bag. I bought one large and two small pack in cubes, all of the laundry variety. I love them and use them in pretty much every traveling situation whether or not the A30 is my bag choice for the trip. The laundry feature is really what I love, and what made me finally go away from my Eagle Creek specter compression cubes. I find that in the A30 in particular, I am able to fit much more into the bag with the packing cubes, and I love how organized everything is.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently travelling in the Greek Islands with my new Nordic Halcyon A30 and am using 2 end pocket packing cubes, 1 large A30 laundry cube and 2 Small A30 mesh cubes, along with a clear organiser cube for toiletries The arrangement works brilliantly for a weeks worth of clothes, 2 pairs of Gucci loafers and 2 pairs of flip-flops. I love the organisation and ease of access. Strongly recommend the full set of packing cubes

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    Donít you already have cubes for the A45? Theyíll work, or so I have read here. I have several REI expandable cubes. They work in all of my bags. Just my opinions, of course, Iíve not seen the need for specialized or multiple purpose cubes. Fun toys, sure, and Iíve had plenty of traveling toys over the years, but Iíve given up most of the superfluous, unneeded, duplicative, and inefficient stuff.
    Larger A45 cubes will ďworkĒ in smaller A30, but of course only if you do not fill them to capacity. Which somewhat defeats real benefit of packing cubes and optimising/organising packing. Whilst packing cubes are agreed not an essential, I do find them an efficient benefit for packing and ease of use at destinations.
    Last edited by BigBadD; 09-06-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Sage advice offered here, as always. I've pulled the trigger on my new A30 and a set of packing cubes. Now I just need a ticket somewhere....

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought three of the A30 Laundry Packing Cubes (1 L and 2 S), even though I don't actually have an A30. What I do have, however, is a Synik 22, a Western Flyer, and a recent realization that I NEED Laundry cubes:

• The A30 Packing Cubes are listed here as the recommended packing cubes for the Synik 22, so I'd already planned to pick these up to use in that bag.
    • The Western Flyer has its own dedicated Packing Cubes, but none of them are the Laundry version. Fortunately, a test pack revealed that one Large A30 cube and one Small A30 cube fit into the main compartment of my WF rather neatly. I should note that I don't tend to stuff my Packing Cubes, I use them strictly for organization.